Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #101
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Under $20 A Bottle Wine Thread:

Please allow me to re-state that this is the under $20 a bottle wine thread, It's meant to make suggestions for good, very good and occasionally an excellent wine that can be had for $20 a bottle or less.

I fail to understand the bashing of many suggestions made on this thread, accompanied by volumes of rhetoric comparing a simple $20 or less bottle of wine, with world class and far more expensive wines.

To me the topic of this thread is important because there are many, many thousands of us who cannot afford to purchase $30 +, $50 +, $100 + and so on, bottles of wine on a regular basis than there are who can!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #102
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Wow, a Kosta Browne reference. How did you get your hands on one?
Same way everyone does, I reckon. I paid for it. It's a fantastic wine. For my money, it's the best Pinot around. But this is an under $20 thread, so that's neither here nor there.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #103
RichardW
Committed

Trading: (10)
Partagas
RichardW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Please allow me to re-state that this is the under $20 a bottle wine thread, It's meant to make suggestions for good, very good and occasionally an excellent wine that can be had for $20 a bottle or less.
[snip]
Richard Cacciato, chief executive of New York importer Frederick Wildman & Sons, says $40 is the new resistance point, and demand is focused on $10 to $20 wines. Australia is down, while Spain and Argentina are up.
[http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...aaCF8_4ghYm8#]

Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #104
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I fail to understand the bashing of many suggestions made on this thread, accompanied by volumes of rhetoric comparing a simple $20 or less bottle of wine, with world class and far more expensive wines.

To me the topic of this thread is important because there are many, many thousands of us who cannot afford to purchase $30 +, $50 +, $100 + and so on, bottles of wine on a regular basis than there are who can!
No one is bashing your recommendations. I should emphasize, YOURS. But when you post someone else's, without ever tasting the wine, I think it is fair game to question them. If you think I am drinking a $100 bottle every night, you are mistaken. Hell, I am down with a flu since the middle of last week and haven't had any wine or cigars since (was tempted tonight, though, still congested and coughing).

Also, what I attempted to do was to show how to read a tasting note and decipher it. Only because something got a 91 score, from who knows who (Sam's employee? Wow, I should run out and buy a pallet!) when the wine description is obviously showing an overripe and overoaked wine from questionable provenance, I don't see why someone should not point it out.

Same as would happen with anyone posting a very positive, 91 score review on Cremosa or another questionable stick, I would expect at least one person to chime in with a contrarian view. No difference.

Nothing personal, as I already pointed out. Simply questioning some recommendations you posted (and others as well). They are not wines made by you, don't take it personally to begin with. I never recommend anything I haven't tried myself and although I may point out a particular winery if a particular style of wine is being discussed, I feel I am playing with someone else's money if I recommend something without having actual experience with it. Not fair to the other person, IMO. That's all and nothing sinister.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #105
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
For my money, it's the best Pinot around.
Thread jack, but what other Pinots are you drinking? As a reference point.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #106
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Go to Spanish Table in Berkeley, Kevin has a great selection of Spanish wines (and Portos as well), if you like Paso Robles versons, then I am sure you'll love the real deal, so to speak.
When I was in Finland for two weeks on business I sampled a lot of different European wines and though I don't remember any labels I do remember liking the Spanish and Portuguese ones the most. They even offered good California wines. I think I was the only person in Helsinki who smoked cigars, by the looks I got.
Found the link:
http://spanishtable.com/BerkeleyWineList.htm
Lotsa stuff for under $20 there, including some Portos and Madeiras.

Last edited by BC-Axeman; 02-26-2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Linkey
Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #107
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Kevin knows each and every wine. Try some whites as well, some are really good. Splurge (less than $30?) on a bottle of Toro Albala Pedro Ximenez and have some next time you light up, let me know what think.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #108
cherrybomb
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cherrybomb is on a distinguished road

To sum up four pages of disagreements, one should find a reviewer that best suites their style and palate and use them as a frame of referrence. Old bob, for example likes really overextracted glycerin driven wines right now, if that is what you like then listen to his ratings.

Seangar:
You should try oregon chards if you like more acid and fruit driven chards. I had some 91 arglye vineyards and 91 eyrie pinot noirs that drank beautifully this spring. Pretty darn exceptional for oregon fruit. Btw oregon is on the same 45th parallell as burgundy

Chile:
Marques de casa concha cabernet
Spain: Tinto pesquera
Oregon: Anne amie pinot gris or lacchini pinot gris, evolution by sokol blosser
cherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #109
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I agree with you. Pretty easy to see about where this turn of events started, no?
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 AM   #110
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Back on track, a Spanish that I have enjoyed many times in the past that should run $12-14 is

Castell del Remei Gotim Bru. Mostly tempranillo, with some cabernet sauvignon, merlot and grenache thrown in. Price went up from 10-ish to 12-13-ish locally and I wasn't as impressed with the last available vintage as I had been in the past. Nonetheless, a fine wine for the nickel based on my 'sub 20 palate'.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #111
cherrybomb
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cherrybomb is on a distinguished road

I agree totally with sen gar +1 for the gotim Bru.
Also Vino Sin Ley G2 and G5 from spain are great buys hitting the 9.99 and 13.99 pricepoints
cherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #112
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
Back on track, a Spanish that I have enjoyed many times in the past that should run $12-14 is

Castell del Remei Gotim Bru.

Good pick. This wine does vary some with the vintage. I had a case of the 2000 that was impressive, but a had (2003 I think) that was just a little better than average.

Spain is good for under $20 wines. The Marques de Caceres Reserva is better if you can find under $20.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #113
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Spain is good for under $20 wines. The Marques de Caceres Reserva is better if you can find under $20.
You mentioned that one before, I'll have to look for it tonight.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #114
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Here is what sounds like an interesting red from Spain. I have not tried this, so this is not a recommendation, it is simply an awareness post. I would like to see more awareness post in this thread! It's not necessary to have tried a wine to post it as a awareness post. It's just letting others know of another possibly good, under $20 a bottle wine, that they may not have seen any advertising on!

2007 Celler El Masroig Sola Fred

The red wines begin with the 2007 Sola Fred, a non-oaked cuvee of 90% Carinena and 10% Garnacha. Dark ruby-colored, it has an excellent nose of violets, black cherry, and earth notes. Supple and forward on the palate, it has serious depth of flavor, excellent balance, and a long, fruity finish. This hedonistic effort is a great value for drinking over the next 2-3 years. There are up to 8000 cases available for the USA market."

90 points, Jay Miller
from Robert Parker, Jr.'s, Wine Advocate

$8.99 per 750ml bottle!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #115
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

For cheap wine I like this- http://www.salutewinemarket.com/stor...rois-Red-2007/

It can be found at most grocery stores.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #116
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

To me the topic of this thread is important because there are many, many thousands of us who cannot afford to purchase $30 +, $50 +, $100 + and so on, bottles of wine on a regular basis than there are who can![/quote]

Although I do occasionally splurge
WildBlueSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #117
BC-Axeman

I have never bought a bottle of wine for more than $55. That was for a limited release Pinot which was very good. I think a lot of wine is targeted at the 15 to 25 dollar range and there are so many good ones.
I like most of the wines I have tasted from Trinitas winery in Napa and they are mostly under $20. One of the few club shipments I get.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #118
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Check out the bin ends for the best values in the $20 range.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #119
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Check out the bin ends for the best values in the $20 range.
Could you explain in more detail what is meant by "Bin ends"? For some reason it's not clicking with me.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #120
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Gott, both Zin and Cab. Zin should be $12 or so, Cab a few dollars more. Old timers in the wine game, although still not well known. Well made wines.

Franciscan Cab. Can be found for $20. A touch on the oaky side for my palate, but should be really fine for most.

Dancing Bull Zin, should be $12 or so. Great wine all around, maybe better than Gott Zin above, although I like smaller wineries and would still pick Gott for that reason alone.

La Crema Sonoma Coast Pinot, I see it for $20 all over the place in CA, by far the best Pinot in this price range and the only one I would spend my own money on. Drinks better than many Pinots at (up to) double the price.

Save for Dancing Bull Zin, I have no idea if these wines are available in other states, although Franciscan should be. Price wise, I've seen some wines sell at better prices in other states, FL and NJ, than they are here.