Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough
Default Dry boxing

Exactly how is this done? How long? Would a small plastic Tupperware work?
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dry boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
Erick...tupperware might hold the moisture in...if you have a stick that's a wee bit too moist with little draw just leave it out of the humi for a few days, or throw it in a humi that doesn't have any humidifier device in it...
Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Tupperware would really only work if you add a desiccant pack. If you go that route, sporting goods & gun stores, along with camera stores should have some good desiccant packs that have moisture indicators and can be put in the oven to dry back out when the indicator shows "moist" (usually it's just a color chaniging window on the aluminum case).

Otherwise, just any old empty cigar box will do. Open the box, take the cello of of the cigar, toss the cigar in, close the lid, wait a few days.

Or do what I do - I just leave the cigar lying on the counter. Box, meh, It'll be fine, we don't need no stinkin' boxes.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Last 4-5 orders from the Island have come ridiculously wet. I need to dry box a couple boxes at a time. I guess I could try just leaving them out.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I have a magnetic pen holder on the side of my refrigerator like this one

http://images.containerstore.com/ima...9708/19708.jpg

On Thursday night I take out everything I plan to smoke for the weekend and leave it in my little "cigar caddy" overnight. simple as that, nothing complicated about it. I have found that doing this improves the burn on the wrappers, prevents tunneling, etc. also, it has a tendency to "sharpen up" the flavors a little.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Last 4-5 orders from the Island have come ridiculously wet. I need to dry box a couple boxes at a time. I guess I could try just leaving them out.
Erick, I have experienced the same thing. It has been really bad lately. but "dry boxing" is only for cigars you are planning to smoke in the near future. What I have been doing for super wet boxes is to take all the cigars out!!! Check for mold on the bottom rows, especially with dress boxes. wipe off any mold and put the cigars in a humidor or tupperdor. They will acclimate on their own. For the boxes, leave them out of the humidor with the lids open for a week or so before putting the smokes back in. I would NOT recommend leaving the cigars themselves out of the humi unless you plan to smoke them all within 48-72 hours.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

I am having a HUGE problem with mold lately on ALL tubos coming in. Finally I got a good order through though that was just super wet. No mold.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Just use a lower priced desktop humi or two. They usually don't seal too well anyway and will give you the needed spanish cedar but without any humidity added they will slowly bring the moisture level down. I use one and it works very well that way.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

If I have cigars I'm planning to smoke that I think may be a little too humidified, I just lay them on top of a humidor for a day or two before smoking them.

It's dry boxing without the box.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I've had bad experiences with tubos and mold...moreso than a db or slb. I've been staying away from them for that reason...sucks as there are a few that I have wanted to grab.

As for the advice above, I concur...inspect and only dry box the ones you plan to smoke in the near future.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

South Florida is a little different than most locations. Sometimes the humidity outside the humidor is higher than inside.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Just use a lower priced desktop humi or two. They usually don't seal too well anyway and will give you the needed spanish cedar but without any humidity added they will slowly bring the moisture level down. I use one and it works very well that way.
This is exactly what I do and has worked well for a lot of years.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
South Florida is a little different than most locations. Sometimes the humidity outside the humidor is higher than inside.
Our humidity is sitting at 14% today.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Problem is lately I've been finding the older stock of my favorite stuff is AT!! Guess it's a risk I'll take!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
throw it in a humi that doesn't have any humidifier device in it...
That's what I do.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

We're all science-students with ongoing humidity projects! We live in the desert (Southern Nevada) and keeping humidity UP in the humidor(s) is our challenge.

As for Dry Boxing:
The same principals apply. . . GO SLOWLY! I suggest leaving the cellophane on the cigar(s) you're trying to lower the humidity (aka moisture content). Cellophane is porous and will allow humidity (moisture) in and/or out. If you remove the cellophane, you run the risk of drying the outer leaves at a different rate. When removing moisture, you could find the outer leaves (especially the wrapper) dry and the bunch (core/filler) still moist. This is what often causes the cigar to swell and the wrapper to crack and split! Be very careful to go slowly so the entire cigar & filler have the same humidity. This is VERY IMPORTANT!

If you're doing a whole box, leave the cellophane on and the lid closed. The process for an entire box can take weeks for proper changes in moisture content. While you are checking the box, I suggest you remove the cigars and "rotate" them (top to bottom. . . middle to outside. . . etc.)

Many of us use a "Dry Box" that is rigged to hold (for example) 65% RH and store the "Ready-to-Smoke" cigars in that box. Typically a separate humidor. There are humidification beads and packs (on the market now) that are designed to hold different RH levels. Drying a single cigar or a full box can be done in a cedar cigar box just as well.

Best advice is to check your cigars frequently and continue to experiment with different methods. Beware of shortcuts! Slow and steady wins the race!

Just my experience and ideas for your consideration. . .

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #17
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
We're all science-students with ongoing humidity projects! We live in the desert (Southern Nevada) and keeping humidity UP in the humidor(s) is our challenge.

As for Dry Boxing:
The same principals apply. . . GO SLOWLY! I suggest leaving the cellophane on the cigar(s) you're trying to lower the humidity (aka moisture content). Cellophane is porous and will allow humidity (moisture) in and/or out. If you remove the cellophane, you run the risk of drying the outer leaves at a different rate. When removing moisture, you could find the outer leaves (especially the wrapper) dry and the bunch (core/filler) still moist. This is what often causes the cigar to swell and the wrapper to crack and split! Be very careful to go slowly so the entire cigar & filler have the same humidity. This is VERY IMPORTANT!

If you're doing a whole box, leave the cellophane on and the lid closed. The process for an entire box can take weeks for proper changes in moisture content. While you are checking the box, I suggest you remove the cigars and "rotate" them (top to bottom. . . middle to outside. . . etc.)

Many of us use a "Dry Box" that is rigged to hold (for example) 65% RH and store the "Ready-to-Smoke" cigars in that box. Typically a separate humidor. There are humidification beads and packs (on the market now) that are designed to hold different RH levels. Drying a single cigar or a full box can be done in a cedar cigar box just as well.

Best advice is to check your cigars frequently and continue to experiment with different methods. Beware of shortcuts! Slow and steady wins the race!

Just my experience and ideas for your consideration. . .
I'd be willing to bet his cigars do not have cellophane.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #18
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Stinky, great info and no cello! Are tubos porous?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
LOL... that is exactly what I was thinking. If we left our sticks out, for much of the year, the would be dripping!!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #20
JohnE1000
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (39)
JohnE1000 is on a distinguished road

Tupperware will keep the moister inside. Use an empty cigar box. 2-3 days usually sufficient, unless your cigars are overly humidified.
JohnE1000 is offline   Reply With Quote