Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Last Day of the Auction

Have you guys been bidding in the Troop Support Auction? I see a lot of FOG-type people bidding,
but not a lot of new names in there. Do you guys who are not bidding not know the wicked stuff you
can get over there? Some of that stuff is impossible to get, at least with your crappy connections, lol.
Tonight is going to be the end of the auction and I do not see anywhere near the level of participation
we had in our Winter Auction. Some of you have never smoked the really hard to get stuff, and with a
little research, you might discover the one thing you have wanted most since you started smoking is
sitting there dying on the vine. I would encourage everyone who enjoys the lifestyle of the Asylum to
check out the three pages of lots up for bids, to bid now and to bid knowing every dollar will be going
to the GIANT troop support effort of Cigar Asylum, known theater-wide for it's generousity and clutch
delivery of the sweet leaf to those who can REALLY use it. A LOT of lots are sitting there with pretty
low bids for what I KNOW is there. Some you have to read between the lines on, but it's all good.

Well, except for MY crappy lots.

-----------------------

HINT---It helps to know what a particular inmate prefers to smoke.

Last edited by OLS; 05-30-2012 at 09:55 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Last Day of the Auction

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50489

Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

No such access yet. Sounds like fun though.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Really? I would think everyone would have access to that thread. hmm.

Darren, did I break Rule No.1??

If that's the rule I broke, what I MEANT to say is
"hey look, it's the troop support auction...Ain't it awesome!"
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping there's lots of sniping tonight.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, no, the newbs have to make it through the standard newbatron gauntlet to have access, Brad. It makes good sense, same as with all the other areas that come into view.
Safety first, baby Goofy!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Really? I would think everyone would have access to that thread. hmm.

If that's the rule I broke, what I MEANT to say is
"hey look, it's the troop support auction...Ain't it awesome!"
Hi Brad, yeah, 1 and 6.

I would LOVE to be able to bid on something, ANYTHING, but I just don't have the money, for which I feel rotten enough.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Hi Brad, yeah, 1 and 6.
Not a problem with ME, Brad. I know you're both a SEC and New Orleans Saints fan, and thus know how you feel about rules.

And much like Darren, I'd love to pitch in, but my landlord wants his rent, my creditors want me to pay down quintuple-digit medical bills, and I've even gotten into the bad habit of eating every now and then too. Those of you who support the troops, plus those troops themselves, will need have my good thoughts suffice.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

I can't believe my bid for the winedor has held up
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Yeah, no, the newbs have to make it through the standard newbatron gauntlet to have access, Brad. It makes good sense, same as with all the other areas that come into view.
Safety first, baby Goofy!!!
Yea, I had considered putting up some large newbie samplers, but then I realized there would be nobody to bid on them.

Brad, great post. I'd like to see more bidding going on. Hell, I'd like to bid on several of the lots, including yours, but I just don't have the cash (or credit) right now. The only lot I may end p bidding on is my own. I appreciate the bids placed thus far, but at the rate they are going for I feel like I should have just sent a donation to one of the troop coordinators in the first place.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I'd love to bid. But damn, those bids got high quick (at least the ones I wanted to bid on.) Not that I don't want to help out the troops. Just not in the cards for me right now.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
There's a WINADOR??? Oh SNAP, let me get over there. There's BROKE, and then there's BROKE with
a wineador.

JK, you should be fine. Unless someone reads this. I sure didn't mean to seem to be saying that persons
having some kind of tenure here should be bidding better, I just thought that our enthusiastic newbies would
be better represented. (breaking Rule 1 again) There is stuff in there I would have KILLED to have as a
newbie. But like Rule 1 states, no pressure from me, just that observation in general. When pots call
kettles black, you can always spot me hanging around. After reading these replies, it seems money is a
bigger issue than I thought. Maybe the inaugural auction forced broke people to bid out of patriotism and
a general ooh-rah spirit coupled with good old CA superiority, haha. Let's hope the economy improves for
all. If I wasn't saving hard for a house, I might be a little reckless. As it was, all I could do is provide a few
lots and shipping of same, which I will already do with a grumble, haha.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I have no doubt that really soon now, someone will put up a "Match my $5 Donation" thread in the auction. It is quite common for there to be a cash donation thread in such auctions and it is a way for people to give a little even when there are no items that they really want to buy.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
You will be happy to know that after looking through the various bids for names I did not recognize,
I was forced to call you "with rare exceptions" lol. Nice work getting in there. Although for some reason,
your username reminds me of someone that has been around a lot longer than 150 posts.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
OLS
Suck It

And Darren, there are people like you with long histories of sending out big boxes of cigars to troop support guys
who know full well they need not be worried about not bidding in an auction. Hell it's the reason I AM NOT bidding,
I don't feel bad in the least.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
And Darren, there are people like you with long histories of sending out big boxes of cigars to troop support guys
who know full well they need not be worried about not bidding in an auction. Hell it's the reason I AM NOT bidding,
I don't feel bad in the least.
Thanks Brad, but in the interest of clarity and truth, I've only supported the troops through my local B&M.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

I am with Scotty - I will probably be outbid on everything - I am sure some people will be sniping and I wont be able to...but hey, I can say I went all in.

The GOOD News (no I am not handing out pamphlets) is that any money I dont spend for our troops here will go to the Rochester Charity Herf we are doing on Saturday!

PS - you are all invited!!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

A few thoughts as to why it may be smaller than the first.

1. It's not the first. The first one was brand new and exciting.
2. There is another large auction one month from today many will be participating in. I know I have a certain amount to spend total and what I spend on this auction would come out of the one in a month. This wasn't a problem in the last one (for me). I've still bid a little and monitoring some, but more OK missing out on a lot with another coming up. For me it was easier to donate a lot than spend money this time around.
3. Some may miss the forum. May be stretching here, but it was always there and stagnant for months, I had trained my eye to ignore it during the off months.

Just a few random ramblings....
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

There should be a new item showing up in the auction that may be of interest to many here. Not a cigar.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
OLS
Suck It

I'll sure vouch for the fact that it's SLOW AS HELL round here lately.