Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #481
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Red's Fans Check in

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post

Playoffs are always possible, but I don't think it'll be this year.
Its only a matter of time before Votto is traded away for another '#1 prospect' like Jay (2 for 20) Bruce.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #482
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Its only a matter of time before Votto is traded away for another '#1 prospect' like Jay (2 for 20) Bruce.
We can't afford to keep Votto around after his contract is up. He'll be worth too much (providing he stays healthy and keeps up his current level of production).

Bruce isn't that bad. He'll get more consistent. Phillips, Bruce, and Votto are the heart of this team right now (not saying much for us). And Rolen.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #483
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
We can't afford to keep Votto around after his contract is up. He'll be worth too much (providing he stays healthy and keeps up his current level of production).

Bruce isn't that bad. He'll get more consistent. Phillips, Bruce, and Votto are the heart of this team right now (not saying much for us). And Rolen.
Bruce hit somewhere around .220 last season. Not bad for the kid who was supposed to replace Josh Hamilton. The problem is the Reds force young 'talent' into the majors before they are ready or despite the fact they will never be ready.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #484
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Bruce hit somewhere around .220 last season. Not bad for the kid who was supposed to replace Josh Hamilton. The problem is the Reds force young 'talent' into the majors before they are ready or despite the fact they will never be ready.
I'd rather have Bruce than Hamilton. Hamilton is the better player, but look what's happening to him again. I was angry about the Hamilton trade for a long time until we saw that he was turning back to his old lifestyle. Bruce doesn't have integrity problems and we don't have to worry about what condition he shows up to play in, or whether he shows up at all. Hamilton is a gamble.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #485
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Here's an interesting column about the Reds and arbitration.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...itration+blues

Insert quote here.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #486
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Here's an interesting column about the Reds and arbitration.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...itration+blues
Interesting article. I really like Daugherty's articles. He came to my old high school (Elder) and talked to us one day. It was fun to pick his brain on different topics. The coolest speaker we ever had was Dan Patrick. He was hilarious!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #487
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Interesting article. I really like Daugherty's articles. He came to my old high school (Elder) and talked to us one day. It was fun to pick his brain on different topics. The coolest speaker we ever had was Dan Patrick. He was hilarious!
Daugherty's much more interesting than Fay.

I like Patrick's interviews in SI.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #488
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Looks like Orlando Cabrera is going to be our starting SS this year. Janish is a better fielder but he doesn't have the bat. Cabrera is error prone, more than EE was when he played for us.

I say fugg 'em both and call up Frazier. Decent fielder and a decent bat.

It won't happen, but here's what I'd like to see as our 2010 starting lineup:

1. Dickerson CF
2. Frazier SS
3. Votto LF
4. Phillips 2B
5. Bruce RF
6. Rolen 3B
7. Alonso 1B
8. Hernandez C

Yeah, I know Votto should be on first, but we can't just let Yonder Alonso rot down in Carolina and Louisville. He's too good to be held back. If Dunn can play LF, then Votto can surely hold his own out there.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #489
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

The thing that scares me about kids from Triple-A is they don't develop there for some reason. Prime example is Homer Bailey, they throw the kid to the wolves in the big show and he gets eaten alive. Its like they never teach them anything on their way through the system and by the time they are forced to the top they aren't ready.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #490
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
The thing that scares me about kids from Triple-A is they don't develop there for some reason. Prime example is Homer Bailey, they throw the kid to the wolves in the big show and he gets eaten alive. Its like they never teach them anything on their way through the system and by the time they are forced to the top they aren't ready.
Homer didn't do too bad the last half of the year. I think he finally has his head on right. Now he actually throws a strike on the 1st pitch.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #491
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
It seems in our system that the best development comes out of AA Carolina. I agree that Louisville doesn't seem like the best place to develop talent (especially pitchers), although with the new pitching coach, that could change.
Quote:
Homer didn't do too bad the last half of the year. I think he finally has his head on right. Now he actually throws a strike on the 1st pitch.
Homer worked out a lot of his problems late in the season. I only hope he remains that way going in to 2010.

And it looks like Cabrera is officially a Red, so Frazier is either out or part of the LF/CF platoon. Please don't let Tavares be in CF again...

Insert quote here.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #492
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Looks like we could have a pretty damn good infield this year with the addition of Cabrera
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #493
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:

I don't see us not holding on to Votto, imo he will and should be a staple of Reds baseball for a long time to come
Old 01-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #494
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
I don't see us not holding on to Votto, imo he will and should be a staple of Reds baseball for a long time to come
I hope this is true, but with teams with much bigger payrolls out there and Votto being predicted to be a superhero...

Insert quote here.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #495
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
I hope this is true, but with teams with much bigger payrolls out there and Votto being predicted to be a superhero...
Lets just hope the Reds pony up the cash to keep him
Old 02-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #496
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

02/01/10 10 PM EST
Reds acquire Miles in four-player deal
Taveras dealt to A's but then designated for assignment

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
CINCINNATI -- The Reds acquired infielder Aaron Miles and a player to be named later from the A's on Monday for center fielder Willy Taveras and infielder Adam Rosales.

Taveras was promptly designated for assignment by Oakland.

The move followed an unsuccessful season in Cincinnati for Taveras, who was due to make $4 million in 2010, the final season of a two-year contract. In 102 games, he batted .240 with a .275 on-base percentage and 25 steals as the Reds' leadoff hitter.

Miles was also a disappointment in 2009 after he signed a two-year contract with the Cubs. He batted .185 in 74 games. The 33-year-old is due to make $2.7 million this season.

Over his seven big league seasons with the White Sox, Rockies, Cardinals and Cubs, Miles is a .282 career hitter with a .322 on-base percentage.

Taveras, who missed several games with various injuries, became more expendable once prospect Drew Stubbs reached the Majors in August. Taveras can only play center field and would have been of limited use from the bench.

Rosales, 26, batted .213 with four homers and 19 RBIs in 87 games during his rookie season. Known for his enthusiasm and hustle, he just spent the weekend with manager Dusty Baker as part of a Reds Winter Caravan tour.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? I hated Taveras, but really liked Rosales.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #497
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

02/01/10 10 PM EST
Reds acquire Miles in four-player deal
Taveras dealt to A's but then designated for assignment

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
CINCINNATI -- The Reds acquired infielder Aaron Miles and a player to be named later from the A's on Monday for center fielder Willy Taveras and infielder Adam Rosales.

Taveras was promptly designated for assignment by Oakland.

The move followed an unsuccessful season in Cincinnati for Taveras, who was due to make $4 million in 2010, the final season of a two-year contract. In 102 games, he batted .240 with a .275 on-base percentage and 25 steals as the Reds' leadoff hitter.

Miles was also a disappointment in 2009 after he signed a two-year contract with the Cubs. He batted .185 in 74 games. The 33-year-old is due to make $2.7 million this season.

Over his seven big league seasons with the White Sox, Rockies, Cardinals and Cubs, Miles is a .282 career hitter with a .322 on-base percentage.

Taveras, who missed several games with various injuries, became more expendable once prospect Drew Stubbs reached the Majors in August. Taveras can only play center field and would have been of limited use from the bench.

Rosales, 26, batted .213 with four homers and 19 RBIs in 87 games during his rookie season. Known for his enthusiasm and hustle, he just spent the weekend with manager Dusty Baker as part of a Reds Winter Caravan tour.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? I hated Taveras, but really liked Rosales.
This sounds like the stupidest move of the offseason. They should have just cut Taveras loose and let Stubbs take over. I hate to see Rosales go. He has the hustle and dedication to one day be a great player (although we have too many soon-to-bes right now). What position is Miles going to play? Infield positions are filled. Rolen, Cabrera, Phillips, and Votto.
We traded a great prospect for trash?

Insert quote here.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #498
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
This sounds like the stupidest move of the offseason. They should have just cut Taveras loose and let Stubbs take over. I hate to see Rosales go. He has the hustle and dedication to one day be a great player (although we have too many soon-to-bes right now). What position is Miles going to play? Infield positions are filled. Rolen, Cabrera, Phillips, and Votto.
We traded a great prospect for trash?
Scratching my head on that one too Andy.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #499
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

I get it now. This is a payroll dump which helps pay for Cabrera.

Quote:
Olney reports the Reds will save $1.3 million on the deal, which will help offset some of the money they just committed in signing shortstop Orlando Cabrera.
Miles will be used like Janish, a late inning substitute for Cabrera and Rolen. Another utility player. Don't we have enough of these guys?

Insert quote here.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #500
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Scratching my head on that one too Andy.
Does any move that the Reds do ever make sense?