Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice
Default Tatuaje M80

This stick was a gift from Jim/KenyansAndBoa at a mini-herf I hosted a couple months ago. After finishing the Viaje Skull and Bones "?" I received at the same mini-herf, I was on a bit of a strong cigar kick. I have a few more of these resting in my humidor thanks to some generous brothers here, so I decided to light this one up.

The M80 was an exclusive release for Two Guys Smoke Shop in New Hampshire. It's a shorter cigar at 4"x50, and it's finished with a long pigtail cap to mimic its namesake.

Pre-light, the scent isn't anything out of the ordinary. The cigar feels solid and firm in my hand, but the cold draw is perfect.

The first few puffs on this are spicy, but unlike the powerful black pepper in the Viaje, this is a sweeter spice. I'm always amazed at the way Pete Johnson blends his cigars in such a way as to give them a spice kick that still leaves room for other flavors. Retrohaling (be careful--it's spicy!) gives an almost creamy, woody flavor--not quite cedar, but I can't put on my finger on which type of wood it is. There is also quite a bit of spice in the back of my throat but still, as I mentioned, it's not overwhelming. This is a very strong cigar right from the start, and I can already feel a bit of a buzz.

Wow, this cigar is all about power! Over halfway through, and honestly the flavors haven't been that spectacular. I've had some burn issues due to the humidity outside where I am smoking, so it's been difficult to keep the cigar at a good temperature and, therefore, a good flavor. When I do get some flavor, especially on the retrohale, there are some roasted nuts along with the sweet spice from before. There is also, surprisingly, some slight hints of Italian spices such as basil and oregano. However, the power in this little stick is impressive. It has me more lightheaded than any cigar I've ever smoked before. I'm smoking this after a very large lunch, so if you're a new smoker or smoking on an empty stomach--beware!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
W.B.
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
W.B. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tatuaje M80

Thanks for the review. I loved them so much that I hope Pete make a "Fausto" for this one. Man that's a great cigar.
W.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
lyle23

Default Re: Tatuaje M80

Great review Jesse. Wish I could have gotten my hands on one of these. I love a cigar that has the full flavor power you are talking about.