Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
nater

Default Lower RH with lower temp?

I recently received and setup my Edgestar 28 bottle unit, and after a few days, things have settled down nicely. I do have one question however. I have 1.5lbs of heartfelt 65% beads in my fridge, and the RH is ~66% with the fridge off and just sitting there. When I turn the fridge on (~60F), the RH drops to about 60%. Is this something that is normal? It is the thermoelectric unit, not compressor based, so I know it is not that.

Is it just the lower temp lowers the RH? Which is more desirable, 60% @ 60F or 65% at 70F?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lower RH with lower temp?

Normal, I aint smart enough to tell you why although there are some folks that will prolly chime in that can explain it to you.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

1.5 lbs should be enough beads. What is happening is when you plug in the unit, the fan kicks on, it cools, and the RH drops. Once the temperature is stabilized, the RH should come up. Have you turned it on and left it on for a few days?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

I've noticed the same relationship between Rh and temp over the years in my desktop humi. Seem to remember reading something about how temp affects the ability of the air to hold moisture ... or that whole "relative" humidity thing. Good question. Hope someone here can explain it to us.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
jaymz
God of Preservation

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
jaymz will become famous soon enough

i keep my edgestar at the highest temperature setting, so the cooling unit kicks in as little as possible. so far the temp sits rock solid at 66 degrees, and the humidity stays at 66percent. a quick drop in humidity (like when you open the doors) shouldn't harm your cigars, *especially* if you keep them in boxes or covered drawers.

a couple threads worth perusing for this kind of info are:

Vino Temp 102
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...estar+humidity

VinoTemp Humidity Test Results
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...estar+humidity
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater View Post
I recently received and setup my Edgestar 28 bottle unit, and after a few days, things have settled down nicely. I do have one question however. I have 1.5lbs of heartfelt 65% beads in my fridge, and the RH is ~66% with the fridge off and just sitting there. When I turn the fridge on (~60F), the RH drops to about 60%. Is this something that is normal? It is the thermoelectric unit, not compressor based, so I know it is not that.

Is it just the lower temp lowers the RH? Which is more desirable, 60% @ 60F or 65% at 70F?
You want to maintain the same RH, regardless of temperature. Perhaps one of the bead suppliers can comment on how the beads react to temperature. If there were no beads present, you would expect the RH to go up as the temperature declined.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

Stolen from the first google link I found, which was USA today

Quote:
Q: What is the relationship between air temperature and relative humidity?

A: Relative humidity is a percentage that reflects how close the air is to saturation, where 100% relative humidity indicates fog or rain and single-digit relative humidity indicates extremely dry air. For a given amount of water vapor in the air, relative humidity will decrease as air temperature increases and increase as air temperature decreases. Typically, relative humidity at a location is highest around daybreak when temperatures are coolest and lowest during the heat of the afternoon.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule as the amount of water vapor in the air doesn't remain constant throughout the day. In addition, temperatures not always lowest in the morning and highest in the afternoon.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Mine did that for a while then settled in and now is very steady. But from my experience with the Edgestar 28, 4 ChasDen All Cedar Drawers and 2 Cedar Shelves 1.5 # of beads is not enough. I started with that and ended up at 2.5# before it behaved like I wanted. I have mine set at the highest temp and it holds right at 66 degrees, I do not turn it off and on.

Another lesson learned was do not make changes too quickly - it takes several weeks for things to settle down after any kind of adjustments to the setup.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Justin
Trading: (4)
Montecristo
Giants85 is on a distinguished road

Somewhat off topic but I just picked up an edgestar as well and while running on warmest setting it doesn't seem to get up beyond 60f, seems to sit right around 58-60 while plugged in.

Is this OK? Or is 58 too cold?

I haven't added beads or cigars yet so I cannot comment on RH.
Giants85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants85 View Post
Somewhat off topic but I just picked up an edgestar as well and while running on warmest setting it doesn't seem to get up beyond 60f, seems to sit right around 58-60 while plugged in.

Yes, I think 58 is too cold to maintain constant RH (temperature is not bad for the cigars, but will be hard to keep your humidity level). But, that's just my

However, if you keep having troubles, I would recommend doing a search on existing threads. After that, you can start your own thread.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
nater

I have the same issue with my edgestar, the hightest temp is 60F, not 65F like everyone is saying. For now I have mine unplugged, as it is in a cool air conditioned room. If it becomes an issue, I will have to go to an external temp control unit.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants85 View Post

generally i leave the wine cooler unplugged (or off) until the weather gets warmer, then you can turn it on.. you will see your inside temps rise into the 60's.. and yes, 58 is a bit cold...
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Once again I can't explain why (Scott Shilala can) but when the power goes out at my place and the vino resets to the lowest temp the colder it is in the vino the lower the RH is. Conversly the higher the temp the higher the RH. Relative Humidity is relative to the temp I think.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Once again I can't explain why (Scott Shilala can) but when the power goes out at my place and the vino resets to the lowest temp the colder it is in the vino the lower the RH is. Conversly the higher the temp the higher the RH. Relative Humidity is relative to the temp I think.
That's my understanding too. I'm also under the impression that RH is harder to maintain at lower temps.

You have more than enough beads. If possible, I'd suggest raising your temp by 2 or 3 degrees and see how that works. If you can't, try a Johnson controller like this. Not sure about the site, but I've read that people have used this successfully to increase their fridge temps, which will help get a handle on RH.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
It may be that the cooling surface is condensing some moisture out of the air, which would reduce the humidity. Does the cooling surface get damp?
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #16
Xoner8
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Chad
Trading: (0)
VR
Xoner8 is on a distinguished road

RH is relative to the surrounding air. The colder the air is, the more tightly packed the molocules (leaving less room for water vapor) Warmer air by contrast, has its molocules further apart and is therefore capeable of sustaining (holding) more water vapor. In a sealed environment at a steady RH, if you could cool the air inside of that cabinet without introducing outside air, the RH would increase. Think of it as the cooling air squeezing the moisture out... It is important to mention that some refrigeration units dehumidify by design, like a no frost freezer for example. Hope that helps.
Xoner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #17
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
I've noticed the same relationship between Rh and temp over the years in my desktop humi. Seem to remember reading something about how temp affects the ability of the air to hold moisture ... or that whole "relative" humidity thing. Good question. Hope someone here can explain it to us.
DItto