Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Darrell

Default Star Trek (2009)

AMAZING is the first word that comes to mind when I think of J.J. Abrams adaptation of the timeless Science Fiction classic, Star Trek. This was a prequel since it took place during part of both young James T. Kirk and Spock’s young lives. This quickly jumps forward to their time in Starfleet Academy and their first mission aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise. I’m not going to go into so much detail about the plot as I do not want to give so much away.

Chris Pine was amazing as James Kirk, he was young and reckless and played the part to perfection. He was convincing as James Kirk and about as well rounded as possible. I cannot imagine anyone player a better young James T. Kirk. Zack Quinto played the young Vulcan/Human Spock and was amazingly convincing as an emotionless Vulcan Starfleet Commander, even in the face of danger and heartache. I have a feeling Leonard Nimoy is proud to Have him as Spock as he really went above and beyond and played Spock perfect. Simon Pegg was HILARIOUS as Scotty, I guarantee he will have you cracking up. They did not go much into his background and he was maybe only on screen a total of 30 minutes, but most of what he said made me and the rest of the theater laugh.

The action and CGI sequences in Star Trek were amazing. The U.S.S. Enterprise looked true to the originally just “prettier” for lack of better term. Modern CGI and technology was good to the Enterprise. The battle scenes looked like they were shot part with miniatures and CGI. I was really impressed with how well everything looked and was shot. It was true to the original series, but when a modern look and feel. The plot was solid as a rock in this, it was one of the best written Science Fiction movies I’ve ever seen, their was not a single plot hole anywhere in the movie — everything was well explained, drawn out to the correct length as to not make the movie slow, and executed with ease.

This was by FAR the best Star Trek movie and a real treat for anyone who loves both Science Fiction and Star Trek. It’s movies like this that remind me why I love film so much.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Star Trek (2009)

I, likewise enjoyed the movie!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

For once I have to agree with Darrell!!!

This is a fun, enjoyable, serious, and touching adventure movie that will have you on the edge of your seat and feeling a roller coaster range of emotions. This is not your father's Star Trek!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
BMTA

Dangit I'm already dyin to see it, but got to much to do this weekend. Will probably have to sneek away and watch it alone anyway. Girlfriends not a Trekie!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
BC-Axeman

My wife's work group all got taken out to see it. Now when I go to see it with her I get to hear her peanut gallery comments. "Oh, hear comes the good part!", "Just wait", etc.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Thanks, Darrell!

I am an long-time Trek fan... haven't had the chance to see it yet. Your expertise has me really excited to see this film.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Not everyone liked it.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough

I was somewhat dissapointed, and here is why: I like Star Trek because it had a sense of subtle cheesiness to it in the past...but it worked. I like big budget movies fine, like Terminator and Transformers and such...but not the Star Trek. Some things should not get CGI'd up. I think the franchise should look into the future, not the past. But, I suppose, they will get their big budget money...
Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
TRicker

Awesome movie, I give it
Old 05-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Not everyone liked it.
Everyone should check this link out!!! Hilarious!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Can't wait!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
hoax

I loved it. In all honesty the plot was a bit thin but the movie was really about meeting the new crew. From start to finish it was massively entertaining.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
My wife's work group all got taken out to see it. Now when I go to see it with her I get to hear her peanut gallery comments. "Oh, hear comes the good part!", "Just wait", etc.
I hear duct tape works.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Everyone should check this link out!!! Hilarious!!!
And Bree is uber cute
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #15
ca21455
Working on Reality

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ca21455 is on a distinguished road

Believe it or not the wife wanted the kids to bring her to see Star Trek for Mothers Day. So we went after dinner.

I thought it was really well done and enjoyed it a lot. Only bad thing was the lady behind us fell asleep and amazingly she snored so load you could hear her over the soundtrack. Someone finally woke her up, incredible.
ca21455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Went last night with some friends. Amazingly Ashley wanted to come with. Neither of us are Star Trek fans... in fact neither of us had ever seen anything even remotely Star Trek related. I mean we knew who William Shatner and we've heard the name Spock before.. but other than that... nada.

But in the end, we both loved it.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Thanks, Darrell!

I am an long-time Trek fan... haven't had the chance to see it yet. Your expertise has me really excited to see this film.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #18
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Just got back from seeing it. WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!!
Can't wait to buy the DVD.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
Skywalker
BABOTL

Partagas

I took Heather to see it tonight!!!

She loved it!!!

This was my second time and I think this movie has something for eveyone!!! What a great mix of comedy, adventure, action, drama, and sci fi!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Going to see this tomorrow

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote