Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #41
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 'Jackass' star Ryan Dunn dies in fiery Pa. crash

Yeah, this guy has partied for many years. I'm sure he could drink a lot and not really show he was totally wasted... no way I put any blame on the bartender(s). If someone is a belligerent drunk and still being served, then sure there can be some blame IMO.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #42
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
If I walk into a bar and decide to have 18 drinks, then get in my car and drive away, the bartender is at fault?
I'm with you man, the only person to blame is the adult deciding to drink, period. Bill, I don't want to argue either, not sure why you said that. But to me like icehog said, just because its the law, it doesn't make it right.

If you go out drinking do you rest your life solely on the bartender to be responsible? I would hope not.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #43
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Bill, you are a good guy and I don't want to argue either....but just because something is (civil) law doesn't make it "right".

If I walk into a bar and decide to have 18 drinks, then get in my car and drive away, the bartender is at fault? I am s cop, and I call bullshit on that law....and I always have. Obvious exception is if the drinker is underage, but besides that, the drinker should have grown the **** up.
I agree that normally the bartender should not be at fault, but there are cases where they could be. Video evidence in Dunn's case looks to be that the bartender would not be at fault anyway, so it's probably a nonissue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
I think the distillery or brewery are at fault. What about buying from a liquor store and doing this, the liquor store is at fault. Not the individual who consumed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
What about the farmer who grew the grain? Blame everyone.
Perry and Peter's examples here are much different than the bartender's. The liquor store nor the farmer sat there and watched a person get drunk. The bartender can monitor the patron's status when they come up and order each drink. If they are too drunk, cut them off.
Once again, I'm not saying it's right for the bartender to be sued
, but they do hold a little bit more of an obligation than the liquor store or the farmer. At least in the smaller, more personable bars. A bit harder for a bartender to be responsible at a club that has over 200 people in it.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #44
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

The really sad thing if it were true is he was less than an 1/8th mile from home but still doesn't excuse the fact that he drove drunk. When I go out, if I have two or more drinks I hand the keys over to someone even though two beers have zero effect on me. At the end of the day it's not worth getting pulled over and possibly blowing a high enough BAC. If I'm on the bike, I will not ride even if I had more than one drink. Call me crazy but that's just being an adult about it. I didn't always think like this but a few years in the fire service running Heavy Rescue kind of puts things into perspective for you.
As far as holding the bartender liable. If he was acting normal and didn't seem to be too wasted than there is no reason to cut someone off. Everyone handles alcohol different and I have been out with guys that clearly couldn't handle their liquor and have been cut off by the bar but keep in mind that they were either acting like complete fools or just plain sloppy. The bartender tends to have a bar full of customers so they can't keep track of how many drinks each person has consumed especially since most times guys buy each other rounds. This is why they have a drinking age because at that age your supposed to be adult enough to make grown up choices. I kind of lump this into the same boat as the fat bast@rds who sue McDonalds because they got fat eating their product too much. On top of it you add the celebrity factor to it especially a guy from Jackass and they seem to think they're invincible and have the "It will never happen to me attitude" because most times they are let off with a slap to the wrist whereas the average Joe would be crucified for it. Perfect example is recently Kyle Bush was pulled for doing 130mph in a 45. Funny how he was at the track a couple days later suited up to go to work where I would have been sitting in the can still. We as a society tend to put celebrities on a pedestal and than act surprised when they get away with outlandish crap or kill themselves or someone else in the process.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #45
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I agree that normally the bartender should not be at fault, but there are cases where they could be. Video evidence in Dunn's case looks to be that the bartender would not be at fault anyway, so it's probably a nonissue.

Perry and Peter's examples here are much different than the bartender's. The liquor store nor the farmer sat there and watched a person get drunk. The bartender can monitor the patron's status when they come up and order each drink. If they are too drunk, cut them off.
Once again, I'm not saying it's right for the bartender to be sued
, but they do hold a little bit more of an obligation than the liquor store or the farmer. At least in the smaller, more personable bars. A bit harder for a bartender to be responsible at a club that has over 200 people in it.
have you been to crowded bar? there is no way that a bar tender, unless he had his own private bartender, "sat there and saw him get drunk". Also, there is almost no chance that dunn went up and got each of his own drinks. i guess the valet is responsible also for letting him drive, Porsche is responsible for not putting in breathalyzers or letting the GT3RS go above 40, and the psp is responsible for not pulling him over sooner. The guy got dumb and he got dead. Darwin handed him an award...this is a huge loss for the world. Man, no one could take a shot to the nuts like that guy

Last edited by loki; 06-23-2011 at 10:12 AM.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #46
Kinky_yk
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Kinky_yk is on a distinguished road

It's not sad, at all. He was drinking and driving and killed himself, so what. Just because he's famous people say "oh what a waste, so sad". If your child happened to be crossing the street around the time he shreded his porsche would you still think it was a waste of a talented actor that unfortunaley the big bad bartender couldn't make his decisions for him. It is his responibility to not drive.
Kinky_yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #47
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

Also he was doing 132 mph, regraudless if he was drunk or not he was being even more of a (Jackass) driving his car that fast.

Learned somthing new to CKY- Camp Kill Yourself. Nice.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #48
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
have you been to crowded bar? there is no way that a bar tender, unless he had his own private bartender, "sat there and saw him get drunk". Also, there is almost no chance that dunn went up and got each of his own drinks. i guess the valet is responsible also for letting him drive, Porsche is responsible for not putting in breathalyzers or letting the GT3RS go above 40, and the psp is responsible for not pulling him over sooner. The guy got dumb and he got dead. Darwin handed him an award...this is a huge loss for the world. Man, no one could take a shot to the nuts like that guy
You didn't read my last sentence.

And once again, I'm not applying this to Dunn's case. Video evidence shows he didn't look that bad when he left the bar.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #49
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Peter's point about the farmer was a joke.

Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #50
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

But it could become truth the way our culture is headed. Like tobacco farmers.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #51
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Peter's point about the farmer was a joke.

Posted via Mobile Device
I Figured you were by the smilie, I was being facetious with my post :
Genetic Defect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #52
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear31MX View Post
Also he was doing 132 mph, regraudless if he was drunk or not he was being even more of a (Jackass) driving his car that fast.

Learned somthing new to CKY- Camp Kill Yourself. Nice.
I never knew what CKY meant either until I read the AP article reporting his death.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #53
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

One thing to consider is this-Ryan Dunn was a jackass. Was there any difference between a sober Ryan Dunn and an intoxicated Ryan Dunn? Probably not too much.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #54
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
I'm with you man, the only person to blame is the adult deciding to drink, period.
I disagree with that. The only person to blame is the adult deciding to drive a car while intoxicated. I don't blame anybody for going to a bar, drink alchol. It's what happens next I blame people for (or not, if they do the smart thing)
Old 06-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #55
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I disagree with that. The only person to blame is the adult deciding to drive a car while intoxicated. I don't blame anybody for going to a bar, drink alchol. It's what happens next I blame people for (or not, if they do the smart thing)
Yes, youre right I should have added the person 'drinking and driving'.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #56
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

I watched Dunn and Vito's Rock tour on Netflix last night. This doc really shows Dunn's lifestyle with alcohol. I knew you had to be slightly deranged to hang out with Bam Margera for so many years, but wow. I would be dead from alcohol poisoning from all the liquor he drank on this tour.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #57
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

I don't remember any tour
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #58
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
I don't remember any tour
Of course not, you were sloshed.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #59
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Of course not, you were sloshed.
Good times then, I guess
Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #60
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

The best times are the ones you don't remember.

Insert quote here.