Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project of the Day : Pimping Sofaman's Edgestar

Sofaman (Scott) wanted to do something with his Edgestar, so instead of just sitting out in the shed smoking, we decided to do a little wood butchering.
We got this thing done in two evening's time. It was so easy with two guys working at it. I'm not used to it. It takes me forever to get anything done.
We decided to start with a few nice drawers and then decided to make a couple short shelves just because we already had pieces made.

Here's a starter pic...

shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Project of the Day : Pimping Sofaman's Edgesta

Here's some more inside, a close-up...

Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
Trading: (21)
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

Sharp as heck Scott, keep up the good work !
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Sorry for the delay, Scotty called and we burned a Tampa Sweethearts 280.
Good cheap smoke right there.

Here's a shot of the inside of the drawer. We conservatively estimated that each drawer would hold 60 cigars. It goes 3 deep, so in all reality it should easily hold a lot more.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor152d View Post
Sharp as heck Scott, keep up the good work !
I just worked on your drawers while I was out there. Some of the cedar lifted up on the back edge and I had to glue it back down and clamp it.
I'm starting to wonder if you're not jinxed.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

This shot shows the underlying mechanics of the drawer setup.
The Edgestar has goofy slots that are deeper in the back than they are in the front.
In order to keep the drawers from falling down into that deep slot causing them to tip, we had to fill them in. We made birch ply slats. They worked great.
I also had to make specially sized bead bags that fit under the bottom drawer out of sight.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

When we were almost done, Scotty started whining about Spanish Cedar.
I couldn't bear the thought of lining the drawers, so we decided to replace the birch slats with spanish cedar slats. Plenty of stink, plus they're completely hidden from view (like the beads).
Hiding all the odd stuff really made a nice, clean, understated job.
We did everything keeping in mind that we might want to add more drawers later.
We kept the drawer on top long so that it went up past the top shelf, creating a "lip" of sorts to keep from piling boxes too close to the door.
The drawers are flush with the back of the slots so that there's complete circulation all around the cigars. Down the road we may want to do something to help make a nice circular airflow up the back, across the top, down the front, back across the bottom, etc., but it's wholly unnecessary right now.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

The top shelves were an afterthought as I mentioned earlier.
Scott doesn't have a whole lot of cigars, so we joked about using the top shelf and the two upper shelves to create an alter.
Maybe a couple candles, a chicken foot and a Jobu doll would work.

The shelves aren't as thick as they appear. They're the slats we made earlier but I use a thin piece of oak across the front to stiffen the shelves from sagging. It gave them a really nice appearance.
I think vino's look far nicer when they aren't jammed full to the gills, especially when they're dressed up with drawers. They look like a piece of furniture instead of a box full of cigars.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

The only reason for posting this shot is because it relly shows the color and grain.
I'm particularly proud of this little project because Scott and I did it together and pumped it out in record time.
Despite that, it turned out gorgeous.
He's super proud of it, too. That makes me happy.

Last edited by shilala; 11-18-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Here's a pic of the Edgestar closed up. It has tinted glass which I think takes away from the whole deal, but I have to admit that the subdued view of the interior makes for a pleasant surprise when you open it up.
The long fronted top drawer kinda looks goofy and we agonized over it for quite awhile. Ultimately we decided to go that way for the time being. With the shelves in the top it really draws your eye away from it. They weren't made yet when I took this pic, now I wish I had another shot.
Maybe Scotty will take some pics of the drawers and the filled up product next week after the stain has cured.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

That's it for now.

I have three projects to finish up in the coming weeks and then I have two projects to start that I've been dying to get to.
I take that back. I have to fix tonight's kitchen disaster, so that's four projects. hehe
The two projects in waiting are an oak skinned table top thermoelectric humidor and a travel humidor made from Brazilian Cherry.
The piece of cherry I got is incredibly gorgeous. It's really going to be something to behold. The desktop thermoelectrics are just for fun.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

I have to give a big thanks to Scott, This is something I have been wanting to do for a while. And I have to say it turned out better than anything I ever imagined. It makes Jobu very happy I cant wait for it to be done cureing so I can load it up More pictures of the final product to come
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
I have to give a big thanks to Scott, This is something I have been wanting to do for a while. And I have to say it turned out better than anything I ever imagined. It makes Jobu very happy I cant wait for it to be done cureing so I can load it up More pictures of the final product to come
We had fun, didn't we?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

Hell Yea
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
Hell Yea
The big question is "what the heck are we gonna build next?"
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
parafumar

Nice. Now, where do I get a Jobu doll...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
MithShrike

Right on guys!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #18
doblemaduro

Absolutely freaking incredible! I gotta make my own someday!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #19
webjunkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (1)
Punch
webjunkie is on a distinguished road

That looks incredible.
webjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #20
smokinj