Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #1321
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Photography Thread

more:

Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #1322
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

2 more. Tried to get some nice crowd shots to capture the mood:

Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #1323
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
CS5 fixed the heal tool and has an awesome predictive content filter.
Could be the retoucher in me but I think the heal tool leaves little to be desired even in CS5. I have played with it and it never seems to produce acceptable results. I played with an image one day and I was able to retouch powerlines out of a pretty busy image much faster and cleaner doing it the good old fashioned way with much better results. I found the heal tool made the corrections obvious where me using the clone tool was mostly undetectable. Like I said it could be the retoucher in me is too critical. I worked in a large commercial Photo Studio right out of college and had the pickiest of people approving my work so when I started I needed my work to be 100%. That was also long before the CS days before they created the heal tool.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #1324
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Your mileage may vary. My comment was directed at comparing CS4 to CS5. In CS4 when you were healing and crossed an area of high contrast it diddnt know what to do. Now in CS5 you can cross those high contrast areas and have a decent outcome.

Using a tool that takes seconds to complete what would otherwise take hours or days its a start nut as you have said leaves much to be desired.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #1325
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Could be the retoucher in me but I think the heal tool leaves little to be desired even in CS5. I have played with it and it never seems to produce acceptable results. I played with an image one day and I was able to retouch powerlines out of a pretty busy image much faster and cleaner doing it the good old fashioned way with much better results. I found the heal tool made the corrections obvious where me using the clone tool was mostly undetectable. Like I said it could be the retoucher in me is too critical. I worked in a large commercial Photo Studio right out of college and had the pickiest of people approving my work so when I started I needed my work to be 100%. That was also long before the CS days before they created the heal tool.
Quote:
Your mileage may vary. My comment was directed at comparing CS4 to CS5. In CS4 when you were healing and crossed an area of high contrast it diddnt know what to do. Now in CS5 you can cross those high contrast areas and have a decent outcome.

Using a tool that takes seconds to complete what would otherwise take hours or days its a start nut as you have said leaves much to be desired.

Prettymuch what BOTH of you said IMO

There's no way the new tool has half the magic fairy dust that folks were claiming, and I still usually go for the tried and true methods that I cut my teeth on.

HOWEVER, there are certain small fixes that I can do now without it automatically grabbing a terrible sample of a high contrast area nearby, which makes it a semi-usable tool for once. . So it sped up just a little some of my small retouching, saving me from having to go back and correct as much.

ALSO one of my steps for doing certain kinds of larger areas includes creating a second layer with a large area of cloned "fix", making no attempt to have the edges blend, and then blending it later with a layer mask. The new tool has proved to be very effective for this.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #1326
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

As of Christmas Day I will have my very own Canon 60D. What software do you guys recomend for a Beginner? I have shot with film. But never played with Digital pictures and software.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #1327
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonlady View Post
As of Christmas Day I will have my very own Canon 60D. What software do you guys recomend for a Beginner? I have shot with film. But never played with Digital pictures and software.
Got get gimp for any edition. It is free and nearly as good as photo shop. For viewing there are a lot of programs out there so I would suggest you start with infraviewer.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #1328
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Starting to itch for a new body....

Here are a few from the inter-squad game last night...

I am really digging this pic, disappointed that I clipped his skate...

Few others from the evening...

E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #1329
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Its been snowing out here in Valencia, CA today. Started about 2:00PM. Took this shot this evening with the Canon PowerShot SD1200IS digital ELPH, set in BW mode w/ISO 1600...
Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #1330
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

New camera for Christmas, Canon 60D. So much to learn.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #1331
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
pics or ban!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #1332
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
pics or ban!
you are not nice Mark.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #1333
coffeemonkey
Smoking my way to the Top

Trading: (0)
Partagas
coffeemonkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
nice camera. I shot one of these for over the weekend. It was a rental for a sports portrait shoot. I really like the focusing and overall feel of the camera. I love the flip out LCD. The quality of the picture on the LCD is really, really nice. For the price that is a sweet camera.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #1334
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

Navy (Served With Honor)

I am having a great time with it. I start my class next Wednesday. Then I may feel better about posting pictures.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #1335
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

camera phone during a quasi-blizzard

Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #1336
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Picked up a floor model Canon 50D from work for 499 It surely needed help. The sensor looked like a dalmatian but after an hour of rocket blower and ending in a dry swab Here is what Im left with. By the May I will be taking the 5dmkii jump and have the 50D as a backup.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #1337
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Got two weddings booked for late summer. Anyone have any tips? These will be my first two. Both family members so thats a little bit less pressure but any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #1338
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
camera phone during a quasi-blizzard

Nice looking Winter shot Bobby
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #1339
ambientboy
...from the internet

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
RA
ambientboy is on a distinguished road

I really need to be on here more often. How did I JUST find this thread?!
ambientboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #1340
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
Picked up a floor model Canon 50D from work for 499 It surely needed help. The sensor looked like a dalmatian but after an hour of rocket blower and ending in a dry swab Here is what Im left with. By the May I will be taking the 5dmkii jump and have the 50D as a backup.

Wow... nice job. Mind if I ask what your exposure and aperture were on both of those? I would guess the first one had to be a very long exposure at a very small aperture to show that much crud, unless it was really horrible.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote