Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Rogue One -

So I was lucky enough to see this tonight, thanks to a brother here, well actually thanks to his wife not wanting to attend, it was one of those "rent the entire theater out" deals his neighbor does every year for Star Wars movies.

To me this was by far the best Star Wars movie to date. Without giving anything away there is more actual fighting and action in this movie than probably all past movies combined. They also did a much better job of trying to convey actual size of things, such as the Death Star, Star Cruisers, etc,.

There are many little shoutouts to the other movies, wether situations, people, random items, dialog, callsigns, etc.

Very enjoyable, it actually made me wonder how the Alliance got so "wimpy" in the short period of time between this movie and A New Hope.

After you see it and you think about it for 3 seconds you can also tell what one of the next standalone stories is going to be.

My favorite overheard conversation was this guy saying to his rather cute girlfriend, "wow they should make a sequel!", to which she replied, they did... 7 of them and most of them sucked.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #2
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rogue One -

Old 12-16-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Glad to hear it. I've been staying away from reviews for fear of spoilers, but most of the headlines for those reviews seem to be positive.

I've got tickets for today and am even more excited now.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
AdamJoshua

I'd be interested to know your opinion.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I saw it last night as well. Give it a 7 out of 10. Very fast paced, but not a lot of character development outside of Jyn. But in the context of the movie, it was more about the mission. And after thinking about it more today, it makes sense. (No spoilers here).
Old 12-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Adam... I've heard nothing but positive reviews on this release. In regards to character development, and fast-pace action movies, I think one simply has to keep an open mind and allow "your mind" to develop the characters, and not have the movie "hold your hand" through its journey. It would be nice to have a 3 hour movie for character development, but probably not.

Of course, I haven't seen Rogue One yet, so I'm probably just blowing hot air I may have a different and updated opinion later...
Old 12-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #7
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks Adam... I've heard nothing but positive reviews on this release. In regards to character development, and fast-pace action movies, I think one simply has to keep an open mind and allow "your mind" to develop the characters, and not have the movie "hold your hand" through its journey. It would be nice to have a 3 hour movie for character development, but probably not.

Of course, I haven't seen Rogue One yet, so I'm probably just blowing hot air I may have a different and updated opinion later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I saw it last night as well. Give it a 7 out of 10. Very fast paced, but not a lot of character development outside of Jyn. But in the context of the movie, it was more about the mission. And after thinking about it more today, it makes sense. (No spoilers here).

It's a heist movie that takes place during a war, the heist is the thing.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #8
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna have to watch this with Tom and have Ads explain what number it is over the speaker phone.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

First Name: Mark
Trading: (14)
Partagas
8lug is on a distinguished road

Just seen it
8lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
It's a heist movie that takes place during a war, the heist is the thing.
So Kelly's Heroes in space?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:43 PM   #12
AdamJoshua

Funny but I always thought it was a cross between Magnificent Seven and Kelly's Heroes (one of my favorite movies).
Old 12-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm gonna have to watch this with Tom and have Ads explain what number it is over the speaker phone.
Simple. The number of Rogue One is one. It is the first in a series parallel to the "actual" Star Wars movies, though still officially "canonical".

The flick can't be too good. It has only grossed a measly $650 million or so . . . so far.