Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #41
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #42
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
Blasphemy. The only cool thing about the prequels is Darth Maul. That is it.
I must be the only Star Wars fan in the world who thinks that Darth Maul sucked. Yes, he looked badass, but I didn't see anything else that appealed to me. I'd take Count Dooku over Maul any day of the week. For Christ's sake, Dooku was the second best Dracula EVER. Not to mention his arch-nemesis was Governor Tarkin (Van Helsing).

Hammer film veterans FTW?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #43
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWoT...layer_embedded

Never really cared, but Han DID shoot first in the original.
Si Senior.

I have the first three movies (by release order, so IV, V and VI) in their original CLV Dolby Digital Surround Laser Disc form - these are the _exact_ same as what we saw in the theaters the first time around. By the time the 5.1 AC-3 CAV box set version came out, Lucas had already started tweaking them.

Some of the additional footage he added was nice. Useless, but nice. Except for that Greedo shoots first part.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #44
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

Alderaan shot first

Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #45
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Si Senior.

I have the first three movies (by release order, so IV, V and VI) in their original CLV Dolby Digital Surround Laser Disc form - these are the _exact_ same as what we saw in the theaters the first time around. By the time the 5.1 AC-3 CAV box set version came out, Lucas had already started tweaking them.

Some of the additional footage he added was nice. Useless, but nice. Except for that Greedo shoots first part.
I agree with you almost 100%, but I assume the laserdisc has Episode IV: A New Hope in the crawl screen. It wasn't in the original release in 1977. But I'm arguing semantics here. I know what you're saying.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #46
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I agree with you almost 100%, but I assume the laserdisc has Episode IV: A New Hope in the crawl screen. It wasn't in the original release in 1977. But I'm arguing semantics here. I know what you're saying.

You just out geeked me, Andy. I'm going to have to check, let me get back to you on that.

IIRC, Star Wars was pressed to LD before Empire was released to the theaters, so I'm not sure there would be any changes, including the crawl screens.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #47
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I loved Revenge of the Jedi.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #48
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Top Ten Movie Trilogies

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/top-1...lideshow-2684/

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #49
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbailey View Post
I loved Revenge of the Jedi.
I liked Blue Harvest better.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #50
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Quote:
You just out geeked me, Andy. I'm going to have to check, let me get back to you on that.

IIRC, Star Wars was pressed to LD before Empire was released to the theaters, so I'm not sure there would be any changes, including the crawl screens.
A little research earlier today and I just learned more about Star Wars releases than I ever wanted, or cared, to know....

So it appears that my LD has the episode title, since it's the widescreen version from the mid 80's and not the original pan & scan. Other than that, it's supposedly the same as the original theatrical release.

Seems like there were also about 20 something different release versions of Star Wars on LD (I had no idea, I thought it was like 5 or 6 total between NTSC and PAL), not counting the CAV remastered trilogy box set which, for LDs, marked the first installment of any additional footage.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #51
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Here's pictures from our herf trip to Obiwan Ranch a couple years ago. The largest "private" collection of Star Wars memorabilia.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...rs%20Petaluma/

Here's our own Skywalker:
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #52
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
A little research earlier today and I just learned more about Star Wars releases than I ever wanted, or cared, to know....

So it appears that my LD has the episode title, since it's the widescreen version from the mid 80's and not the original pan & scan. Other than that, it's supposedly the same as the original theatrical release.

Seems like there were also about 20 something different release versions of Star Wars on LD (I had no idea, I thought it was like 5 or 6 total between NTSC and PAL), not counting the CAV remastered trilogy box set which, for LDs, marked the first installment of any additional footage.
I'm not advocating the changes Lucas has made since 1997 to his original films (I don't like the new changes at all), but that's proof that he's been making adjustments since the first film was released. No one seemed to care about the adjustments until he started using CGI.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #53
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I'm not advocating the changes Lucas has made since 1997 to his original films (I don't like the new changes at all), but that's proof that he's been making adjustments since the first film was released. No one seemed to care about the adjustments until he started using CGI.

Aside from the adding of the episode number, I don't think anything else was changed. "Release Versions" defined the pressing run, not necessarily a change in the movie (LDs are kind of weird in some of their nomenclature). Exempting the first release version, I think all the pre-box set releases are the same content, what changed was the jackets, P&S vs WS, NTSC/PAL and the fab that made the disc. Different fabs might have used different parameters in the transfer, so things might be lighter or darker but that's about it. It's not like DVDs where they make a gazillion all at once, the runs for LDs were typically much, much smaller numbers, that's why there were so many.

Not sure when they cleaned up the audio, that might have been in the later releases. Also not sure offhand when they went from DD to AC-3, not sure if that happened any time before the box set.

Last edited by T.G; 02-16-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #54
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

How much would the Death Star cost to build???

http://now.msn.com/now/0221-death-star-cost.aspx

$852 quadrillion

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #55
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
How much would the Death Star cost to build???

http://now.msn.com/now/0221-death-star-cost.aspx

$852 quadrillion
Nice find!

Insert quote here.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #56
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Aside from the adding of the episode number, I don't think anything else was changed. "Release Versions" defined the pressing run, not necessarily a change in the movie (LDs are kind of weird in some of their nomenclature). Exempting the first release version, I think all the pre-box set releases are the same content, what changed was the jackets, P&S vs WS, NTSC/PAL and the fab that made the disc. Different fabs might have used different parameters in the transfer, so things might be lighter or darker but that's about it. It's not like DVDs where they make a gazillion all at once, the runs for LDs were typically much, much smaller numbers, that's why there were so many.

Not sure when they cleaned up the audio, that might have been in the later releases. Also not sure offhand when they went from DD to AC-3, not sure if that happened any time before the box set.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but some in depth discussion would be nice here....

Lucas made the changes to add the "Episode IV" to the title crawl early on b/c the original release production companies thought that audiences would be confused by starting a new film with episode IV. I don't agree with the other changes, but Lucas owns the film and his vision is his vision. If he wants the changes, then so be it. Do I like all of them? No. But it's not my films to play with.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #57
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

I Love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7oMGlCLCE
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #58
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but some in depth discussion would be nice here....

Lucas made the changes to add the "Episode IV" to the title crawl early on b/c the original release production companies thought that audiences would be confused by starting a new film with episode IV. I don't agree with the other changes, but Lucas owns the film and his vision is his vision. If he wants the changes, then so be it. Do I like all of them? No. But it's not my films to play with.
I was just trying to explain that when LD collectors talk about released versions of a disc, it doesn't necessarily mean that the movie changed, it just means that it was a different pressing run. LD's are confusing and standardized that way, sometimes it changed, sometimes it didn't.

Aside from the title crawl, I don't think anything else was changed until the trilogy box set came out, I also don't think that the audio was remastered until then either - I'll have to check.

Aside from the Han Solo not shooting first anymore bit, I think most of the Trilogy additional footage was as harmless as it was useless and unnecessary (although I did chuckle at the Jawas that went over the top of the bantha and were dangling by the reins and cursing when the speeder bike cut them off)

I'm not crazy about the later changes, but ultimately, I really don't care either. It's just a f'ing movie after all.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #59
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Knowing that I love both of you should make this point easier to swallow. This ain't the thread for it, haha.
Nothing to see here...er, EVERYTHNG to see here, but a bunch of long-boring words ain't it.

Hey look, it's Halley's Comet!
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #60
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

No worries Brad, I'm not really interested in debating the changes in Star Wars any more than debating why Star Trek is better, I just felt that Andy deserved a better explanation of what I meant in my earlier post.