Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default so I recieved a couple of pm's

from a few botl's asking me how I've been and if there is a reason why I don't post as much as I did in the recent past. And yes, there is a reason.

Lately my life is a rollercoaster of emotions, lots of negative emotions like stress and frustration, lots of positive emotions like becoming an uncle for the first time soon and a life changing decision and fear for the unknown due to that life changing decision. And dealing with all those emotions, the negative and the positive, is a huge energy drain for me, so when I come home I am too tired to interact on CA.

The negative source is mostly work, I work for a very small company and me and my boss are always fighting about everything. We make a decision, I follow his orders and 2 days later I get chit because he claims that we agreed on something else, he never listens to me what made my job much harder and impossible on some cases. For example: my assistent left in october last year, I told my boss that it would be impossible to service all calls with just a part-timer and a free lancer with a shifting schedule (he is a flight attendent and can only work on days that he is not flying), after 3 months some clients had to wait for over 2 weeks before I could service them even though we have a 48 hour limit in the contracts, I get yelled at by clients and by my boss, but my hands were tied and I warned my boss that this was happening. Another example, august 2008 the guy who did all the network stuff left the company, I told my boss that I don't know chit about networks and that he should hire someone that knows this stuff, especially as in our line of business things are shifting from a stand alone platform into a online platform (we're in background music for retail, hotels, bars etc). Now an important client, a shop chain, wants their music systems online and its quite a technical operation, way over my head, and I get blamed for not knowing this stuff, something I told my boss over a year ago. And there are more examples, things went so bad that after another disrespectful email that he send me I ran upstairs to his office, grabbed a piece of wood but fortunately another free lancer saw this and stopped me. And although I have a big mouth, I am not an agressive person by nature, this shows how bad the situation was.

Now my contract ends october 14, and I decided not to renew. I had some days left, so next thursday is my last day of work before I head into unemploymency, but unemploymency is better then jail and that is where I would probably end up if I had to work longer with this guy. The negative energy, the stress and frustration will be cut out of my life, and due to the great social security system we have in The Netherlands I will be able to leave.

The social security system also allows me to focus on the life changing decision and everything I have to do for that. I made the decision to go for a gastric bypass. I weight about 385lbs with a height of 5ft9, which makes my Body Mass Index about 56. In normal people language that means "you're gonna die fatty" as a friend called it. I am 37, still in good health (bloodwork from recent tests proved that, cholestorol and all are within limits and the doctor said that my body could take at least another 100lbs before it would start giving in) and I like to keep it that way. The surgeon wanted to push the surgery to the spring, but I convinced him to do it in 2009, as I would never get a job with this hanging over my head. He agreed on a late december surgery, but only if I will lose about 30lbs before that time. I get help from a nutrician with that, trying to break the old habbits and learn a new schedule and eat lighter, healthier and less (as that is my future after the surgery). I need to lose that weight to reduce the risks of the surgery (with a >50BMI the risk of serious complications, read: death, is one out of 200) and as the first couple of lbs lost are all from the liver that will create more space for the surgeon to work with.

I'm looking forward to the life after the surgery, i can't remember what it's like to be not fat, to have a weight below 220 lbs (we measure in kilo's here, 219lbs would mean <100 kilo, a 2 digit weight). Just the opportunities that it will offer, simple things like being able to buy clothes much easier, not to be stared at like you are a freak of nature, not being rejected for a job because of prejudice against heavy people, being able to fly to my friends in the US comfortably instead of feeling like spam, pressed in a can and to start running again. But it's also scary, all my adult life I have been fat, it's going to be a new life and like everything unknown there is both exitement and fear, fear for the unknown, and fear for the surgery ofcourse.

Well, now you all know, and you might understand why I haven't been on CA much. This thursday, september 17, is my last day of work, the negative energy will be gone, I will have more time (in between the long walks with the dog that I will be taking to get some extra exercise) to bug you all
Old 09-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: so I recieved a couple of pm's

Best of luck brother.

Much respect to you for DOING SOMETHING about your health and weight rather than just staying overweight and becoming even more overweight.

I work with a few people who are so big they have trouble walking.

Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Don,
My thoughts and prayers for you in your life for less stress, lost weight, heathy and safe surgury and a new life. If you ever need to talk I'm just a PM or chat away.

I know this surgury has worked wonders for some. I hope it works just as well if not better for you my friend.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Good luck Ferdie. You will be in my thoughts. Definately some major life changes and you have a good positive out look on them. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the update brother... I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 AM   #6
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

We're with you Ferdie. Positive thoughts sent your way to help you attain your goals.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Good luck Ferdie!! I know a couple of people who have had the surgery and it has worked out well for them!

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
DougBushBC

You are in our toughts Ferd!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #9
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Best of luck with everything Ferdie, I am pulling for you!
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Ferdie, I am so happy for you, lots of big changes but they are all for the better! I think we need a Loosing Weight with Ferdie thread... I am here for you along with all of CA if you need anything, please let us know!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Good luck, Ferdie. It's a tough row to hoe but the rewards are worth it. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Ferdinand,

You know you will be in my thoughts and prayers. If you need anything give me a hollar and I will see what I can do.
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #13
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I will be praying for you buddy, for a better job when you need it, the surgery to go well and have a quick recovery. Thanks for sharing, I know it was prolly hard to do.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #14
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Good luck Ferdie!!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
ChicagoWhiteSox

Ferdinand,

Prayers sent for a safe surgery and a wonderful, healthy, and happy new life.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

Hey Ferdinand:

I know we've spoken about this, and I'm anxious to hear of your progress, as I am considering the same thing. I wish you a future filled with health and happiness. I enjoyed meeting you in Orlando and I look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the US.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #17
azherfer
Proud Ranger Dad

First Name: David
Trading: (1)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
azherfer is on a distinguished road

Not to threadjack, but if anyone is considering Gastric Bypass and has any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me and ask. I had this done and while I've been successful, there are things that they don't tell you that you need to consider or be aware of in your decision.
azherfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

My prayers are with you, brother.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Good luck to you.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #20
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Stay strong, Ferd, sounds like you've made some great decisions recently--we're here for you!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote