Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default ***SPOILER THREAD*** Rogue One

I thought as people see this we could have a thread solely for the purpose of discussing the movie without someone accidentally wandering in and getting all bent because they read a bunch of spoilers.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: ***SPOILER THREAD*** Rogue One

Don't tell anyone, but I heard it occurred a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Ok, one thing from the movie that didn't make sense. The Imperial pilot defector was told by Saw Gerrera he'd lose his mind after undergoing the "questioning". Next time you see him in the cell next to Cassian, he's babbling. But as the movie progresses, he's getting more and more coherent.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

He said that it was one possible side effect but not that it would def happen, I forget the exact wording.

I wondered how the rebels went from being so kick ass in this movie, to so wimpy a couple months later. 14 of them to attack the data fortress and yet 20 or so of them needed Ewoks to open a bunker door?????
Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Darth Vader is Luke's Father.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Ok, I wasn't sure on that, with Saw.

I did like the grittiness of the movie. Seeing Cassian off the other rebel at the beginning, Galen being killed by a rebel bomb.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
AdamJoshua

It really brought more realism to fight scenes, anyone could die at any time.

I also loved that they did such a good job showing the sheer magnitude of things, I remember reading that was something they wanted to do this time around, the rebels running from the walker when you could actually see someone standing next to a footpad, cruiser over the city, the death star on the horizon, all very cool, and they keep the hair styles and cheesy 70s mustaches!

Loved all the little references to the other movies including the blatantly obvious guy she bumped into, same guy that had Obi cut his arm off, for the same thing
Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
AdamJoshua

Also ... Finally got to see Darth Vader kick some ass, that to me was a great scene and added emotion and urgency to everything as the alliance member was screaming for them to take the disc as Darth cut a swath through all the security crew and again finally got to see Darth actually kick ass and show you why everyone was afraid of him.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
It really brought more realism to fight scenes, anyone could die at any time.

I also loved that they did such a good job showing the sheer magnitude of things, I remember reading that was something they wanted to do this time around, the rebels running from the walker when you could actually see someone standing next to a footpad, cruiser over the city, the death star on the horizon, all very cool, and they keep the hair styles and cheesy 70s mustaches!

Loved all the little references to the other movies including the blatantly obvious guy she bumped into, same guy that had Obi cut his arm off, for the same thing
Quote:
Also ... Finally got to see Darth Vader kick some ass, that to me was a great scene and added emotion and urgency to everything as the alliance member was screaming for them to take the disc as Darth cut a swath through all the security crew and again finally got to see Darth actually kick ass and show you why everyone was afraid of him.
Couldn't agree more on both points. To see Vader in his prime was awesome. The way he just cut a swath through those guys at the end. Damn.

One thing for me I really liked was how they tied the little things into matching A New Hope. Like the control panels in the Death Star. They looked circa 1977. Great continuity.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Couldn't agree more on both points. To see Vader in his prime was awesome. The way he just cut a swath through those guys at the end. Damn.

One thing for me I really liked was how they tied the little things into matching A New Hope. Like the control panels in the Death Star. They looked circa 1977. Great continuity.
and the last guy, the guy that handed off the disc, how you see the light saber just get stuck through the door and realize he stuck it through that guy then the door, things like that, but again how did Darth get so wimpy in literally an hour
Old 12-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
AdamJoshua

Kevin Smith's review, he called out a lot of the same stuff that I caught, and made some good points. I do agree with him the last 2 minutes of the movie, with Vader being an incredible bad ass made the entire experience. It's a super long review, if you watch it it's worth grabbing a cigar and starting about 20 minutes into the vid.

https://youtu.be/uLljgEUPmRQ
Old 12-19-2016, 07:38 AM   #12
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Man this movie was so good, could it have been the best SW to date? Maybe, I have to see it again before I make that call.

Ok, some things that people touched on, like Bob I too thought that was a weird scene about the pilot losing his mind, and it seemed like he was kind of out of it, then the next scene he's ok.

Who knew that you could crash into a Star Destroyer, and keept thrusting to have them run into one another? Awesome!

GRAND MOFF F'ing TARKIN!!!!!! C'mon!!!!! That was amazing they brought his evil ass back to life! & Leia looked hot again.....so badass

The last 5mins of the scene was so on the edge of your seat, and cause some hyperventilating WOW! Darth was such a badass.

It was like watching a Quentin Tarantino ending......everyone dies!

So much action!

Another thing Bob hit on, the set designs looked like they hadn't been touched since 1977.

This was a movie for the fans. Glad I seen it on opening night. Planning on seeing it again the day after Christmas, and this time on Imax 3D.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #13
AdamJoshua

The CGI Moff was surprisingly good, and it wasn't like they just did a face and had him in the background, he was in quite a bit of the movie.

I agree probably the last 10 minutes or so from the DS firing on their complex to the end was adrenaline time, even though you know how it ends it didn't matter, oh I forgot about the guy that Darth threw up against the ceiling with the force and then cut him in half with his saber as he walked past, that was badass, I could probably watch that hallway scene 50 or so times.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #14
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The CGI Moff was surprisingly good, and it wasn't like they just did a face and had him in the background, he was in quite a bit of the movie.

I agree probably the last 10 minutes or so from the DS firing on their complex to the end was adrenaline time, even though you know how it ends it didn't matter, oh I forgot about the guy that Darth threw up against the ceiling with the force and then cut him in half with his saber as he walked past, that was badass, I could probably watch that hallway scene 50 or so times.

Peter Cushing had more screen time in 2016 than he did in 1977 heh

That scene man, It showed just how badass Darth Vader is/was
Old 12-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #15
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

I actually enjoyed this more than force awakens and I really enjoyed the force awakens. I loved that the director showed the scale of everything as well as the movie looking like an actual lived in world as opposed to the prequels which always looked sterile and dirt free. It was a bold choice having no jedi and no heavy star wars themes playing. It really showed the hopeless world of the empire and how oppressive it looked. Not a kids movie either and quite violent but I liked that as well. The third act was just breathtaking in scope and of course as has already been said, Darth Vader's last scene was amazing. Was it perfect? nope but it really was a lot better than I was expecting it to be.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #16
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for this thread. I have no desire to see the movie but just know enough to spoil it for those who really want to go but haven't been yet.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:04 AM   #17
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
I actually enjoyed this more than force awakens and I really enjoyed the force awakens. I loved that the director showed the scale of everything as well as the movie looking like an actual lived in world as opposed to the prequels which always looked sterile and dirt free. It was a bold choice having no jedi and no heavy star wars themes playing. It really showed the hopeless world of the empire and how oppressive it looked. Not a kids movie either and quite violent but I liked that as well. The third act was just breathtaking in scope and of course as has already been said, Darth Vader's last scene was amazing. Was it perfect? nope but it really was a lot better than I was expecting it to be.

Well if you think about it this was right after Order 66 was given, or close enough to where almost all of the Jedi were killed off., hence the abandoned temple on Jedah.