Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation
Angry Computer virus is frustrating

So I'm having the EXACT issue Tom had here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...=windows+virus

My computer though doesn't let me do a system restore. I tried bringing in AVG on a thumbdrive and installing it from there and it will not let it run.

I don't know what else to do. Does anyone know of any other ways to get rid of a virus? Will upgrading OS do it? I was thinking of going to 7 from XP.

BTW this is on my desktop and has not affected my home network luckily.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Computer virus is frustrating

Jay, I ended up having to buy a new hard drive not long after that. The System Restore turned out to be a very temporary fix. Had a computer tech come to my house and the computer wouldn't let him load any of the software...he said he had never seen anything like it. I was able to limp my computer along for internet only for a few more weeks, but then it just completely froze. I hope that they have come up with some kind of fix for you since then.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Here's a couple of things I would try.

First, get Malwarebytes in addition to AVG (best antispyware program I've found).

Next, reboot your computer and immediately after the initial boot screen (where it has the computer logo or counts your memory, different screens for different computers) start pressing F8. If you see the windows logo starting up you missed it, turn the computer off and try again. When you get it, you'll get a boot options menu. Choose windows safe mode with network support.

When windows boots all the way up, install AVG and Malwarebytes (at this point it should let you because whatever is stopping the programs from running shouldn't have started up in safe mode). Update both products (that's why you need the network support to connect to the internet) and then run full scans with each. After those are done you SHOULD be ok to reboot into windows regularly. Just for safe measure, I would run both full scans again once I booted up into windows regularly.

Let me know if that works or not. There are a few other things you can try.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post

First, get Malwarebytes in addition to AVG (best antispyware program I've found).

Next, reboot your computer and immediately after the initial boot screen (where it has the computer logo or counts your memory, different screens for different computers) start pressing F8. If you see the windows logo starting up you missed it, turn the computer off and try again. When you get it, you'll get a boot options menu. Choose windows safe mode with network support.

When windows boots all the way up, install AVG and Malwarebytes (at this point it should let you because whatever is stopping the programs from running shouldn't have started up in safe mode). Update both products (that's why you need the network support to connect to the internet) and then run full scans with each. After those are done you SHOULD be ok to reboot into windows regularly. Just for safe measure, I would run both full scans again once I booted up into windows regularly.

Malwarebytes should get you going again.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post

Don't forget about using rkill. That little program (rkill) can make all the difference in the world when it comes to effectiveness of mbam and other programs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

I also like to use a linux live cd (my favorite is puppy linux) to boot up your computer to at least be able to copy all of your files to an external drive so you don't lose everything.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
I also like to use a linux live cd (my favorite is puppy linux) to boot up your computer to at least be able to copy all of your files to an external drive so you don't lose everything.
Already done....that was the first thing I did last night.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

If the name of the virus/scam is Antispy-Soft, it's a widespread problem.

Do a search on your hard drive and see if you come up with any files named "tssd". If you do, you have the Antispy-Soft malware on your computer.

There is a manual way to delete it, but the various anti-virus programs probably won't touch it. Trust me, I know.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
D_A
Dave's not here

First Name: David
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
D_A is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
Already done....that was the first thing I did last night.
If you've gotten the files you want off and you already intended to upgrade at some point, i would just format the drive and do a fresh install of the new OS.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

Would that get rid of the virus or can it transfer over to the new OS?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Jay, IMHO this is a redirect trojan not a true virus. Very pesky, I used goored and combofix to finally get rid of this nasty bid of malware. You can use your laptop to download to a thumb drive and install from their.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Combofix and MalWareBytes usually take care of any issues...
Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
If you've gotten the files you want off and you already intended to upgrade at some point, i would just format the drive and do a fresh install of the new OS.

I hate to say this, but if you got one of the new TDL4 or TDSS rootkits, go ahead and reformat your hard drive. There are ways to check if you have this. Malewarebytes, bleepingcomputer and kaspersky all have great forums to help out with the problem.

The new version of the TDSS rootkits are unable to be removed or quarantined. No software company has come up with a solution yet. I had this problem a few weeks ago now and got the newest tdl4 version of the rootkit. After many days and hours of research I ran across some hacking websites. They were discussing these new rootkits and how they act. To sum it up, when the guys who get paid to hack can't figure out "how" the rootkit is even reacting, it's time to re-format.

Here's a great write up on the TDL3:

http://rootbiez.blogspot.com/2009/11...-lets-put.html

That was 2 revisions ago, and the latest ones are 10x worse. The secretly log and report any credit card numbers, bank account information, etc.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post

I hate to say this, but if you got one of the new TDL4 or TDSS rootkits, go ahead and reformat your hard drive. There are ways to check if you have this. Malewarebytes, bleepingcomputer and kaspersky all have great forums to help out with the problem.

The new version of the TDSS rootkits are unable to be removed or quarantined. No software company has come up with a solution yet. I had this problem a few weeks ago now and got the newest tdl4 version of the rootkit. After many days and hours of research I ran across some hacking websites. They were discussing these new rootkits and how they act. To sum it up, when the guys who get paid to hack can't figure out "how" the rootkit is even reacting, it's time to re-format.

Here's a great write up on the TDL3:

http://rootbiez.blogspot.com/2009/11...-lets-put.html

That was 2 revisions ago, and the latest ones are 10x worse. The secretly log and report any credit card numbers, bank account information, etc.
I didn't know there were new versions out. The one I dealt with a while back required some file deletions and registry edits, but I managed to disable it. Sounds like the bad guys are getting badder.

I was lucky in that the first time it tried to "call home", Zonealarm caught it and asked me for permission to let it out through the firewall. I didn't recognize the program, so I denied permission, then discovered how badly I was infected, and eventually got things cleaned up. I suspect I still have some of the code somewhere, but I killed the executable commands. Nasty bugger.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Last fall I picked up a virus called Security Tool...I tried virtually everything I could to rid myself of that pesky thing from manual removal to all kinds of software to no avail. It completely crippled me and no system restore or windows repair would take care of it. I couldn't even install XP new and boot on that hard drive, so I had to get a new hard drive to install and use my old hard drive as a slave. It was a nasty sumb!tch.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #16
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
Would that get rid of the virus or can it transfer over to the new OS?
Posted via Mobile Device
To answer your question - Yes it can and will on an upgrade. I have successfully cleaned these types of infections but it is very time consuming and frustrating.

The best bet is to simply get another hard drive to replace your current one. Use your old one as a slave and carefully extract the data that you need.

After you install your new OS make sure you install good anti-virus and malware programs. Use two different ones and make sure that one of them is Malwarebytes.

Good luck -

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #17
dyieldin
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
dyieldin is on a distinguished road

I have had issues like that and I have fixed other peoples computers with Norton 360. Boot on the CD and let it do its thing. Best investment you can make.
dyieldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
To answer your question - Yes it can and will on an upgrade. I have successfully cleaned these types of infections but it is very time consuming and frustrating.

The best bet is to simply get another hard drive to replace your current one. Use your old one as a slave and carefully extract the data that you need.

After you install your new OS make sure you install good anti-virus and malware programs. Use two different ones and make sure that one of them is Malwarebytes.

Good luck -

Ron
How effective would using a program like KillDisk be? It overwrites with all 1s, then all 0s. Should wipe out every single thing on the hard drive.
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote