Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #61
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
You should try a little nano tank. They're little tiny desktop environments and you can put a couple little fish in there, some live rock and some corals. They're inexpensive and a real bang for the buck. Easy to care for, too.
That way you could see if you like it before going crazy and spending millions. Plus you could just move your stock to a bigger tank.
I bet you'd love it.
Thanks for the info Mr. Shilala!!!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #62
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

This is Kerri's shrimp.
What you see is pretty much actual size. It's tentacles are huge. They stretch all the way across the tank. He usually lives upside down under one of the ledges, I always figure he must be confused from living his life upside-down.
He sheds every couple months, I always thought that was amazing.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #63
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Just a couple more before I give up...

Old 01-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #64
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

While I think that the tank Carlos has set up is just freaking awesome - I really like Shilia's tank in the natural habitat thing and if ever was to set one up, that's the route I'd try. Love that look!

I'm just totally impressed by them all.

Please, please keep the pictures coming!!!

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #65
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
While I think that the tank Carlos has set up is just freaking awesome - I really like Shilia's tank in the natural habitat thing and if ever was to set one up, that's the route I'd try. Love that look!

Ron
My goal is to dress it up just like the real thing, and make it work like the real thing. The pics don't do it justice cause you can't see all the holes and ledges and tunnels. It really does look like the real thing.
Once the coralline grows over everything it'll be perfect.
I can get some fans and stuff that truly does naturally occur down off the Keys, and get rid of some of the stuff that doesn't exist.
Then I'll get a whole shoal of little fish and voila.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #66
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

j/k
Old 01-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #67
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post

j/k
Never had one of those but did have a nurse one time.
My angels took its eyes out in an attempt to take it out before it took them out.

Last edited by Blueface; 01-10-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #68
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post

Ron
Ron,
Both are beautiful indeed.

All a matter of preference as to what you want to keep.
That is the beauty of the hobby that it allows so many variations.
If you want my angels, you can't have a reef. In a reef, one can never, ever keep the fish I have as most of them would enjoy it as a wonderful treat and would eat all the corals/sponges.
So we each have our shortcomings but it is that variation that makes it so neat.
My non reef world is about sustaining very rare fish that are known in the hobby as not lasting very long. I love that challenge.

I benefited from both worlds for quite some time. I had the fish only system with the massive, large fish, while my son had the 75 gallon reef only system, with all the corals and the fish that reefs can sustain.
He has since torn his down and left the house so I stayed with my fish only.

At times I am tempted to set up a second tank as a reef system in my living room (I keep my tank currently in my family room). I have ample space for them. I just don't think the divorce attorney is worth it. Wife will clean me out totally if I dare set up another.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #69
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Picked up a new addition today. A nice size Kole tang. One of the most peaceful from the zebramosa family. Her name is Debbie :-D

I also saw a Blue face angel at my LFS about 5" they wanted $230 for it.

Pictures after acclimation.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #70
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Picked up a new addition today. A nice size Kole tang. One of the most peaceful from the zebramosa family. Her name is Debbie :-D

I also saw a Blue face angel at my LFS about 5" they wanted $230 for it.

Pictures after acclimation.
Hehehehehehehe. Debbie.
You ain't right, brother.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #71
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Ron,
Both are beautiful indeed.

All a matter of preference as to what you want to keep.
That is the beauty of the hobby that it allows so many variations.
If you want my angels, you can't have a reef. In a reef, one can never, ever keep the fish I have as most of them would enjoy it as a wonderful treat and would eat all the corals/sponges.
So we each have our shortcomings but it is that variation that makes it so neat.
My non reef world is about sustaining very rare fish that are known in the hobby as not lasting very long. I love that challenge.

I benefited from both worlds for quite some time. I had the fish only system with the massive, large fish, while my son had the 75 gallon reef only system, with all the corals and the fish that reefs can sustain.
He has since torn his down and left the house so I stayed with my fish only.

At times I am tempted to set up a second tank as a reef system in my living room (I keep my tank currently in my family room). I have ample space for them. I just don't think the divorce attorney is worth it. Wife will clean me out totally if I dare set up another.
Carlos, have you ever seen one of those great big jellyfish exhibits that's just a six foot wide tube that goes from floor to ceiling with nothing in it but water and jellyfish?
I think that's you, my brother.

One day I'm going to build a tank and keep an octopus.
Wish me luck.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #72
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Lol My aunt got me a gift card so i named it after her :-)

Here is a fun bit of info for you to look though Scott. Octopus Info.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #73
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough

I am loving this thread! I got my first tank about a year ago and quickly upgraded to a 30 gallon with tropical fish. Eventually I would LOVE to have a reef tank, but the set up cost is a bit steep while I'm still in school.

I will have to enjoy vicariously through all your pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #74
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Carlos, have you ever seen one of those great big jellyfish exhibits that's just a six foot wide tube that goes from floor to ceiling with nothing in it but water and jellyfish?
I think that's you, my brother.

One day I'm going to build a tank and keep an octopus.
Wish me luck.
No way.
I could never stand that.
Would bore me to death.
I would probably want to jump in the tank like Steve O or something.
Wouldn't be prudent.

I need fun/activity.
That is why I love angels so much.
They are acrobats.
Constantly doing things other fish don't do.
They will go sideways, upside down, all over.
Very curious.
They let you pet them/scratch them.
If I can't have large angels, I just can't see having a tank.
I also love "Mr. Eel" that I have not pictured as he is always hiding in his rock.
He is my Zebra Moray that I have had for many years and hand feed him.
Once in a while, if I am eating doo doo as I feed him, I accidentally have him bite my finger and hang on. Feels like a vice grip. Fortunately, he doesn't have teeth that can hurt me. Just crushing power.
Now imagine me with those jelly fish again.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #75
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

You have a zebra moray too? I just got one her name is Leela and she is about 10"

Here is a short video of her. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ZwRQIPDyo
Old 01-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #76
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
No way.
I could never stand that.
Would bore me to death.
I would probably want to jump in the tank like Steve O or something.
Wouldn't be prudent.

I need fun/activity.
That is why I love angels so much.
They are acrobats.
Constantly doing things other fish don't do.
They will go sideways, upside down, all over.
Very curious.
They let you pet them/scratch them.
If I can't have large angels, I just can't see having a tank.
I also love "Mr. Eel" that I have not pictured as he is always hiding in his rock.
He is my Zebra Moray that I have had for many years and hand feed him.
Once in a while, if I am eating doo doo as I feed him, I accidentally have him bite my finger and hang on. Feels like a vice grip. Fortunately, he doesn't have teeth that can hurt me. Just crushing power.
Now imagine me with those jelly fish again.
It should be obvious that you're gonna have to post a pic.
I'd like to see some wide shots of your fish in action, too. That or a video would be cool.
I love it. That tank is gorgeous, brother.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #77
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Is anyone else having trouble seeing pics?
I can't see most of the pics hosted on photobucket. Sometimes some show up, sometimes none.
I had to lift the url for each one and copy and paste it in another browser window to view them.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #78
fissure
DHC Black Ops

First Name: Steve
Trading: (48)
Partagas
fissure has disabled reputation

Pics are showing up Scott. Beautiful tanks everyone. Love the angels Carlos!! I'll have to get off my lazy azz and get some of mine. Used to have a 120 with all sps and lost most of them to acro eating flatworms. Broke that whole tank down and now have just a 50 breeder with a sump in the basement. All lps and softies, but am yearning to go back to sps.
fissure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #79
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

I almost lost my head a few minutes ago.

I mentioned to the wife that I will gladly go ahead and get her the matching range, microwave and dishwasher to match the new stainless fridge.

After I said that and she smiled with joy over it, I suggested we put a reef tank in the living room thanks to this thread and a new boost of energy for more tanks again.

I am still trying to get her foot out of my butt and darn nearly lost my head with the other shoe that flew at me.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #80
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

If I can find them, will post some cool shots of the installations I have done for customers.
I have done some pretty cool plumbing for the entire system, all with PVC and Spaflex.
Lets see if I can capture Mr. Eel.
Next time I feed him and he goes nuts all over the tank.