Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation
Default My Gaggia took a dive

.... or so my wife told me.

We're living in two different cities at the moment while I relocate employment and she called me today to tell me that she somehow broke my Gaggia Evolution Espresso machine. DRAT!

She said all it does now is spray water and coffee grinds out the side of the double shot filter basket. Ahhhh this sucks. I can't really diagnose it over the phone so I'll have to take a look at it the next time I'm down in Phoenix but just wanted to vent.

I love that little machine. It is just the right amount of machine for my 2-4 shots per day espresso habit. Don't want to have to buy a new one so hopefully the problem is fixable when I finally do get down there to look at it. Anybody else had to repair their machines?
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation
Default Re: My Gaggia took a dive

I'd be surprised it it was something serious. Could she have assembled something wrong? Forgot to install a gasket? On the little Krups that I have, there is a multitude of ways of making coffee spray out the side, none are serious.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Brother, I am truly sorry for that. If you want me to repay you from our end of that trade to make it right, let me know. If you have any questions when you get home, call www.wholelattelove.com since that is where I bought it and they seem to know their stuff. PM me if there is anything I can do.
Oh hey bro, I appreciate it man but TOTALLY not what this is about. A very gentlemanly offer but I was just venting more than anything as I absolutely love that little machine. I've DEFINITELY used it quite a lot in the last year or two since getting it. Thank you my brother but I'm all square

Yeah I'm hoping its something small Sean. Like I said its hard for me to know what's up with it until I can get down there and examine it myself, I'm just hoping its something fixable. It also wouldn't surprise me if I've just worn the little guy out too though LOL
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

hopefully it will be fixable and I know what you mean when something breaks and you just get a description over the phone just ain't like being there. It will drive me nuts until I can solve the issue.
Good luck with the fix
Old 04-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Dustin, just noticed this post.

For the grinds to shoot out of the side of the portafilter tells me that there is nothing wrong with the machine per se, but perhaps there is a problem with the portafilter. There is something preventing the water from flowing down through the filter.

I mean no disrespect to your wife, but does she know what shes doing with the machine? Perhaps she left the "blind" filter in the portafilter... this would cause the water and grinds to shoot out the side.

The only other thing I can think of is that the gaskets are worn to the point of being brittle.

The gaskets are very easy to change and are basically big rubber washers. They become brittle over time because of the constant heat and coffee eroding the rubber.

An easy way to tell if the gaskets need changing is to notice if there is any resistance when you insert the portafilter into the group head. There should be slight resistance, and you should not be able to turn the portafilter all the way to the right.

If you would like, pm me and ill give my number and I can talk either of you through what to check for over the phone.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote