Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default I Need Some Geek Help.

The pic is pretty clear, I think.
The two Almond wireless access points were line of sight. Weeze moved the one in the sunroom, so now it's pretty worthless.
I'd like to move that one to the tv stand in the living room, and I can place it line of sight to the table on the deck where Weeze works all summer.
I can also serve the friesstick and chromecast doucher in my tv at maximum gigawattage.

I just wonder if I can hardwire that (2nd) almond router from my Belkin switch (that used to be a router, I converted it to a switch).
I'd replace the one cat5 I stole from the single cat5 port on the Almond so I can re-hardwire my directv or bluray, whichever I ravage.

It looks straightforward to me. I guess I just want someone to rub some brains on it for me and save me actually googling for fear I may learn something. The shame.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Need Some Geek Help.

The reason I'm doing this is that I'm committing a gazillion movies and cd's to disk.
I'll figure out a decent server solution later. I looked at Plex, it'd do what I want.
But not really.
I may have to build a little htpc for the living room. I don't know. Like I said, I'll worry on that stuff later.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

It should work, as long as the Almond on the modem is not also the DHCP server, the modem should be. Everything on the private IP address space can be moved around. The routers and switches keep track of where to send the packets. If the Almond is bridging the modem it might be more of a hassle to move it, probably not the case. I have built similar messes for getting security cameras all networked in with everything.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Thanks, Roger.
The Almond on the modem is just an access point and the other almond is set up as a repeater.
Everything worked super solid until the woman moved all the furniture in the sunroom. Now I don't have anywhere to place that one line-of-sight.
This happened months ago. I've just recently gotten disgusted enough to figure out a way to fix it and cover all our bases.
Now I need to get one of the kids to do some crawling for me.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #5
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

You're burning discs? The 1990s called and want their technology back.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

You're not allowed to say stuff in here, Adam.
Your vcr is still flashing 12:00.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

It's right twice a day, even more when we change the clocks for daylight savings!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Here's what I hear when I read the initial post:

Blah, blah, blah, sunroom. Blah, blah, blah, Weeze.

Scott, get a job and quit watching so much tv!!! It'll turn your brain to mush!