Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Nostalgia - just a fading memory?

In a recent thread, I wanted to get my hands on some new cigars. In a way, I guess the word new is even relative. Let's just say that the company didn't appear till 2005, and for a guy who has been indulging in cigars since 1980, that's new. I now have a few Kristoff to try, and I passed on some of my favorites.

But, that got me thinking, especially as I thought about posts which I have been reading on CA. I see a lot that I consider "new" (they weren't available when I started smoking cigars and they weren't even available before 2000), brand names like: Pepin, Tatuaje, Illusione, Padilla, Oliva, Kristoff, and some others - some related and others not. Also, I see some new lines from some old stand-bys talked about.

Interestingly, I don't see much discussion of some of the long-standing, venerable lines. I find that interesting, as some of those brands used to dominate discussions of cigar smokers. Were they really that good? Are the new cigars that much better? Are the old brands good as nostalgia, better as a fading memory and not as a contemporary smoke?

Anyway, I am kind of curious about some of the older brands that I haven't noticed much talked about - are they still smoked? Do they still hold the following they did?

Is there something about the contemporary cigar smoker that is always looking for that "nouveau" taste? "Be the first on your block to try the new cigar by Henry Herpolsheimer, the latest sensation to hit the cigar world. He started out as a clerk at Stinky Smokes cigar shop in upstate Alaska, selling premium hand-rolled cigars to caribou and musk ox. He's teamed up with Oliva, Pepin, Carlito and Guido to produce his own line of smokes under the brand name Frozen Tundra - the coolest new smokes since ...." Are the new lines that much better - even the new lines that have appeared in the old brand names?

OK, so that's a little over the top. I like my Tats and Pepins. I am hoping to like Kristoffs as well. Oliva Vs are about my favorites. I enjoy trying new things...

BUT...
There are still some Dominican LGCs sitting in my humidor, am I the only one? Punch Rotschilds still taste like they did before the boom started, and they're great - or is it just nostalgia? Obviously, AFs still sell quite a bit, but is it mainly the newer stuff (SGs, Anejos), or are all the lines still enjoyable? From Avos to Zinos, and all the stalwart brands inbetween many are still available.

So, how many of you venerable, old, smokers remember those sticks? More to the point, how many of you have some and still enjoy them?

Dare I ask it, how many of those who are new to cigars - in the last 5 years - have tried some of the old stand-bys, the stallwarts of the cigar industry? How many of you have them in your humidors as go-to cigars?

Or, have they been relegated to the history books and the trips down memory lane, stories that we share with the newbies as we sit and smoke our Cabaiguans and sip our small batch bourbons?

So, as I trip down memory lane today, putting a few things on the Christmas tree, that's where I went.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 12-14-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: it needed grammatical considerations.
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nostalgia - just a fading memory?

Guess I fit in your parameters... Even though BudPrince got me smoking some premiums in about '94 or so, I didn't get into cigars REALLY until August 2006.

I still smoke Punch, Partagas, and most all of the Fuentes. I'm still a fan of Montecristo Whites as well.

I agree with your premise, though... tons of great cigars that are not the "new kid on the block" but are still quality smokes.

My recommendation? Try 'em all!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
pmwz is on a distinguished road

i am not an old timer but i try all kinds of cigars. i really like joya de nicaragua and they are around for a long time.
pmwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I've actually been moving away from Tat, Pepin, Illusione, etc. lately and buying more from the "old school" guys. It seems that a lot of the newer companies in the game have decided to forgo smoothness altogether and just put out the strongest cigar they can manage.

I think some of the more established manufacturers get a reputation for being boring or not as complex as the new stuff that is coming out but I have not found this to be true. I had a Chateau Fuente pyramid this weekend that was awesome!! Last weekend I had a Honduran ERdM that tasted fantastic. AVO XO is one of my new favorites too. All 3 have tons of flavor and plenty of complexity to keep me interested. I smoke about 50/50 Cubans/NCs and the cigars I mentioned may not be as good as their Cuban counterparts, but they certainly hold up to the newer cigars I've tried lately.

Personally I don't understand the obsession with puros either. I could care less if the wrapper/binder/filler all come from the same country.

and no, I'm not really an old timer either. I've only been smoking since the late 90's but I just seem to be enjoying the old fashioned brands lately.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

I've been smoking for...maybe two years? And the cigars that got me really hooked were RyJ (NC) churchills and Fuente Hemingways. My first sizable purchase I made for myself was 10 Fuente Cuban Belicosos. So I guess you could say it was old school style classics that got me onto the scene, and I still like that stuff.

Actually I smoked the last of those Cuban beli's the other night, it was good.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

As a new guy, I have smoked a few of the "old school" brand sizes, Punch Rothchilde, LGC. Unfortunately non of these have really "wowed" me like my generation of cigars.

It could be the variety of change in marketing, blend style, or even the type of tobacco utilized. Maybe I need to try some more of those older brands. I know I dont enjoy Montecristos, LGCs... my punch selection could be more varied, so could my AF selection. I'll look into picking some up when I can.

Thanks for the food for thought, Todd!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

My take on the "old" line of cigars is pretty much most of what is put out by Altadis and General. If that presumption is correct, then I am a fan of many, many cigars of theirs.
Punch
Monte White
Partagas
Henry Clay
RyJ
just to name a few.

Not a big fuente (gran reserva/regular line) man anymore, though.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

Times and tastes change... And people always want the new next big thing...
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Great thread, and great food for thought! I'm new to serious cigar smoking, and I fall precisely into the trap you've mentioned.

After having a long think about why this is the case, I think I have it. I like to read others' views of a stick before I try it. I like to see if the flavor profile matches something I might enjoy. The problem with this is that there's just not that many reviews of the old stuff coming down the pike. My hypothesis on why this is the case; "Why review them? Everyone's tried them."

So in an effort to broaden my horizons, I'd like to invite the old war dogs to write some reviews of their favorite stand-bys. Give us some food for thought.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
Great thread, and great food for thought! I'm new to serious cigar smoking, and I fall precisely into the trap you've mentioned.

After having a long think about why this is the case, I think I have it. I like to read others' views of a stick before I try it. I like to see if the flavor profile matches something I might enjoy. The problem with this is that there's just not that many reviews of the old stuff coming down the pike. My hypothesis on why this is the case; "Why review them? Everyone's tried them."

So in an effort to broaden my horizons, I'd like to invite the old war dogs to write some reviews of their favorite stand-bys. Give us some food for thought.

That's a great idea!
Also, I'm not sure if it would be taking the thread in a different direction than it wanted, but what are the "old blends"? I've only been smoking for 2 1/2 years so im a complete noob at all of this.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
but what are the "old blends"? I've only been smoking for 2 1/2 years so im a complete noob at all of this.
The following would give you a good idea and start MJ:

Padron
H. Upmann
Partagas
Hoyo de Monterrey
El Rey del Mundo
Punch
Macanudo
Romeo Y Julieta

Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

As far as older brands that have stood the test of time, I still keep a pretty good assortment of Fuentes on hand. DCs, Hemingways, Sungrowns, and even the lowly green bands can all be found in my "NC" humidor. What you won't find are Opus, Anejos, and all the newer high dollar specialty stuff they've come out with. Most of that stuff does little for me. Too easy to find things I enjoy more for a lot less money.

Although I don't smoke a great deal of Dominican tobacco any more, when the mood hits I still reach for a Fuente. I've been smoking Fuentes for at least the last twenty years. I guess old habits are hard to break.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post

Padron
H. Upmann
Partagas
Hoyo de Monterrey
El Rey del Mundo
Punch
Macanudo
Romeo Y Julieta
Add to that...

La Gloria Cubana
Excalibur (a HdM line)
Ashton
Avo
Zino
Davidoff
Perdomo (relatively speaking, mid 1990s)
Canaria D'Oro
Joya de Nicaragua
La Aurora
Don Diego
Don Tomas
Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post

I think the problem is that I know there are a gazillion reviews out there of them... All someone needs to do is read them. I don't PUFF anymore, but their review site is a great wealth of information - yeah, I know, I should be flogged for suggesting that anybody go there, but...

Oh yeah, another great blend - El Rey del Mundo. My favorite maduros are still the ERdM Robusto, Robusto Larga, & Robusto Supremo. The presentation is exquisite with the tissue wrap around the stick. They are sweet and spicy, with flavors of cocoa and nuts. There is a hint of spice and citrus. What I like is the complexity and the evolution of this cigar as you smoke it - changing as it goes.

I will have to smoke one of the LGC maduro Torpedos I picked up the other - and do a review to post. Maybe some of the others senior smokers can do the same with some of the venerable smokes we keep on hand.

I must say, I was very disappointed when I had my last Punch double maduro Rothschild from 1997 or so. They were so very good, but... I know there are a few guys here that were gifted a few in trades/bomb/etc... when I first got on the boards. But that is a fine example of a great old smoke.

Who remembers Canaria d'Oro rotschild?

I remember the maduro wrapper and the fact that they shoved 50 in a box and the squeezed them in there so that they had to force the box shut. They weren't box-pressed, but they might have odd shapes. I remember these were a sweet smoke, not real complex, but just a solid smoke with hints of leather and some pepper.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:

Padron
H. Upmann
Partagas
Hoyo de Monterrey
El Rey del Mundo
Punch
Macanudo
Romeo Y Julieta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Add to that...

La Gloria Cubana
Excalibur (a HdM line)
Ashton
Avo
Zino
Davidoff
Perdomo (relatively speaking, mid 1990s)
Canaria D'Oro
Joya de Nicaragua
La Aurora
Don Diego
Don Tomas
Well considering Padron is my favorite NC brand, I guess Im off to a good start!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Spanish and presented in the glass tubes?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #17
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:

I never had the Rotheschild, but my second handmade smokes ever was a CdO Petit Corona or cigarilo or something. From wha I remember it wasnt particularly bad.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Spanish and presented in the glass tubes?

Don't remember them that way.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #19
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I love a good Henry Clay. Most fuentes and padrons are a constant in my humi. The one thing I have found for my taste is that these "older" brands never change on you. Its only been 10 years of smoking for me so I dont bring a huge history to the table.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #20
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Don't remember them that way.
Your right. I kept thinking Spain for some reason and now had to look the suckers up:

"
Often overlooked by consumers, the Canaria D'oro Immensos sits on most tobacconists' shelves aging. Although owned by General Cigars this brand get very little promotion, and because of its name many consumers mistakenly believe this cigar is made in the Canary Islands rather than the Dominican Republic. Possessing a colorado colored Mexican wrapper this well made cigar is attractive and well made. The wrapper is full of oils and feels silky to the touch. The smoke is cool and pleasing with a slightly sweet honey taste highlighting the core flavors of its Dominican and Mexican blend. This cigar is not a powerhouse, but rather a creamy smoke that is very relaxing. The one word sums up this cigar more than any other is "smooth.""

made in: Santiago, Dominican Republic
size : 5 1/2 x 49
wrapper: Mexico
filler : Dominican Republic, Mexico
binder : Mexico