Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #41
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Mother kills intruder with shot gun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
We are a very gun friendly state. Still, it could be a huge headache that probably isn't worth the hassle for me if I could reasonably get away.

This is especially true if the perp is not even inside my home. Why should I take a risk of shooting at them when I could get away. Why put my neighbors at risk? Ive never had to shoot at someone under pressure. Might be that i could avoid civil litigation, but I most certainly face both criminal AND civil litigation if i somehow shot any if rhe children who live next door on either side of my home and across the street. This is just my own personal opinion on what I would do. I respect thy others may feel differently and have varying degrees of the amount of risk they are willing to take. But there IS some risk involved whenever the choice is made to shoot a gun in a populated area. Its up to the individual to decide if it is really worth it.
My closest neighbor is a half mile away through woods. No worries here. I shoot clays off my deck in the summer time.

Though I do see your point.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #42
ChicagoWhiteSox

With OK laws, she's fine as far as her legal right to shoot the guy. I think she would be fine in any other state as well.. The guys were trying for 20 plus mins. to break in, and one had a 9inch blade. That's enough for me to shoot any bastard breaking through my door. Kinda like shooting fish in a barrel if you ask me I think a couple rounds from a G20 would stop 'em
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #43
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We are a very gun friendly state. Still, it could be a huge headache that probably isn't worth the hassle for me if I could reasonably get away.

This is especially true if the perp is not even inside my home. Why should I take a risk of shooting at them when I could get away. Why put my neighbors at risk? Ive never had to shoot at someone under pressure. Might be that i could avoid civil litigation, but I most certainly face both criminal AND civil litigation if i somehow shot any if rhe children who live next door on either side of my home and across the street. This is just my own personal opinion on what I would do. I respect thy others may feel differently and have varying degrees of the amount of risk they are willing to take. But there IS some risk involved whenever the choice is made to shoot a gun in a populated area. Its up to the individual to decide if it is really worth it.
I totally understand your opinion on this. If I may play devil's advocate here, though, say you escape, make it to a neighbor's house, and call 911. The scumbag breaks in, finds no one is home, and goes to the next house where Mr. and Mrs. Smith and the 3 little Smithettes are sleeping. He breaks in, and manages to kill all 5 Smiths before the police get there. I know there would be remorse for the family, but would you think, "If I had shot his sorry carcass when he was on my property, the Smiths would still be alive"?

Texas castle doctrine includes the house and property, and any other real property under your control.

As for the lawsuit, check with your insurance company. see if they can add self-defense coverage to your homeowner's policy. State Farm can. IIRC, it's something like $100,000 coverage in case you get sued. I'll have to go back and check.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #44
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Agreed that there is always risk in pulling the trigger in self defense. I suggest 12-guage shotguns for home defense, preferably with some sort of game load, not buck shot, for this reason. Still potent enough to handle any perp in your house with limited range/travel, limited wall penetration, less need to aim (easier to point shoot), and less expensive than handguns. It doesn't eliminate risk, but mitigates it.

I can't see just shooting some one on a whim; but I wouldn't hesitate if it were a life and death situation that I felt I could influence for the better. Michigan allows CPL holders to use deadly force to protect others as well.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...6_173197_7.pdf

Quote:
Self Defense Act 2006 Form the state of Michigan:

MCL 600.2922b, MCL 600.2922c, &
MCL 777.21c
The Self-Defense Act
Effective October 1, 2006
Public Acts 309 – 314 of 2006 comprise the “Self-Defense Act.” The Act affects criminal and civil liability for those who use force to defend themselves or others. Prior to this Act, the law of self-defense was gleaned primarily from the common law (judge-made law).
General Provisions of the Act
A person may use deadly force with no duty to retreat if (PA 309):
1. They are not engaged in a crime
2. They are in a place they have a legal right to be
3. They honestly and reasonably believe deadly force is necessary
4. The deadly force is used to prevent imminent death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault of the person or another
Honestly if I can save someone's life, mine or another innocent victim's, by shooting a perp, I will. I won't be wondering if I added liability insurance on my last policy. To simplify, better judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #45
tx_tuff

Well good for her for doing what she had too, in Texas she could have saved a 20 min phone call and shot him through the door! Hopefully it will have no long term effects on her.

I noticed the picture of her husband being from the 70s also, but hey to each their own.

Coop a shotgun is the best home defense, may be more messing but is much safer then a handgun. Makes even more sense if you have other family members in the house. A handgun is harder to aim and less accurate then a long gun. Plus you miss with a handgun round and it is going through walls and hitting stuff you can't see.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #46
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

First Name: Scott
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
Coop is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert on breaking into a house, but I have locked my keys in the house and had to break in. Took me about 5 mins to do so with popping the lock open. Now wouldn't it be like 2 seconds to break into a house through a window if you weren't trying to not damage your home???

20 mins to get in sounds like a very long time
Old 01-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #47
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

SCdlH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
Well good for her for doing what she had too, in Texas she could have saved a 20 min phone call and shot him through the door! Hopefully it will have no long term effects on her.

I noticed the picture of her husband being from the 70s also, but hey to each their own.

Coop a shotgun is the best home defense, may be more messing but is much safer then a handgun. Makes even more sense if you have other family members in the house. A handgun is harder to aim and less accurate then a long gun. Plus you miss with a handgun round and it is going through walls and hitting stuff you can't see.
Want to buy me a shot gun for my birthday????
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #48
tx_tuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Want to buy me a shot gun for my birthday????
I think you may know the best place to get one at a good price, and it's not from me
Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #49
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

SCdlH

Quote:
I think you may know the best place to get one at a good price, and it's not from me
From a Squad car at Dunkin Donuts????
Old 01-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #50
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
No matter, I am relatively sure the guy she shot was a sh!tbag either way.
Of course he was or why would he be trying to kick down the door?

If this was MA, she would be in jail. You're not allowed to protect yourself or family in the Commonwealth.

Good for her!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #51
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I love Ohio. We have the Castle Doctrine. The scumbags family can't sue you if you shoot them.
TN too!

IMHO It makes sense. They broke into your house, they should pay the consequences. They understand the risk.

As far as what guns are best for home defense, hell I couldn't tell you. That's why I have a shotgun, 1911 and AR-15. I'll decide should the situation arise.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #52
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
While I completely support the right to defend one's home from intrusion by any means necessary, it seems to me there is more to this specific story than meets the eye.

Call me skeptical....or suspicious...but I am not taking this girl's story at face value.
Again, I want to reiterate that I completely support the right to defend one's home from intrusion by any means necessary...I am no liberal when it comes to this topic.

I just don't believe the girl's story at face value. As I said, I've been a cop for 25 years, and am pretty good at reading people in these situations, and something just ain't right with this picture.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #53
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
From a Squad car at Dunkin Donuts????
Hysterical.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #54
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

SCdlH

Quote:

I just don't believe the girl's story at face value. As I said, I've been a cop for 25 years, and am pretty good at reading people in these situations, and something just ain't right with this picture.
After watching it again, I agree that something will come out more about this story. Seems too staged with the 20 minute phone call... Also, who in their right mind would attempt a B&E with a German shepard barking??? I've never owned a German Shepard, but my last dog (Golden Ret) would bark if he heard anyone walking up the driveway let alone trying to knock the door down!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #55
TheCigarNut
Just in from the Storm

First Name: David
Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheCigarNut is on a distinguished road

I am from St. Louis city and to start off - I think people defending their property is not only understandable but a responsibility. Coming from an area where break-ins and murders are fairly frequent I will be the first to say that thinking a criminal will stick their tail between their legs and bolt when hearing a shotgun rack is mislead. Some of the rural areas, maybe even into the suburbs - sure, I can see that scenerio but I personally had someone break into my house on the south side of the city - racked the shotgun and the guy cussed at me and squeezed off 5 rounds through the wall. A professional/desperate criminal has already A) delt with it or B) doesn't care.

In respect to the young lady - do I think it was staged? Absolutley not. Could there be more to the story? I'd put money on it.

From what I have gathered - husband died recently, young man attempts to break into girls residence and was identified as someone who was stalking her. She contacts 911 requesting assistance and essentially 'permission to use dealdy force' if he enters the residence. Man and accomplice attempt to enter ( I think 20 minutes is an exageration unless the 'breaking in' was excessive knocking which turned to shoulder checking, picking the lock, etc ) and 1st to enter is shot upon entering.

I find it interesting more so than 'there is some excessive foul play at hand' - none the less - Hopefully the full 'truth' comes out and I hope those in commonwealth areas are able to defend themselves properly without the fear of prosecution.

Hornchen
Semper Fi
TheCigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #56
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:

I would rather use a semiauto pistol myself, I just like the idea of having better maneuverability, and I'm fairly good at shooting pistols, more so than shotguns for some reason(I don't shoot much of my shotgun, only when duck hunting). I understand why the majority of people choose shotguns for home defense though.

Last edited by ChicagoWhiteSox; 01-05-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #57
Dr Voss

One thing to remember about handguns for defense is that if you miss that bullet is going to go through a fair number of walls before it stops. It could be multiple rooms in your home or your neighbors. Just saying choose your weapons and target carefully, the worst thing would be to miss the bad guy and kill a bystander. IMO shotgun with lead shot or AR-15 with hollow tips are the safest, devastating on a soft target but will rarely penetrate a sheet rock wall. Second choice is a handgun. Best choice, whatever it takes to make the bad guy dead and you alive. Whatever the choice you gotta practice. In the moment you can't be figuring out how to use whatever you have, there are too many other choices that need made in that instant.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #58
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

SCdlH

Hollow tips in a handgun works for me!!!!

Also if I miss my mark, I may miss by a couple inches. Still going to hit the guy in the lung, neck, maybe shoulder if I went to bed drunk off of jack....
Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #59
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Voss View Post
One thing to remember about handguns for defense is that if you miss that bullet is going to go through a fair number of walls before it stops. It could be multiple rooms in your home or your neighbors. Just saying choose your weapons and target carefully, the worst thing would be to miss the bad guy and kill a bystander. IMO shotgun with lead shot or AR-15 with hollow tips are the safest, devastating on a soft target but will rarely penetrate a sheet rock wall. Second choice is a handgun. Best choice, whatever it takes to make the bad guy dead and you alive. Whatever the choice you gotta practice. In the moment you can't be figuring out how to use whatever you have, there are too many other choices that need made in that instant.

Practice a lot. The more the better.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #60
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

20 minutes is an eternity in a situation like that.