Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #981
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
Check out:

Malones
Sal's
Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #982
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

What is the hype with the White Dog Mash? Grabbed a bottle of it and it tasted like I thought it would. Unbarreled bourbon whiskey. I think more of a novelty than a tasty product. I love Buffalo Trace, but now I understand why this was originally only sold in the gift shop.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #983
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
What is the hype with the White Dog Mash? Grabbed a bottle of it and it tasted like I thought it would. Unbarreled bourbon whiskey. I think more of a novelty than a tasty product. I love Buffalo Trace, but now I understand why this was originally only sold in the gift shop.
I think it is just a novelty, but to me it is a tasty novelty. Its interesting to be able to taste the product so you know how much barrel aging really affects the whiskey.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #984
Trent0341
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dan
Trading: (7)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Trent0341 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero95 View Post
Great thread! My wife just surprised me with a weekend trip to the bourbon trail in April. I have chosen Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Woodford, and if we have time Wild Turkey. All I have to do now is find a good restaurant in the Lexington area.
Like Macsauce said both Malones or Sals are good. If you hit Malones I highly recommend the bone in filet. If you're looking for something other than a steak Bellinis is nice on Main St. Enjoy your trip (assuming its not already over)
Trent0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #985
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent0341 View Post
Like Macsauce said both Malones or Sals are good. If you hit Malones I highly recommend the bone in filet. If you're looking for something other than a steak Bellinis is nice on Main St. Enjoy your trip (assuming its not already over)
Also Murray's! and again for a lunch or 'snack' Alf-Alfa's downtown is really good!
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #986
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

Finally picked up some Bulleit bourbon. Pretty nice. I was hoping for a little more to it. Fairly mellow, but the flavors that are there are pretty nice. Maybe I've just been drinking too much Weller 12yr recently.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #987
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
bought the kirkland borboun, and for $20.00 it is very nice. Over a cube is the best i think, but even neet it is decent. It is much better than many other equivelant low end burbouns out there. I would put it on a playing field with buffalo trace or makers.
Good to hear. I saw it for the first time last weekend. I have to finish off the Blantons before I buy another bottle of Bourbon.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #988
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLS1 View Post
Finally picked up some Bulleit bourbon. Pretty nice. I was hoping for a little more to it. Fairly mellow, but the flavors that are there are pretty nice. Maybe I've just been drinking too much Weller 12yr recently.
I guess I've just missed something with the Bullitt! Had a bottle gifted me 4-5 years ago, and I found it to be almost too harsh to drink. I gave it away, with only 2 drinks poured out of it. Haven't had the desire to re-try. Maybe I'd better look for a small bottle, and see if I am missing something, or if Bullitt just doesn't agree with my tastebuds!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #989
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I guess I've just missed something with the Bullitt! Had a bottle gifted me 4-5 years ago, and I found it to be almost too harsh to drink. I gave it away, with only 2 drinks poured out of it. Haven't had the desire to re-try. Maybe I'd better look for a small bottle, and see if I am missing something, or if Bullitt just doesn't agree with my tastebuds!!!
I heard it was fairly spicy, but I didn't really get that. The more intense flavor is the more I like it, with anything.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #990
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

I also found bullitt to be harsh,shared it with my buds while out ice fishing,heck they drink anything
Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #991
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Yep, you can't always judge a bourbon by the sticker. The WSR is good stuff. I even prefer it over the Antique 107. I enjoy the taste of the 4 Roses SB compared to the Single Barrell, which sames me money. There's a lot of value to being a bourbon drinker.
I agree I like the small batch four roses better than the single barrel. Although given the choice I'd gladly close my eyes and drink either.

I'll pick up a bottle of WSR and see what I think. Maybe tomorrow.

I generally avoid cheap booze because I hate the hangovers. Although frankly even Jim Beam goes down plenty fine with me and that's like $35 for 1.75 liters. However, cheap tequila....

Good tequila
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #992
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Yea WSR > Jim Beam for sure. They are usually the same price. I've been wanting to try the small batch FR forever. Single Barrel is excellent IMO.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #993
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Don't hesitate, the small batch is very good especially for the price. ~$28 or so last I remember. I've definitely killed a few bottles, and I'll say they didn't last more than 2 ...MAYBE 3 days. Very tasty.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #994
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

I just don't have the money to buy bottles anymore. I really had to convince myself to buy that Bulleit, haha. I drink way more beer (homebrew ), just have small pours of bourbon here and there. It's definitely on the list though. It's around $23 here.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #995
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Oh wow nice, someday I'll get into homebrewing......someday.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #996
fricky

Is anybody going to The Bourbon Sampler in Bardstown Kentucky? The sampler is one of The Boubon Festival events. All of the major distillers are present and handing out samples of their bourbon in glasses with their logo. You may keep the glasses. In addition, local restaurants and caterers have tables with various food items. It is a great opportunity to taste various bourbons and meet master distillers. The cost is $40 and well worth it.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #997
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe I've just been drinking too much Weller 12yr recently.
I just don't see the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I guess I've just missed something with the Bullitt!
Me personally, I bought a bottle, drank it, and walk past it now. This applies to the new Early Times release as well.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #998
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Alright I have to admit I was going to pick up a bottle of WSR but this bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye caught my eye. So I scored that instead.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #999
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

I just picked up (I have got to stop convincing myself to buy stuff, hah) Bulleit Rye 95 for my first Rye. Not bad. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I was expecting it to be a little different.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #1000
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I just picked up (I have got to stop convincing myself to buy stuff, hah) Bulleit Rye 95 for my first Rye. Not bad. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I was expecting it to be a little different.
I tried some of this last night. Definitly was missing something. It didn't have the sweet, spicy that I've had in some ryes. I think I'll stick to the regular Bulleit.