Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road
Default Humidor and Coolidor Too Hot?

My hygrometer is saying that I'm well above 70, and on it's high memory function, it's show in the 80's. I just purchased a coolidor (will post pictures later), and this thing is well over 70 for sure inside. I live in Southern Caliofornia but right now, the weather is not that hot. Does anyone know how to solve or at least alleviate this problem?
Raralith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Re: Humidor and Coolidor Too Hot?

Get the hell out of CA?

AC is your friend. Downstairs if you have one is usually the coolest part of your home. If nothing else put the cooler in front of the duct blowing out the cool air.

Consistent temperature over 72-4 degrees allows beetle hatching. The thing is all major manufacturers say they freeze the cigars. If these are current production cigars you probably will be ok. The paranoid here might opine differently.

Older Cuban cigars (pre 03) were not or at least not consistently frozen. Much bigger concern there.
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Do people in S. Cal have basements? My coolers live in the basement and never got over 70 all summer.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road

I live an apartment witht he wife so there's not a whole lot of places I can put it. Maybe in the dinning room and leave the fan on?

As for basements in Southern California, excluding down stairs parking, I've only known of 5 or so houses out of 500 that have a basement; it is very uncommon.

Anyone from Southern California have this problem and can tell me what they do?
Raralith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
funnymantrip

I'm not in California, but Florida and definately the summer months it's quite hot. Since I can't afford to keep my house at 70 for the entire summer, f the most part my humi is in the upper 70s sometimes into the 80s.

I have not hand any sort of beetle infestation, nor have realized any ill effects from my cigars. Even the BM's really can't keep the entire place in the low 70s for the summers.

I do keep my humidity 65-67% btw.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Dgar

On days when the sun is just blazing and the AC just dosent cut it during that hottest part of the day, I have taken freeze packs wrapped in a towel or plastic bag and stuck them in the cooler for a few hours.

I only have to deal with this a few days a year, if its something you have to constantly battle, a Vinotemp might work out well.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
shaggy
just pokin around.....

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
shaggy will become famous soon enough

we get pretty warm here in the summer but i keep mine in the basement where it is a bit cooler and i got a wine cooler just to be one of the cool guys....
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

I froze all my cigars because I was paranoid about beetles...I live in Florida and my temp in my cooler and humi are mid to high 70's and I haven't had 1 beetle in the stogies I haven't froze yet...
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote