Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #81
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Anyone use the Amazon Fire Stick? We're thinking about dropping the cable once we move into our retirement home next month. We use a PS3 for Netflix and Amazon Prime on our living room TV. Was thinking about getting a Fire Stick for the bedroom (that sounds naughtier than it should ) and man cave. So if anyone uses it I'd appreciate their thoughts on it,
Old 03-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #82
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

We have FireTV. I use the phone app for it from time to time, which is the only way to use the stick I believe. I find the phone app good but a little sensitive for moving around the GUI. I'd give the nod to the firetv because you get a remote.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #83
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I ended up getting the Sling for the wife as I watch only Netflix and MLB.tv. Came with a free Roku stick. Good to go, not paying close to $100 a month for Directv stuff I never watch!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #84
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Anyone use the Amazon Fire Stick? We're thinking about dropping the cable once we move into our retirement home next month. We use a PS3 for Netflix and Amazon Prime on our living room TV. Was thinking about getting a Fire Stick for the bedroom (that sounds naughtier than it should ) and man cave. So if anyone uses it I'd appreciate their thoughts on it,
I have a firestick and I really like it. A big thing for me is having the remote instead of having to use my computer or phone like for my chromecast. It also has dual band wifi which the chromecast doesn't. The Firestick UI is really nice. Go for it!
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #85
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, men!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #86
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
We have FireTV. I use the phone app for it from time to time, which is the only way to use the stick I believe. I find the phone app good but a little sensitive for moving around the GUI. I'd give the nod to the firetv because you get a remote.
I looked at the Amazon site and the Stick comes with a remote now.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #87
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I looked at the Amazon site and the Stick comes with a remote now.
It does indeed come with a remote. It's a very basic one but it's all you need. You can upgrade to a fancier remote, which I think comes with the Fire TV.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #88
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Sling TV app lands on Xbox One today for a free 30 month trial
Old 03-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #89
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

30 months would be awesome
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #90
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

One step closer to cutting the cord. Got my new HDTV antenna in and connected. Problem I'm having now is getting my tv remote to do the audio lock. I run all my sound they my a/v receiver. It won't lock in, so in order to change the volume, I need to switch back/forth between tv and audio. So, what's a good remote I can use to replace all my remotes?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #91
hotreds

Bolivar

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...iversal+remote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #92
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Boom! Getting better and better...Sling Tv now gonna offer HBO GO before the season premiere of Game Of Thrones....it's an extra $15 on top of the $20 Sling Tv fee, but it beats $180 still

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/02/sling-...lusivity-deal/
Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #93
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Well I cut the cord yesterday all I have now is internet with Comcast for $80 a month......starting to have regrets.....
Old 04-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #94
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Well I cut the cord yesterday all I have now is internet with Comcast for $80 a month......starting to have regrets.....
Regrets in having Comcast? I would too....
Old 04-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #95
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Regrets in having Comcast? I would too....
Ha, no just that the Internet is going to be $90 a month + Netflix $8 then was thinking of adding Sling TV which is $20 a month & HBO Now another $15 a month, but can cancel at anytime, so after Game Of Thrones it's gone.

Just didn't seem like I was getting a break really.

**update* wife just text me and said she got them down to $60 a month for the internet, so def getting Sling TV with HBO now
Old 04-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #96
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Yea, that's my fear too Mickey. Once you start subscribing to all the different streaming systems, you end up near or at what you had with cable.

I just signed up for HBO Now yesterday. That along with my Fire TV and my new HDTV antenna, has me at the point of cutting the cord. Problem is getting good sound out of my TV when OTA, through my receiver. I have an older TV with only Digital Audio out.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:09 AM   #97
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

ANyone here do Sling TV? We just started it and it's pretty cool. We have Netflix, an antenna, amazon prime and now Sling TV.

We paid for 3 months upfront for sling tv and they sent us a Roku. We get 12 tv channels for only $20/month. it has espn, espn 2, food network, history channel, history 2, travel channel, disney, and a few others. the cool thing with the sling tv is that on some of the channels you can go back as far as 4 days and watch tv shows you missed. My wife and I love it.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #98
hotreds

Bolivar

Have Sling mainly for mama as I watch primarily Netflix and sports on ESPN or MLB.TV on Roku.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #99
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

How's that hdtv antenna working for you, Bob? How far are you from the transmission towers? Everything I've been looking at says most are good in the 35-40 mile range and I'm probably closer to 50.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #100
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
How's that hdtv antenna working for you, Bob? How far are you from the transmission towers? Everything I've been looking at says most are good in the 35-40 mile range and I'm probably closer to 50.
So far so good. I'll have to look it up to see how far away I am. I've yet to really test it out, to see how good of a signal I'm getting. I just put it up on the one location the wall and did a channel scan.

BTW, I bought the non amplified Amazon version antenna. Was like $25-30.