Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about
Default Tatuaje: Red vs Black Tubo

Recently Mariogolbee was kind enough to let go of a few HTF's I was looking for, and to make an even 5'er included a red and black Tatuaje Tubo with the other cigars. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a box of each, but I wanted to smoke each first to see if it was something I wanted to put my money towards. Well, this morning I researched them, and what fun research I would've put this under reviews, but it's not so much a review as a question...but I digress, pictures!

I smoked the red first, and while it was an overall nice cigar, the flavors were lacking. It was just kind of...bland? In comparison I enjoyed the Havana VI and P-Series line more, which are significantly cheaper smokes.

Of course though, here comes the black. What an amazing smoke. Flavorful, great construction, phenomenal wrapper, and well worth the higher price in my opinion.

Here's my question...I've heard everybody rave about the red tubos, and a lot of people say the blacks are so hit and miss. Did I get an opposite experience from the norm, getting a bad red and a good black? After smoking these back to back, I've all but written off wanting to buy any reds and would much rather get one or two boxes of the blacks.

Opinions/thoughts/comments appreciated!
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tatuaje: Red vs Black Tubo

As a Tat whore myself i love em both. I have yet to smoke a bad black or red tubo. I cannot compare the black tubo to any of the other blacks cause the tubo is the only black i've had but loved it! I got a box of Red Tubo's and the one i've had was amazing. Very flavorful and was like the Havana VI but more punch to it.. more full bodied i guess. Both very flavorful and if you can find the right prices on em snag em up while you can!
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Black tubos...IMHO way better than the Red tubos.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I'm in the Red Tubo camp, but who knows maybe the few Black Tubos I did have needed more down time. Cool ash tray by the way.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about

Black CG > Black Robusto > Black Toro > Black Tubo

~brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Prefer The Black, But I Like Both!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Red. Not a fan of any of the Blacks.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Wow, opinions all over the place. Thanks for all the input guys

Also, thanks! Got the ashtray off Famous Smoke Shop's site
Old 08-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough

Got a box of reds when they first came out. i find these very boring and disappointing.I have only smoked two,but both were very bland. i find the reg Havana VI line much better smoke. pulled all remaining red tubos out of the tubes and they have been resting for 6mos. I'm still not ready to try another one. Will give them some more time. I have a black tubo that was gifted to me,but haven't torched one yet.
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Love the black tubos, haven't tried the red ones. Burning my 2nd black tubo tomorrow probably, unless something else calls my name. I'd love to try a red one, my local B&M says they won't be getting the reds but will have me a box of blacks within a few weeks.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
tx_tuff

I like the Black better the the Red, friend of mine I smoke with likes the Red better. This is nothing new we all have different taste. But I will say the Blacks get better with some age, I bought the box when it first came out and the last one I smoked was much better then the first.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I'll be brutally honest here. I've yet to try the Red, I've got some just haven't gotten around to it. I've also got some Blacks, of which I've tried one. Remember this is just my opinion! But to me it was terrible, I'd compare it to the ammonia in cat piss. But like always, to each their own
Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
I like the Black better the the Red, friend of mine I smoke with likes the Red better. This is nothing new we all have different taste. But I will say the Blacks get better with some age, I bought the box when it first came out and the last one I smoked was much better then the first.
For those in the know...aren't these Black Tubos all from a single run and out of production? If so, would it be incorrect to say that the ones that are still available have some age on them? I bought a box over the weekend, so I'm curious how long I'll really need to let them rest before I should start smoking them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
I'll be brutally honest here. I've yet to try the Red, I've got some just haven't gotten around to it. I've also got some Blacks, of which I've tried one. Remember this is just my opinion! But to me it was terrible, I'd compare it to the ammonia in cat piss. But like always, to each their own
See, that's what made me hesitent about the Black Tubos from the beginning. It literally seems like you either get an amazing one or an awful one. That's kind of how I felt about the Red, but the Black was definitely awesome.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Here are my two cents then:

I like both, but from first impression, the Red Tubos were better than the Black Tubos when they first came out. That is my opinion. I had one of the reds recently and it is still pretty good, but I haven't had another Black Tubo in a while. I was resting them, but I guess I should break down and grab a Black Tubo soon to check how it is developing. Again, this is just my opinion.

As for availability: Pete originally had the B&Ms buy one for one when he released them last year. Most B&M stocked up in equal amounts. When I saw Pete last, he said the Black Tubos were a limited run and wasn't sure about the Reds. Recently, I saw that several local B&Ms have gotten a influx of Red Tubos because that was all they had left at the warehouse.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

One more quick question...

I know there's the age old question "store in tube or not to store in tube" but do I remember correctly that people pretty universally agree to take these out to store them? I know to at least check them because I know they suffered from cracked wrappers.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Just take the cap off or loosen it and they'll be plenty fine.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
xlc12rf
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jay
Trading: (3)
xlc12rf is on a distinguished road

Reviving an older thread, but I'm having trouble finding the tubos. Anyone have luck?
xlc12rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #18
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

New Havana Cigars has them in stock.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

MI'M getting 5 more blacks next week still waiting on my box though
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Red>Black. In a tube or not.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote