Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Tatuaje RC233

The name of this Tatuaje can simply be explained. The cigar is rolled in traditional Cuban style, where the RC stands for "Retro Cuban" and the number stands for the millimeters of length. The RC233 is 233 millimeter long, that makes 9.125 inch and has a ring of 55 at the thickest part of the figurado shaped cigar. This vitola is rolled exclusively by Don Pepin Garcia himself, and I bought this stick at his factory when I visited Miami in May of this year. I promised myself I would smoke it on a special occasion, and that occasion turned out to be the birth of my first nephew Simon, who was born on Sunday November 15. The cigar has a perfecto shape, but it's bigger than any perfecto I have ever seen.

The cigar has an interesting silver foil wrapping on from the head of the cigar till the mid section, where a red, white, blue band with the fleur-de-lis that Pete Johnson likes to use covers the end of the foil. The foil is also based on the old Cuban style foil-wrapped figurados.

The Nicaraguan corojo wrapper is oily and has some veins running over it. The aroma of the cigar reminds me of straw and hay, but has a little sourish smell to it. Upon inspection I cannot find anything wrong with the construction, and the perfect predraw supports the idea that the construction is flawless. The predraw leaves a mild peppery raisin flavor on my palate.

I am surprised by the leathery flavor with the earthy notes and the hint of coffee. The flavors are quite full, bold and very pleasant. A little herbal flavor joins the other flavors and everything is perfectly balanced.
After 2 inch the earthy flavor is gone. The cigar starts to reveal its complexity and it is getting harder to recognize and name the flavors I can taste. The flavors are still full, but mellowed out and they become mild creamy.

Halfway a wood flavor joins the herbal taste and a mild pepper. I also get a fresh flavor, but it isn't a minty freshness. It is a kind of freshness that I can't explain. At the 2/3rd mark the cigar becomes a bit more spicy and I can also taste a nut flavor. The herbal flavor grows in strength and the main support flavor is wood.

The cigar produces a lot of thick white smoke and the draw is flawless. The
smoke starts out cool because of the length of the cigar. The ash has a beautiful light color and is pretty firm. I had a bit of a crooked burn in the beginning but I blame that on myself and not the cigar as it always happens to me with perfecto shaped cigars. The cigar is full flavored and medium bodied, but complex and interesting. It lasted for over 2 hours, and I wouldn't have mind if it lasted 2 more.

Would I buy this cigar again? Without hesitation. This is the best cigar I have ever smoked.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 9 / 10
Draw: 9 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Aroma (first part) 9 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 9 / 10
Aroma (last part) 9 / 10
Old 11-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tatuaje RC233

Thanks for the review and pictures Ferdie.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I really need to find time to smoke mine. Thanks for the review.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Wait... You said it's the best you've ever had??? What? Man, now I need to try this thing.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Wait... You said it's the best you've ever had??? What? Man, now I need to try this thing.
thought the same thing. i only have its younger brother, but i've always been tempted to pick this one up. are these really all rolled by the man behind the curtain himself? just this or both rcs? i had never heard this before

stearns
Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
timo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (0)
timo will become famous soon enough

I see Cartman is paying close attention.
The best cigar you (as in you) have ever smoked. Come on

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics
timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
are these really all rolled by the man behind the curtain himself? just this or both rcs? i had never heard this before
Don't know if it is for both RC's, but the RC233 is exclusivly rolled by DPG himself, according to the people in his factory.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

great review as always ferdinand
Old 11-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

So ferdie, did you like it?!? walked by these a few times, I'll be pickin' one up for sure!....Nice review and pics, as always
Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review I realy enjoyed this stick as well 2 hrs of pure enjoyment
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #11
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
So ferdie, did you like it?!?
No, this is more then "like", this is pure and unconditional love

Old 11-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
SkinsFanLarry

Ferdy, excellant review and pics my brother!
Where do you get your "cigar" holder?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

It was a gift from Tedrogerscpa
Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Great review and so tempting.

But 2hrs? Man, a stick that big I would think would take well over three to get through?
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

nah, took me approx 2 hours and 15 minutes, and I am not a quick smoker.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

Great review Ferdinand.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #17
Norcal_aaron
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (18)
Bolivar
Norcal_aaron is on a distinguished road

Nice review, I have the RC184 which I plan to smoke on Thanksgiving Day. Hope it is as tasty and enjoyable as the 233.
Norcal_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

only had the 184, but it was good.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote