Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #81
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Our deck just showed up.

Wow, you da man!
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #82
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

Scott, you are very talented! looks fabulous man
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #83
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I took the tent down and started putting tools away today. I have a few odds and ends left, but those things won't require half the stuff I had out there. So I decided to roll up, and I'll redeploy with the right stuff for phase 2.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #84
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

After completing my deck of nearly 700 sq ft myself with 99% of the boards being cut at an angle on both ends, I can assure you how much more time it takes to complete it.

Looks great.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #85
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Very nice job, looks awesome...
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #86
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I took the tent down and started putting tools away today. I have a few odds and ends left, but those things won't require half the stuff I had out there. So I decided to roll up, and I'll redeploy with the right stuff for phase 2.
Phase 2.a
Then Phase 2.b
Then 2.b.1a
Then ....
Is how most of my biggest projects end up. Here's hoping yous isn't that way.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #87
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Phase 2.a
Then Phase 2.b
Then 2.b.1a
Then ....
Is how most of my biggest projects end up. Here's hoping yous isn't that way.
I smell something like that on the horizon. I made sure we could bring the concrete sidewalk around back, but I don't see that happening. Phase 2 is just skirting it and building storage underneath. It's not a big deal, but it'll take some time.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #88
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Under Deck storage? Is this where the balls go?
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #89
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Just screwed down the last board on this dirty whore. There's some little stuff to do, an evening here, an evening there, but it's nothing that needs bothered with for now.
If I didn't want to do all the extra stuff, it'd just be done. I have to go help the father-in-law with his deck now. That's good, cause I can get reacquainted with my motorcycle for a couple hours a day driving back and forth.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #90
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
Trading: (2)
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Looks great man! Awesome work!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #91
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Sweet deck Scott. About the size of my first house. Congratulations.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #92
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Spectacular Scott. My back yard is not big enough for a deck that size.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #93
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

We had it all lit up last night, I wish I'd have gotten pics. I'll try to remember to do that tonight.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #94
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I'm coming around the last corner with the skirting. I'm super pleased with how it's turning out.
I had concepted this skirting design in my little brain and it looked super easy. Once I started figuring out how to deploy the idea it got really hard. It required me to work from the front side of the deck and the back side, and it was sheer hell. I put a section in and it didn't do the view-blocking I wanted at all and I was completely stifled as how to math it out so it worked. Plus my whole method of building it sucked.
Then I got sick for about a month. That gave me time to think on how to get this thing done. I figured out how to put up backing so I could do it all by myself from the front side and figured out the depth of the inside boards and height relation to the front boards. I went back out last week, tore out everything I had done, and started fresh.
It worked like a charm.
So I've been picking away at this for the last week, an hour or two here and there. Today I'm hoping I can last long enough to get it all finished up.
Then I have to go to Phase III and replace all the wood that's seeping sap, redo the stair treads by the sliding glass door, and finish around a dryer vent.
Then Phase IV will be to try and dodge raindrops and get the skirting stained, stain the replaced wood, areas I sanded out, and all the cracks between ten million boards.
Phase V will be running electric to all the lighting, putting in a switch outside (or inside), and adding lighting beneath the deck to light up the skirting.
Nothing to it.
Here's a couple shots of the skirting...

Side finished on the face...

Front of the deck finished under the cantilever. You can see how the two layers of 5/4 board work so the air comes right through but you can't see through it...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #95
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I'm also leaving three sections between the posts "open", meaning I can just pull screws to remove the skirting between posts. Once the wood dries and shrinks up, I can panelize these areas and turn the skirting into swinging doors or easily removable panels.
One area will definately have to swing so the kids can get their bikes out from under the deck without a bunch of grief. I may build a garage door of sorts in that area that will just roll up, or use receding barn-door glides. I can struggle with that later.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #96
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

Fantastic job building your new deck, It was great to look through and see the progress of your work.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #97
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Awesome looking deck bro!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #98
Lonely Raven

That looks too nice compared to your neighbors deck! LOL

Oh, and fingers go BEHIND the lens, not in front.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #99
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Scott, I am loving the way you finished off the underside walls, looks way better than and open space!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #100
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I got all the way around with the skirting and rolled my mess back again. It's supposed to start raining here tomorrow, I'll have to get back on this when it clears up.