Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
auburnfan1980

Default Tatuaje RC184

Before I get flamed for this, please allow me this disclaimer:

The camera on my Blackberry inexplicably won't open, giving me some sort of message like, "must close other applications." So before you guys whine about the lack of visual aids, let me say

edit: There's a stock image just in case

With that, onto the review!

Size: 7.25 x 57
Wrapper: Nicaragua Criollo ’99
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: $19.00

Initial Presentation

The wrapper is gorgeous with only one small vein, but upon pressing and rolling it gently between my fingers, there's a pronounced soft spot in the very middle....almost as if something has damaged it. I took the silver foil wrapper off the end and when taking the band off, a small bit of wrapper came off with it. Yes, perhaps I should have waited until the head loosened the glue a bit, but oh well...on we go!

Pre-light Draw

Upon cutting the tip at an angle, I found the draw was initially tight as is the case with most perfectos I've smoked. After lighting the tapered foot, it actually started with a perfect burn, but still a very tight draw and little smoke. Once the burn gets past the tapered end, however, the draw really opens up and I began to assess the situation.

First 1/3

The initial flavor is predominantly cedar with very very subtle spice accompanying it. This is the primary flavor throughout this portion, which thus far is definitely not a bad thing. Small notes of nutmeg come to the surface, but cedar is definitely what I'm getting thus far.

Second 1/3

Boy, this thing isn't letting up with it's cedary flavor profile! I purged the cigar for the first time and with the very next draw, a burst of roasted nuts makes itself known to the palate. These flavors are complementing one another well as the cigar continues to burn quite well despite it's shape and the soft spot I initially found, which seems to be giving me no problem whatsoever.

Final 1/3

I began this portion with another purge, and get hit instantly with a burst of the same spice from earlier along with a tad bit of pepper that I've been looking for and just now found. Finally! This cigar seems to show a bit of complexity- which isn't always a good thing as a one-dimensional smoke is fine as long as it's a fantastic dimension Slowly, it begins to finish smooth with a very subtle hint of caramel before suddenly ending bitter with an inch left.

Conclusion

For you Habanos connoisseurs, this offering reminds me very much of the San Cristobal Muralles in that it's not terribly complex, and is filled with heavy heavy notes of cedar while retailing for about the same price. Value-wise, I'd much rather smoke the Tatuaje Reserva SW, which is significantly better and more complex. Overall, a good smoke and feel blessed to have tried it, however....there's no way I'd pay retail for this cigar again IMHO.

Jason
Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tatuaje RC184

Great Review Even Without The Pics, Jason! The Reserva SW Is My Fav. Tat!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tatuaje RC184

Damn fine review Jason!!