Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Troops Room

Old 10-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Son looking at military...advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Definitely check out the service academies as well as ROTC scholarships. The Navy is paying my son's tuition and his school kicked in room & board to make it a full boat scholarship. Plus he gets $750- per year for books AND he gets a monthly stipend from the Navy: $250-/mo as a Freshman, $300-/mo as a Sophomore.

When he graduates in a couple years, he'll be an Ensign.

ROTC gives him the best of both worlds -- guarantee of commissioning as an officer upon graduation while enjoying a fairly typical civilian college experience.

Good luck in whatever he decides to do!
+1. I ended up turning this down to go the Academy route, but there are certainly days where I wonder what it would have been like. I have many very close friends from high school (we had a JROTC program), go this route, and are doing some awesome things. I would say that its main advantage over an Academy (depending on how you look at it) is that you will get the "normal" college experience before Commissioning, which is something I definitely would have loved.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

He's too late for Academy selection this year. I am interviewing kids right now for USAFA. Budget cuts hit everywhere. USAFA admissions were down 15% last year. We turned down 500 exceptionally qualified applicants. Selections will be down another 10% this year. If he hustled he might get his stuff together for this year but highly doubtful. 1200 SATS minimum to even be looked at - he better score 1350 or better. AP classes (Physics, chem, calc, etc), varsity athlete, student council, and lots of community activities to make his Academy application/interview process even minimally competitive.

In my view look to the Guard/Reserve. Specifically Guard. I wish somebody had pointed me in that direction, or I at least knew about it when I was younger. If he enlists in the Guard, oh BTW there is an AF program that allows Seniors in HS to enlist in the Guard, it is likely the state (MN for you it looks like) will pay his tuition at any state school. So you really don't have to worry about winning an ROTC scholarshiop to have your college paid for. Although ROTC is a great option and he can do that too. If he happens to go with MN Guard and go to college at the same time he can get a commission when he graduates but since he was in the Guard for the previous 4 years he will be 20% on his way to be eligible for a military retirement. He can even go active duty if he wants after he is commissioned, but because he has 4 good years of Federal Military service with the Guard he would only need 16 more years to be eligible for retirement.

I am biased but my feeling is that Air Force takes care of their people the best. Base facilities and basing opportunities I also think are uniformly excellent with the AF.

UAVs are the latest best thing, but the AF will always have a need for manned aircraft. In my view if he starts with UAVs he might find he wants to actually move into manned aircraft and the AF will find his UAV experience compelling when he competes for a pilot slot. And we happen to have a s-load of airplanes, although the Army's got lots of those "spinny" things.

I was USAFA, 10 years active, and last 11 years in the Reserves. Pretty much loved all my time on Active duty, mixed feelings about time in Reserves.

FWIW
Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Met with the MN Army Nat'l Guard yesterday. Good meeting. Probably the most forthright recruiter we have visited with. He's been doing recruiting in this area for 14 years and figures he has to drill with the guys he signs up...really doesn't like the idea of getting trashed for lying so he just tells the truth...good or bad.

Currently leaning this way to get through school. Still mulling options. Thanks again for all of your input. We REALLY appreciate your candor.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
Mikess
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Army
Mikess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Also, make sure it is a job that has a civilian counterpart..so when his time in the service is over, he can start a second career in the civilian sector.
This is very very important. Skilled traits are good and all but a job that actually requires certificates/licenses/diplomas is better. Best of luck to ya'll. Also don't listen to the recruiters civilian counterpart, they can make one up for any job. Do a little research on you own. There are many groups out there that will help you.
Mikess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
Steelerfanatic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
RA Navy (Served With Honor)
Steelerfanatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Definitely check out the service academies as well as ROTC scholarships. The Navy is paying my son's tuition and his school kicked in room & board to make it a full boat scholarship. Plus he gets $750- per year for books AND he gets a monthly stipend from the Navy: $250-/mo as a Freshman, $300-/mo as a Sophomore.

When he graduates in a couple years, he'll be an Ensign.

ROTC gives him the best of both worlds -- guarantee of commissioning as an officer upon graduation while enjoying a fairly typical civilian college experience.

Good luck in whatever he decides to do!
This is what I would do. I went Navy enlisted and was lucky enough to be picked up for Intelligence School. Did 15 years enlisted and the last 4 as an officer. Half reserves half active time.

If I had to do it over I would go the above route. The QOL in the commissioned ranks is much much better.
Steelerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Air Force without question. OK I'm partial,but it is the way to go as far as military branches go. I would not recomend the Guard or Reserve as I believe you either do something 100% or not at all. As Yoda said,"there is no try, only do or do not" the Guard and Reserve seam like you are uncommitted. JMHO. By the way I did finish college after my enlistment which did have me involved in Desert Storm.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #27
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Go Navy!

Don't this sh*t look cool?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #28
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post

Go Navy!

Don't this sh*t look cool?

Good looking WLR-9 Sharks Tooth on the bow
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I'm still saying go USAF. Best quality of life, best bases, shortest deployments.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #30
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post

Good looking WLR-9 Sharks Tooth on the bow
It lights up when you put an electric razor in a torpedo tube.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #31
Ubiquitous
Living life at top speed

First Name: Travis
Trading: (6)
Montecristo CoastGuard (Active)
Ubiquitous is on a distinguished road

USCG For 13 years so far, and I don't regret a thing.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #32
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Scott has he made a choice???

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #33
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks View Post
Scott has he made a choice???
Not yet...to the frustration of many recruiters. Leaning pretty heavy for guard to pay for school (100% in MN) then Air Force.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #34
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
It lights up when you put an electric razor in a torpedo tube.
!!!!ROFL
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #35
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
I'm still saying go USAF. Best quality of life, best bases, shortest deployments.
I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with you on this one. QOL depends on where you're located, best bases as well, and as far as shortest deployments, my niece did a 15 month tour as an AF Staff Sergeant while I know some other branches do deployments in the area of 2-3 months maximum (depending on many factors).

Gentlemen,

I would like to say to all who have given sage advice is to please continue to advise and not sell your service to Scott or his son. I have seen many state that research is key and that they can only speak for their branch they served. Please continue this process of passing knowledge to those who seek it.

To those who try and sell their branch as the best amongst all please stop. I mean this with all sincerity and honesty. We all look like fools when we attempt to downplay each other. This is definitely not the example we would want for others to emulate especially when trying to decide which branch of service to choose. Our espirit de corps as a fighting force, whichever branch it may be, must continue on as a legacy that has always been bound together by trust and loyalty.

For those who say recruiters lie, I PERSONALLY take offense to that comment for I myself was a recruiter for 3 years and can swear on a Bible and any of my children's lives that I never lied to any applicant. I actually at one time worked under one of my applicants. Every single time I see one they thank me for introducing them to this life we have chosen to pursue.

Scott,

Many have already harped on it but all I can say is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!! There are so many factors in trying to decide which branch, what occupational field, etc. If you need any specific questions answered from individuals whom you would feel would give you the low-down on the branch then we are here as brothers and sisters to help you and your son. But please understand that we only know so much as far as our branches are concerned. It is not possible to know everything there is to know.

I deeply appreciate you doing this together with your son. I know I wish I had my father helping me decide when I made my decision to enlist. If he feels he might be getting rushed into something and needs to hurry to decide then my suggestion would be not to do it. This is not a decision that should be made on rush terms. This is the beginning of a possible career and like I told my brother-in-law when he graduated high school, welcome to life. This can also be a very good learning experience for him. Just as long as he learns from it.

Whatever his decision may be, I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors. My hats off to both of you. You for the support you are giving him and your son for even contemplating the thought of the military. I have a feeling that if he decides to enlist or commission that he will serve the nation proudly and make his father even prouder.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #36
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough

Where the heck is the clapping smilie?

Sage advice J!

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #37
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgusP2 View Post

Sage advice J!
Anything for you, my friend

Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #38
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Jay, well written advise, but, although you are no doubt a very honest recruiter there are plenty who will and do lie to an applicant to get him or her to enlist. Advising a young man possibly unfamiliar with the enlistment process to be somewhat skeptical when dealing with recruiters is good advice.

Oh and to you comment about selling my(our) particular branch...it should be part of the fun to needle the different branches while taking pride in yours...go AF...Those who have served should take pride and respectfully poke a bit at the various branches...go AF...All vets have my respect, however I will continue to show pride in my particular branch...go AF...accept good natured needling, and give good natured, respectful needling to the other branches...go AF...

Thanks for your service Jay, I think the young man can take some very sound advice from this thread.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #39
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with you on this one. QOL depends on where you're located, best bases as well, and as far as shortest deployments, my niece did a 15 month tour as an AF Staff Sergeant while I know some other branches do deployments in the area of 2-3 months maximum (depending on many factors).

Gentlemen,

I would like to say to all who have given sage advice is to please continue to advise and not sell your service to Scott or his son. I have seen many state that research is key and that they can only speak for their branch they served. Please continue this process of passing knowledge to those who seek it.

To those who try and sell their branch as the best amongst all please stop. I mean this with all sincerity and honesty. We all look like fools when we attempt to downplay each other. This is definitely not the example we would want for others to emulate especially when trying to decide which branch of service to choose. Our espirit de corps as a fighting force, whichever branch it may be, must continue on as a legacy that has always been bound together by trust and loyalty.

For those who say recruiters lie, I PERSONALLY take offense to that comment for I myself was a recruiter for 3 years and can swear on a Bible and any of my children's lives that I never lied to any applicant. I actually at one time worked under one of my applicants. Every single time I see one they thank me for introducing them to this life we have chosen to pursue.

Scott,

Many have already harped on it but all I can say is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!! There are so many factors in trying to decide which branch, what occupational field, etc. If you need any specific questions answered from individuals whom you would feel would give you the low-down on the branch then we are here as brothers and sisters to help you and your son. But please understand that we only know so much as far as our branches are concerned. It is not possible to know everything there is to know.

I deeply appreciate you doing this together with your son. I know I wish I had my father helping me decide when I made my decision to enlist. If he feels he might be getting rushed into something and needs to hurry to decide then my suggestion would be not to do it. This is not a decision that should be made on rush terms. This is the beginning of a possible career and like I told my brother-in-law when he graduated high school, welcome to life. This can also be a very good learning experience for him. Just as long as he learns from it.

Whatever his decision may be, I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors. My hats off to both of you. You for the support you are giving him and your son for even contemplating the thought of the military. I have a feeling that if he decides to enlist or commission that he will serve the nation proudly and make his father even prouder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgusP2 View Post

Sage advice J!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Anything for you, my friend

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #40
dman4505
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Don
Trading: (4)
Navy (Served With Honor)
dman4505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Go Navy!