Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
apNgb

Default Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo

The Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo was released at the 2009 IPCPR Trade Show in New Orleans. LA. Building on the popularity of the regular Antano line of cigars, the Dark Corojo sports a very dark Corojo wrapper that is grown in the Jallapa Valley of Nicaragua. The tobaccos inside the Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo are aged for 3 years and consists of all Nicaraguan Tobacco. The Dark Corojo is said to be the strongest cigar that Joya de Nicaragua manufactures and is meant for the Full-Bodied cigar smoker.

Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Made In: Nicaragua
Size: El Martillo – 5.5×54
Price: $38.75 per 5 pack or $131.75 per box of 20 from Smoke Inn

Appearance & Construction: The Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo is one big dark log of a cigar. This cigar is packed full of tobacco and is solid from head to foot. The wrapper has a nice oily sheen to it and there are some medium sized veins and one larger vein on the wrapper. The boys at Joya de Nicaragua did a nice job of the bands on the Antano Dark Corojo. A gorgeous black and gold primary band grace the cigar, along with a nice looking foot band that came off very nice and is always appreciated.

Burning Characteristics: The Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo has a decent draw to it. The burn is completely off on this cigar and required multiple touch ups along the way. The ash is solid and compact and only has minor flowering that proved to be a nonissue.

Flavor: Wow, the Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo starts with a major pepper blast that got the back of my throat a little dry. There is also nice dark fruit sweetness there along with some coffee notes. As the second third comes and goes there is still that nice dark fruity sweetness along with the coffee, but the pepper has backed down some and is really quite enjoyable. The body of the JDN Antano Dark Corojo is ultra-full bodied and the strength is definitely full bodied.

Final Thoughts: Man, the Antano Dark Corojo kicked my ass in the strength department and I loved it. This cigar is defiantly a nice night cap from a stressful day on the job. The cigar is very rich, very flavorful and is one of the better ultra full bodied cigars I have had in a while. This cigar is no chump, it is in your flat out, in your face with bold flavor and strength.

Cigar Rating: Above Average/ Great
Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo

Dude, sweet!
I'll be home May 14th, so we'll have to get together for a herf!

Thanks for the Review!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
apNgb

For sure dude!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by apNgb View Post
The Dark Corojo is said to be the strongest cigar that Joya de Nicaragua manufactures and is meant for the Full-Bodied cigar smoker.
I'm not full-bodied, I'm big-boned.
Nice review.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
apNgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I'm not full-bodied, I'm big-boned.
Nice review.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice! But don't you think you might be in denial, maybe your just fat...JK brother. Thanks for the response!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
darkninja67

Very nice review. I love this cigar along with the regular Antanos. Full of flavor and they do have nice bands. Well done JdN
Old 05-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...these JdNs are great sticks for the money.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
p@rick

Love these sticks. And just like the JdN Antanos, they go great with a nice glass of Elijah Craig 12yr.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
silentjon

I picked up four of these - I think I will smoke one tonight.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
apNgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by p@rick View Post
Love these sticks. And just like the JdN Antanos, they go great with a nice glass of Elijah Craig 12yr.
now thats what I am talking about!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by apNgb View Post
now thats what I am talking about!
You got one for me?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review, thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Nice review, I'm gonna go look for one of those.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I picked one of these up today on my way to meet the girls at the pool. Nice cigar. I've always been a fan of the Antana, this new offering didn't disappoint!

Thanks for sharing the review
Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Nice review.

I've had a few of these. I really enjoy them but haven't really found them that full bodied, though the strength is there. I find the first half of the smoke pretty flat but really picks up in the second half. I'm thinking a year will do wonders for these smokes.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote