Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 04-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #101
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
ANyone here do Sling TV? We just started it and it's pretty cool. We have Netflix, an antenna, amazon prime and now Sling TV.

We paid for 3 months upfront for sling tv and they sent us a Roku. We get 12 tv channels for only $20/month. it has espn, espn 2, food network, history channel, history 2, travel channel, disney, and a few others. the cool thing with the sling tv is that on some of the channels you can go back as far as 4 days and watch tv shows you missed. My wife and I love it.
Wow! That's a nice deal, they send you a Roku? Wonder why they did that? I can use it on my Xbox One.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #102
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I don't have an xbox and it was just one of the options. if you paid for 3 months up front they sent it to you
Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #103
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
I don't have an xbox and it was just one of the options. if you paid for 3 months up front they sent it to you
Interesting....thanks......doing this today since GOT starts Sunday
Old 04-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #104
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
How's that hdtv antenna working for you, Bob? How far are you from the transmission towers? Everything I've been looking at says most are good in the 35-40 mile range and I'm probably closer to 50.
Did a bit of moving the antenna around. Looks like I'll need an extension to the cord that comes on the one I bought. Found putting it in a window increases the signal level a lot.

Looking online, I'm anywhere from 15-18 miles from most of the stations. My guess is you'd want either an amplified indoor, or an external.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #105
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Did a bit of moving the antenna around. Looks like I'll need an extension to the cord that comes on the one I bought. Found putting it in a window increases the signal level a lot.

Looking online, I'm anywhere from 15-18 miles from most of the stations. My guess is you'd want either an amplified indoor, or an external.
Yeah, definately an external for me. I'd guess the most powerful one I can find to cover my 50-60 mile range. Everything I see so far states most ranges advertised are exaggerated, so I'll probably need something close to 80-100 mile range.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #106
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

It's amazing how much the cable companies compress the signal. Colors more vibrant OTA.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #107
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

So I've been without cable for three days now. A lot less surfing, more actual watching. I'm still getting some basic cable thru the line, including local hd channels. I'm still trying to find the best spot to put my hd antenna. Where it is now, anytime a car drives by, I lose signal for a couple seconds.

Best part of all of this, my bill will only be $20/month for the next year.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #108
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

After two months, I threw in the towel and got DirecTv. I was missing hockey too much.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #109
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
After two months, I threw in the towel and got DirecTv. I was missing hockey too much.
Why not do this if you are missing hockey..

https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/sec...xbox-landingpg

I am thinking of getting it just so I can get into hockey more.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #110
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Cancelling Sling today.....not impressed with it & GOT is now over.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #111
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

What internet speeds do you guys have for all the streaming? I just got 50mbps and initial usage looks good. I'm just thinking if there is multiple people streaming and using the internet that it would slow down too much. Upgrade to 100mbps?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #112
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Im still on 15mbps. Works well enough for me, even at peak times, with only the occassional lag. But them I"m the only one in the house.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #113
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

My speed is 75 at the router, 25 at my computer. You lose and INCREDIBLE amount of speed- per inch of distance it seems!
Old 12-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #114
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Anyone here use the PlaystationVue streaming service?

How do you like it? Does thier "cloud DVR" functionality work to your satisfaction?

I'm getting ready to cut the cord and PlaystationVue is the frontrunner. I will be taking advantage of the 7-day free trial in January.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #115
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Anyone here use the PlaystationVue streaming service?

How do you like it? Does thier "cloud DVR" functionality work to your satisfaction?

I'm getting ready to cut the cord and PlaystationVue is the frontrunner. I will be taking advantage of the 7-day free trial in January.
Started the free trial the day before yesterday.
Looks like all systems are go.

I actually prefer the UI on the Amazon Fire Stick over the AppleTV. But they only launched PSV for the AppleTV in November, so I am hoping improvements are on the way soon.

Gonna dump AT&T for TV and as an ISP.
Switching to PlayStation Vue and back to Time Warner/Spectrum for Internet. Internet speed going from 24Mbps to 100Mbps!
I'll be saving $100/month the first year and $80/month after that.

Onetime hardware outlay of $220. AppleTV ($150) and 2 Amazon Fire Sticks ($70).

Cutting the cord rocks!
Old 01-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #116
pnoon
YNWA

RA

I'm loving my new internet throughput.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #117
Greentud
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
VR
Greentud is on a distinguished road

Antenna for local. Amazon fire stick and kodi gets me all I need. Ongoing cost is $99 per year for Amazon Prime.
Greentud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #118
Greentud
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
VR
Greentud is on a distinguished road

Forgot to add that I am currently using Playstation Vue because it gives me NESN so I can watch the Bruins via a better quality stream than I'm getting through Kodi. I don't like the Red Sox so I will cancel it once hockey is over which for the Bruins should be soon.
Greentud is offline   Reply With Quote