Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #61
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

I think once I get done with all my travel for work, I'm ditching the cable. Like you Adam, I find I watch a lot of stuff I've already seen. Might be even more incentive to do something other than watch tv. Like smoke more cigars? Oh crap, there goes any savings.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #62
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

If there were a way to get sports I'd dump my dish in a minute! I don't watch anything but sports. SWMBO might be upset, however, as she watches quite a few of the channels.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #63
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The one problem here is that first run shows (like True Blood) from HBO are not available online unless you have an HBO subscription or want to wait a year for the DVDs...
Use a friend or relative's cable company login to watch HBO.

Plenty of sites have shows after the next day as well. Image quality can vary.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #64
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I have not had cable or satellite for over a year. We use Netflix and Hulu. I also do the MLB TV on my Xbox.

For football, I use this crazy online streaming deal... Not HD, but as long as I am not throwing a super bowl party, I can dig it.

It works good. We seem to be gone a bit and every time I think about getting cable, when I price it all out, that alone turns me away again.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #65
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

15 months now and don't regret it at all. Here is my setup:

- OTA antenna on the roof

- I have a basic $45/month internet bill thru TW

- I pay $14 a month for a tivo subscription which I have a roamio and a mini. We use those as our main guide and DVR so that we can watch network shows we record on either the main TV or the cigar room TV where we are at 5-7 nights a week after the kids go to bed. We could probably get by with just the main DVR but the mini has a lifetime subscription so no extra.

- Netflix streaming subscription - $8/month

- 2 Apple TV's to watch netflix (could watch on tivo box but the interface is so much better on the ATV's)

- We also buy a seasons worth of about 2 or 3 shows from itunes (SoA, Justified, was Breaking Bad). Cost of those are about a month and a halfs worth of what we were paying for on DirecTV.

So in total I pay about $22 a month for TV. I don't consider the internet price because we would have it regardless. The initial setup fee is a bit higher but that was paid off in the first 6 months of cutting the cord.

The only sports I really watch is college football, and I get my fulfillment with what already comes in OTA. I miss baseball at times.
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #66
pattersong
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Greg
Trading: (0)
HdM
pattersong is on a distinguished road

I just cut the line over this past weekend. Where I am in Toronto, Rogers has a monopoly on the cable TV/Internet services market. They charge ridiculous fees for what you receive.

I signed up for a smaller known Internet service provider with unlimited bandwidth at 1/3 of the cost of Rogers.

Subscribe to Netflix and VPN into the American programming. I can't go without hockey, so I will pay for the hockey season. All said and done, I haven't saved a whole lot more than before the cut, but I receive much more programming.
OTA might be the next logical step.

Cable Internet: $45/mo (unlimited b/w)
Netflix: $8.99/mo
NHL $12/mo
VPN: $2/mo
pattersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #67
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

So after a month of no cable, I have burned through all of the episodes of Columbo, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, Dr. Who and Keeping Up Appearances, along with a few random shows on Netflix. I'm working on the Rockford Files now.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #68
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
So after a month of no cable, I have burned through all of the episodes of Columbo, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, Dr. Who and Keeping Up Appearances, along with a few random shows on Netflix. I'm working on the Rockford Files now.
The Rifleman or Gunsmoke are pretty good.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #69
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon has the fire tv stick (think chromecast) for 19 bucks, two days only.
Drawback? Ships mid-December.
I figured for 19 bucks, it'd show up right in time for tv watching season. It's usually $39.

I'm a slave to Directv. We can't survive without football here, Weeze and I don't miss a game.
As soon as the NFL offers all the games online, Directv is gone. And I mean within seconds.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #70
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
So after a month of no cable, I'm working on the Rockford Files now.
Love that SHOW. He reminds me of what my dad looked like before he passed away in 92. Not only looked like Jim Rockford but sounded like him. Almost thought they were secret twins LOL

James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #71
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I caught a lot of Rifleman (Chuck Connors the original multi-sport pro jock) on MeTV and how can you not love Matt Dillon .. 2 solid choices to put on the list.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #72
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I figured for 19 bucks, it'd show up right in time for tv watching season. It's usually $39.

I'm a slave to Directv. We can't survive without football here, Weeze and I don't miss a game.
As soon as the NFL offers all the games online, Directv is gone. And I mean within seconds.
Well they do, but there's some hoops you have to jump through. Only costs about $200 a season, too, as opposed to what Sunday Ticket charges.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #73
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well they do, but there's some hoops you have to jump through. Only costs about $200 a season, too, as opposed to what Sunday Ticket charges.
They offer them after they are played, no?
I had no idea they offered live games. If they do, I could tabcast that.
We used to watch on wiziwig, but that was kind of a pain.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:14 AM   #74
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I dropped cable and got a digital antenna. Works great.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #75
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
They offer them after they are played, no?
I had no idea they offered live games. If they do, I could tabcast that.
We used to watch on wiziwig, but that was kind of a pain.
Nope, what I'm talking about is a live, HD broadcast.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #76
weems
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
weems is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Same here, can't miss any SEC game. But I freaking hate DirecTV.
weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #77
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Ok seriously thinking about doing this again. I have Comcast with Internet, 2 DVRS Cable w/HBO only for about $170 a month.

I watch AMC (Walking Dead, Saul, Madmen) the most, Vh1 Classic for That Metal Show, Spike for Ink Master & Bar Rescue & HBO for well their series as well....that's about it.

Wife and boy watch ABC Family, Lifetime & The cartoon channels.

I subscribe to Nextflix and stream everything through the Xbox (One is on it's way)

We looked at HULU, but there was a particular show we were watching at the time (Nurse Jackie or Dexter or Madmen.....I don't remember), but they didn't have the current season, so we didn't get it.

I bought her the ROKU last year and decided it wasn't worth since you still had to subscribe to things, so I returned it.

Thinking about doing the ChromeCast....I torrent films and some tv show seasons.

So, with what I have/watch what would you consider would be my best move? I would have to keep internet that's a no brainier ($72 a month)

What is PlayOn? Do they have current seasons? Same with Plex?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:38 AM   #78
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

We are also thinking of getting rid of our tv services when our contract is up. It's crazy expensive. Some future relatives have a roku and some other plug in stick and are satisfied. I don't watch a ton of sports so it doesn't matter much to me. All that matters is $125/month with a discount is a shame for tv.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #79
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road

We cut the cable about 3 years ago and I have not missed it a bit.

For sports I usually go to a sports bar or hang out with my friends to watch a game.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #80
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I have heard that HULU still has commercials WTF???? Even though you pay for the service you still have to sit through commercials?????