Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about
Default Could use some help.

So from what I have seen from the brothers and sisters here is not only compassion but that we all come from a diverse opinion and knowledge. I have been in works for years setting myself in the wonderful world of self speech helping others through my words, either from experiences to presentations to education. Have had many dreams in sleep of nationally speaking from small crowds to large and one day began developing a website. Well from starting back in early February I have finally decided to reach out for help to take myself past this roadblock of designing and reach out and get some opinions say it. My feelings will not get crushed. I work well with others.
Tell me what you think. Most of it is still in design but figured its time for help. I am by far an English major or great typer, my words and knowledge is through my mouth.
http://coreydittel.com/
Old 06-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Could use some help.

I like the design, but I'll tell you that the paragraphs in the "about" and "home page" section need re-writing.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I like the design, but I'll tell you that the paragraphs in the "about me" and "homepage" section need re-writing.
Agreed.

And get rid of the third person form. Very impersonal and distant. It should be written in the first person.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I like the design, but I'll tell you that the paragraphs in the "about" and "home page" section need re-writing.
As in punctuation? Or rewrite in general?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
And get rid of the third person form. Very impersonal and distant. It should be written in the first person.
On Home or about?

I thank You both for feedback. Selling yourself about yourself is one of the hardest things to do. Its easier to people that know me and have seen my work or have heard me speak, or just know what I've been through and am about.But to open it up on a professional level without the schooling besides life as my backbone it makes it a difficult journey that makes it to where all I can do ask ask the lord and people for help, therefore making me swallow my humility and be humble as I grow. Which is the hardest thing for me to do. Its like I can give but is hard to receive sometimes.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
As in punctuation? Or rewrite in general?
Both.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:

On Home or about?
Both.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I think it's an awesome thing Corey. I agree with MJ and Peter that you need to go 1st person.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I think it's an awesome thing Corey. I agree with MJ and Peter that you need to go 1st person.

Yep
Old 06-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I like the idea Corey, that you want to share your struggles to help other through theirs - a laudable goal

As for what you have written on your "home" page and "about" page your punctuation and writing need some work. Getting rid of the 3rd person approach is just the beginning. When you write on a forum such as this, you can get away with just writing and posting. A couple punctuation mistakes or mistypings are not a problem.

If you want to get speaking engagements, you need to sell yourself on your website. OK, you are someone who not only has a story to tell, but you must entice them into thinking that you also tell it in an engaging way.

Your website is your sales pitch, what does it say about you? It isn't just if your story is interesting, but it is your putting together phrases and your use of grammar, that will be selling points. If you want to be a speaker, you also need to be able to communicate clearly in written form, and most people cannot just write, shooting from the hip - but they think they can speak, shooting from the hip.

Here's a thought. Make your changes, then go through and read it as if you know nothing about who you are or what you are trying to do or say.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I like the idea Corey, that you want to share your struggles to help other through theirs - a laudable goal

As for what you have written on your "home" page and "about" page your punctuation and writing need some work. Getting rid of the 3rd person approach is just the beginning. When you write on a forum such as this, you can get away with just writing and posting. A couple punctuation mistakes or mistypings are not a problem.

If you want to get speaking engagements, you need to sell yourself on your website. OK, you are someone who not only has a story to tell, but you must entice them into thinking that you also tell it in an engaging way.

Your website is your sales pitch, what does it say about you? It isn't just if your story is interesting, but it is your putting together phrases and your use of grammar, that will be selling points. If you want to be a speaker, you also need to be able to communicate clearly in written form, and most people cannot just write, shooting from the hip - but they think they can speak, shooting from the hip.

Here's a thought. Make your changes, then go through and read it as if you know nothing about who you are or what you are trying to do or say.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Excellent advice.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vision to travel and talk to youth ... Giving them opportunity to explore themselves
You might want to SPECIFICALLY rewrite this passage in your "about" section. I understand what you are trying to say but it comes across as a bit creepy.

Quote:
What makes Corey different from other speaks? Answer is simple, he's Corey.
I think you need to set yourself apart more than just saying that you are a different person. Your arguments following that statement could use some bolstering.

Also... count me in for changing to 1st person and there are a lot of spelling and grammatical errors that need to be fixed.

Good luck!

Randy
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

LGC

Thank You for your feedback Todd and Randy, I appreciate it.
Hehehe you said creepy.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I am by far an English major or great typer, my words and knowledge is through my mouth.
http://coreydittel.com/
The one thing I see, in your posts here and on your website is the "unusual" syntax of sentences. Is English your native language?

If not, maybe the best thing is to convey your thoughts to someone to put into a more traditional english language format.

And yea, get rid of the 3rd person format.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Are you going to provide examples of things you have overcome and tips for the first time viewer they can use?