Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #3101
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I thought you had gone over to my idea with the hot dogs...FYI, country style ribs are fine on the grill with rub
and time at low heat...just because they are sliced, they are still thick enough to smoke well without drying,
if you pull them early enough. Of course wrapped in bacon is hard to beat. But I like mine fully smoked, and the
bacon retards that action. The country-styles are my favorite non-rib meat on the grill.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #3102
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I was thinking that too regarding the smoke flavor not penetrating through. I ended up leaving some gaps while wrapping them to allow at least a little smoke through. The "ribs" did look like they had a smoke ring on them. Couldn't tell you how they tasted, got a helluva cough, and am constantly loaded up on robitussin.

Good to know about throwing the country styles straight on the grill. I used to only cook them in the crock pot on days I was extremely lazy.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #3103
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Before I learned to smoke meat, way back when I was in high school, I used to grill these
out on the patio.
They were good for sure, and luckily the ample fat gives the otherwise plain white meat a real snappy crust,
but it ain't nothing like a good smoked one. Don't forget NOT TO SMOKE cigs while you have a cold, no matter
how addicted you are...just adds days to the bad time in the penalty box.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #3104
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Still haven't had a cigarette since that thread back in July, brother. And haven't looked back since!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #3105
Scootergptx

Smoked three racks of baby back ribs over the weekend. Had the leftovers today for lunch.

Kind of an expected thing now. If they know I'm smoking something, I'm sitting on the patio smoking a cigar while I am.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #3106
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Still haven't had a cigarette since that thread back in July, brother. And haven't looked back since!
Well that's good, I guess that means you got over your illness, then.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #3107
OLS
Suck It

OK, the weekend's meat selections have been removed from the freezer. I have a full length rack of beef ribs that have
perhaps unfortunately been sawn in half lengthwise, maybe to save packaging. But they have the full complement of meat
on them, or at least more than the usual piggly wiggly rape scene. And just to make sure we get it all, I have two packs of
flanken-cut beef ribs on deck.
I am not sure there will be any straight grilling selections this weekend. I am not even sure I can get to the reduced rack
to pick up anything extra. Tomorrow is going to be a full day. I do LIKES ME some smoking time, though. If it cools
off this weekend, all bets may be off. It is not scheduled to.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #3108
OLS
Suck It

S N O R E ! ! !
You people must be awfully busy these days.
Anyway, here are a few pics of last night's fare.
Rack of cut beef ribs and some flanken slabs.

Looks like I slathered on the SBRs too late. Didn't
carmelize. It did in my stomach, though.

This is my half, the neighbors took half the rack
and half the flankenplanken....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beef ribs May.jpg (106.1 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg beefribs may 2.jpg (102.1 KB, 384 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #3109
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

YUM! Thanks for the pics Brad.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #3110
OLS
Suck It

Hehe, picked up 6 more bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's original sauce today at Big Lahts.
I can't be blamed if they don't realize that those expiration dates is jest a siggestion.
They are massive bottles that say 50% more FREE! And man, is that stuff good.
$2.00 a 28oz bottle...why that's nigh on a quart! OK, sure I jest a bit, but only because
it's slow around here lately and I have a giant bag of sauce. I have been a dry, rub-only
guy throughout my lifetime of barbecueing and 4-5 years of smoking, but now I put that
stuff on everything.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #3111
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Hehe, picked up 6 more bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's original sauce today at Big Lahts.
I can't be blamed if they don't realize that those expiration dates is jest a siggestion.
They are massive bottles that say 50% more FREE! And man, is that stuff good.
$2.00 a 28oz bottle...why that's nigh on a quart! OK, sure I jest a bit, but only because
it's slow around here lately and I have a giant bag of sauce. I have been a dry, rub-only
guy throughout my lifetime of barbecueing and 4-5 years of smoking, but now I put that
stuff on everything.
There's a pulled pork recipe my wife found where the sauce is made from Sweet Baby Ray's and Pepsi. But, since I consider Pepsi to be the elixir of all that's evil made by Satan himself, she made it with the sweet nectar of the gods, Dr Pepper. And it was excellent. When I find the recipe, I'll post it on one of the other food threads. It might be a great marinade for ribs.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #3112
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonw560 View Post
There's a pulled pork recipe my wife found where the sauce is made from Sweet Baby Ray's and Pepsi. But, since I consider Pepsi to be the elixir of all that's evil made by Satan himself, she made it with the sweet nectar of the gods, Dr Pepper. And it was excellent. When I find the recipe, I'll post it on one of the other food threads. It might be a great marinade for ribs.
I use root-beer as a base for smoking halibut and tuna.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #3113
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Wondering what dual probe thermometers you guys currently use. I'm looking at a Maverick ET-73 right now. Can anyone comment on it? Dunno if I should start an entire thread for a quick question about something so closely related to this thread.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #3114
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?

First Name: Nick
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonw560 View Post
There's a pulled pork recipe my wife found where the sauce is made from Sweet Baby Ray's and Pepsi. But, since I consider Pepsi to be the elixir of all that's evil made by Satan himself...
I'm in the same boat. Pepsi is awful

Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #3115
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Wondering what dual probe thermometers you guys currently use. I'm looking at a Maverick ET-73 right now. Can anyone comment on it? Dunno if I should start an entire thread for a quick question about something so closely related to this thread.
I have this unit, works well. Love the fact I can set it up and carry the remote in the house and monitor temps from in there while I do other stuff. Range is decent, even through walls. Well worth picking up one.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #3116
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I have this unit, works well. Love the fact I can set it up and carry the remote in the house and monitor temps from in there while I do other stuff. Range is decent, even through walls. Well worth picking up one.
Thanks! amazon has them right now for $31 shipped. Ordering one right now.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #3117
OLS
Suck It

Once again it seems like the world is NOT SMOKING, so I have to carry you deadweights, lol.
TONIGHT'S fare, western style pork ribs, my boy peter got me thinking about these things, and the kid downstairs
loves em as much as I do, so while I smoked a tiny pork butt, I figured I would throw a few of these on to smoke
for snacks....and a few of them even SURVIVED to picture time!

If I can get the butt off the smoker and onto a plate soon enough and in time to load up a pic in 15 minutes, I will add
a pic of the butt, too, but I am guessing it will have to be a second entry....enjoy! SLATHERED in sweet baby ray's
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #3118
OLS
Suck It

Eh, the administrator probably thinks 15 minutes is a long time.....ask his wife, lol...

This is not the best picture of a 'small butt' you will ever see, but it tase-eses good.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #3119
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Once again it seems like the world is NOT SMOKING, so I have to carry you deadweights, lol...
...Quit being such a martyr Brad

BTW, that is some nice looking meat that you've posted here I'm gonna be cranking up the smoker tomorrow to try out some new rub on a couple of tri-tips...
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #3120
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Taking it easy today,2 butts, 2 small brisket flats and a slab of ribs.

Now for the hard part...Mother's Day house cleaning. ARGH!