Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road
Default I think something is wrong

Over the last few weeks or so I have been in a major funk. I just don't feel like smoking anymore. The day before I want to smoke I will get out a cigar to dry box and look forward to smoking but when the time comes to smoke it I just don't want to. And even when I am in the mood it doesn't taste too great, somewhat bitter I would say. And if it's a good smoke it is not how I remember it, like if it was a cigar I loved , now it it just okay or at best good. Has smoking cigarettes burned out my palate? Has anyone else gone through a funk like this? I really hope it pasts, because I still have a huge passion for cigars. TIA
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default Re: I think something is wrong

For me, my tastes go day by day. It would be hard for me to pick a stick today, that I'm going to have tomorrow. I usually have what I am in the mood for not necesssarily what I had previously chosen the day before. Tastes can change daily.
Try mixing it up a bit. Try something new that you have not had before.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Just a phase, imho. Cigarettes don't help, but I've had a couple times where I just wasnt in the mood. No worries. It'll pass.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

When I smoked cigarettes I couldn't stand Cigars...so I quit cigarettes. Now I love cigars.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

I tend to go through periods of time when I just smoke cigars vs. just smoking a pipe. Usually a couple months at a time, I'm just ready for a change. It also allows me to build up a collection of cigars in those months where I'm really into the pipe.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

No reason to push it Tom. I rarely plan a smoke, when I do I find I don't have time for it, rush it, and it wind up wishing I hadn't started. I think you will find you get your tastes back. Get yourself into a good situation with some friends and what not and you will enjoy the smoke.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I agree that it's just one of those things you go through from time to time. I would also suggest that maybe your palate is evolving. When it does, there are cigars that you have loved that you may not like that much anymore.

Just take a break for a few weeks until the urge hits you again.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Totally agree with everyone. I wouldn't push it. Why force a stick on yourself if you already don't feel like it. Smoking for me is a passion, it's an experience, it's an adventure everytime. I can't plan smokes ahead of time, I wish I could but I enjoy having a selection and choosing the right "tool for the job."

Give yourself a little bit. Keep reading about cigars and talking about them and before you know it, you'll be lighting up some of the finest sticks you've ever smoked. At least I hope so.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Nothing at all wrong with taking a break once in a while. Heck, nothing wrong with quitting completely if its not something you enjoy. Dont stress things, life is too short to do things you dont like.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Trouble

Had a cold for a while and cigars tasted terrible. Waited until I felt like having a cigar again and all is well. Give it some time....
Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Chinogobraap

if the funk only applies to cigars I wouldn't worry to much i didn't smoke much for 2 years and recently just got back into it. I got back into it after i got excited about finding a new smoking spot.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

Just came out of one of those myself. It was amazing how my favorites just tasted horrible. It passes.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #13
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like time for a smoking break. I'll go into a funk now and then, but give it a week or two and you'll fire one up and you'll think, "baby, I missed you" when you light up one of your old favorites. Sometimes a little time is all you need, and sometimes, well, maybe you're in a heat wave or there's a humidity spike, or for whatever reason, your smokes need a little break as well.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Hope it passes Tom, but if not, don't sweat it. We'll buy your sticks off of you!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #15
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Hope it passes Tom, but if not, don't sweat it. We'll buy your sticks off of you!
lmfao!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Just think of it as letting your sticks age.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

First Name: Bob
Trading: (0)
fhrblig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc3084 View Post
Over the last few weeks or so I have been in a major funk. I just don't feel like smoking anymore. The day before I want to smoke I will get out a cigar to dry box and look forward to smoking but when the time comes to smoke it I just don't want to. And even when I am in the mood it doesn't taste too great, somewhat bitter I would say. And if it's a good smoke it is not how I remember it, like if it was a cigar I loved , now it it just okay or at best good. Has smoking cigarettes burned out my palate? Has anyone else gone through a funk like this? I really hope it pasts, because I still have a huge passion for cigars. TIA
This happens to me from time to time. Sometimes I can go six to eight months between sticks. Sometimes I can barely make it 5 minutes to the next one. It comes and goes. I wouldn't worry about it.
fhrblig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #18
MarioF

I had a friend who used to smoke a lot who went through this. What I told him was what someone said above, which was your tastes changes. So he went out and tried some different smokes and now is back into it again. Also he would sorta plan on a smoke for a certain night and then get excited for it and then it would be a letdown. I told him to stop planning and just grab a cigar when he felt like it, that helped him a lot.
Just smoke when you feel like it, not everything has to be dryboxed or planned out.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
SigEpGF

I've gone through those funks... Take some time off. It's like the old cliche': "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #20
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

I actually stopped smoking cigars for a few years at one point and packed everthing away. When it became enjoyable as a hobby again, I brought everything back out and started over. It's even more fun now. When it starts being a chore instead of a reward, just take a step back for a while. Everything seems to run in cycles.

Good luck brother.