Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Oliva V Figurado

Cigar: Oliva V figurado
Wrapper: Habano Sun Grown
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero
Vitola: Figurado 6x60
Price: $9 at my local shop, much cheaper online

Setting: Sun room, bout 50 degrees out, 5pm, pairing with a peach Snapple.

Prelight: The cigar is a nice looking figurad with a tapered head and a nippled foot. The wrapper is a nice medium brown, with a dull sheen to it. The wrap is nice and smooth with only a couple medium sized veins. The cigar is firm from head to foot with no noticible soft spots. Cut easily with the Palio and the cold draw was a bit tight with a bit of spice.

First third: Well, the cigar lit up easily though I was trying not to burn the wrap behind the nipple. The initial puffs blasted me with pepper and spice, surprising me cause I didn't remember that from the other vitolas of these I've had. Once the flame got past the nipple the draw opened up as I expected. The spice mellowed a bit but was still the most immediate sensation with each puff. As I got to about the first inch a leather component came to the fore, along with a woody/cedar flavor. The cigar was also burning at quite a slant. Normally I let these play out and see if they correct themselves but this one just gave me the feeling it needed some help. After the touchup things were right as rain, the the burn line continues to be a bit thick and wavy. The ash itself is on the dark and flakey side and finally dropped at a little after an inch. The finish is heavy and pleasant, but the spice is irritating the back of my throat. So far so good though.

Second third: The slanted burn line has returned. I'm wondering if the Stinky is acting like a parabolic dish for the cold slowing down the burn on one side. The leather and wood flavors remain with a bit of coffee coming through now too. The spice is subsiding a bit but my throat is still a bit irritated. I must say other than the irritation this is one of the better tasting Vs I've had. At about the half way point a bit of chocolate is coming into the mix on the finish. It may have been there all along and just overpowered by the spice. The finish continues to be thick and pleasant, especially with the spice mellowing.

Final third: The harshness on the back of the throat has completely gone away and the cigar is just leaving a nice spice on the tongue. The flavors continue to be very nice and the burn is pretty nice too if a bit wavy. The ash is a tad flakey but seems to always hold together till about the inch and a half mark. As I get near the nub it's getting hot and and the spice is really coming back. Overall a nice smoke with a burn time of 1:45.

Final thoughts: Well, I must say I've enjoyed this more than any of the Vs I've had before, I found the lanceros to be really hit and miss draw wise, and the robustos kinda bland. This one was chock full of good flavors.

Liked it: Yep
Buy again: Not for 9 bucks, but for sure if it's a good deal.
Reccommend: Yep
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default Re: Oliva V Figurado

Very nice review Steve, and great pics. I got a 5er of the Beliscos. I have only had 1 so far but enjoyed it very much
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the good review and pictures.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
SixPackSunday

i loved the robusto and torpedo, cant wait to get a chance to find/smoke a figurado

thanks for a great review.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Steve!!!

I love the Fig and Lancero!!! Both are very different from each other!!!

The Fig was my first V!!! I have one left from my first split... Steve, it's your when you get to Chico!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review, this is probably the only V I haven't tried yet.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Waynegro1

Thanks for the review, Steve. I absolutely love the Serie V line especially the Beli. A friend of mine thought the "spice" was a bit much, but I LOVE me some spice. Thanks again for the review and great pic's.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Yazzie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mark
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
Yazzie will become famous soon enough

Very Nice Review. The V Torpedos are one of my Staples.....
Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote