Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
Pete
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pete
Trading: (0)
Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Cozumel

Have a trip scheduled to Cozumel in about a month. I am not a chicken, but the ever increasing news about street fights between the drug cartels and the police have me concerned a bit. Cancun from what I have read is not immune as well. Anybody have any definite news about the island? Anybody been ther recently? Thanks.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cozumel

I've been there 3 times and the latest was in 2007. I never experienced any street fights and such in Cozumel. If there are drug cartels in Cozumel I didn't notice any. IMO Cozumel is a very safe place to travel.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Pete
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
I've been there 3 times and the latest was in 2007. I never experienced any street fights and such in Cozumel. If there are drug cartels in Cozumel I didn't notice any. IMO Cozumel is a very safe place to travel.

I was there in '06. The security issues have changed a bit over the last several years, and more so in the last few months from what I'm seeing and reading on the news. Just wondering if Cozumel has been insulated against this wave of drug wars sweeping over Mexico.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (6)
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

Just had 2 employees return from there last week on vacation. Armed military everywhere, in town , away from the resort areas. They still rented scooters, and went sight seeing on thier own. Didn't have any problems, until one of thier friends wrecked the scooter , and broke off one of the mirrors. Mexican police got involved, and they had to pay the rental place $750 or were threatened with arrest. HMMMMM..... $750.00 or Mexican jail........they paid the $750.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

I just got back from Cancun last week and we didn't have any problems. We took a tour to Coba which is about 2 1/2 hours away from Cancun. We did see a lot of military on the sides of the roads when we were driving. Never once did I feel unsafe. We took public transportation to the downtown area of Cancun. Not sure if this helps but it is just my .
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Was there in May - Playa del Carmen and Cozumel...great time - always be alert and aware, even when not travelling. Was in Cozumel during the daytime - no issues. Playa and Cancun every night - same. Also PM Texan in Mexico - he lives there and can give you more info!

Have a great time!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Cozumel is a nice place. Armed military all around. Pretty safe as long as you stay in th emore tourisy & populated areas. Don't wander too far away from civilization.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
spooble
Palmetto State Herf Crew

First Name: Chad
Trading: (58)
ERdM
spooble will become famous soon enough

We stopped at Cozumel for a day and a half a couple weeks ago on our cruise. The downtown area seemed extremely safe (and clean). The police constantly patrolled the main drag, especially in the evening. The horse ranch on the southern end of the island seemed fine, and Paradise Beach was excellent. I think any of the tourist spots should be safe. The island is 100% supported by tourism... they know better than to bite the hand that feeds them.

By the way, there is a decent humidor at Havana Club in the Forum Shops on the north end of downtown. Their prices are high, but they have some hard to find items. Seems like the Edmundo Dantes were $32? They also had Cohiba Sublimes. I just couldn't bring myself to by any without knowing for sure that they were real. I'm certain every other stick on the island is fake. There are 2009 EL Cohiba Piramides everywhere. (yes, in glass top boxes)
spooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Pete
Still Watching My Back

Thank you very much.

Kind of sounds like going to a baseball game in Detroit.