Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default German cigars anyone?

Read this article today, an auction for his private cigars:

"Nazi Hermann Goering arrested in May 1945. He was tried for war crimes and sentenced to hang. He took a cyanide pill and died while in jail.

A collection of cigars that were made for Hitler's deputy Hermann Goering are to go up for auction today.

The cigars, expected to fetch between $1261 and $1892, were removed from the cellars of the Nazi officer's home in Brandenburg at the end of the Second World War.

They are held in boxes bearing the words "Sondernfetigung Reichsmarshall Hermann Goering" which means "Specially made for Reichsmarshall Hermann Goering".

Goering's initials, his personal coat of arms and the supplier's name, Gildemann Ltd, Cigar Manufacturers, Berlin-Hamburg, are also printed on the box.

The cigars will go under the hammer at an auction at Golding Young and Mawer auctioneers in Lincoln on behalf of a private vendor who inherited the cigars from a relative.

Auctioneer John Leatt said: "These cigars were specially made for the fuhrer's deputy and, by the vendor's family repute, were removed from the cellars of his home in Brandenburg, near Berlin, after the end of the war. They have been consigned for sale by a local private vendor who inherited them from a relative.

"These unusual items are in untouched condition and are certain to attract collectors of cigars and Third Reich memorabilia."

After the Second World War, Goering was tried at the Nuremburg Trials and found guilty of war crimes.

He was sentenced to death by hanging, but committed suicide by ingesting a cyanide capsule while waiting to be executed."
Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: German cigars anyone?

What vitola? I'd guess NOT Churchill.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Old 08-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
TOO SOON!!!!!

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
RepoGenetic
Budget Smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
RepoGenetic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
The cigars, expected to fetch between $1261 and $1892, were removed from the cellars of the Nazi officer's home in Brandenburg at the end of the Second World War.
For some reason, I'm enthralled with this extremely specific pricing. I admire an appraiser so precise there is no need to round up or down.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoGenetic View Post
For some reason, I'm enthralled with this extremely specific pricing. I admire an appraiser so precise there is no need to round up or down.
Converted to euros, it might make more sense . . . if you accept the premise that 70-year-old Nazi cigars have any value at all anyway.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
You win the internet for today, sir.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Best response possible!
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

F that piece of garbage and his cigars.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
F that piece of garbage and his cigars.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

That is a little creepy.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
Robulous78

I wonder what in heaven or on earth would make someone want to drop 2 grand on some 70 year old Nazi dog turds... how well could they have been taken care of? makes me think whoever makes such a purchase is buying simply for the Nazi "stamp"/historical significance and not for the cigars themselves.

If its going to charity I wish them all the best, but if someone is just trying to make a big buck off some Nazi crap... well, that's crappy IMHO.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
I wonder what in heaven or on earth would make someone want to drop 2 grand on some 70 year old Nazi dog turds... how well could they have been taken care of? makes me think whoever makes such a purchase is buying simply for the Nazi "stamp"/historical significance and not for the cigars themselves.

If its going to charity I wish them all the best, but if someone is just trying to make a big buck off some Nazi crap... well, that's crappy IMHO.
It's not the cigar your buying, your buying a piece of history from an important time during the history of mankind. If anyone buying these thinks they will get any kind of an experience smoking them, they are out of their minds. These have most likely spent the last 70 years in closets and attics, they are just relics from a time in the past.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
It's not the cigar your buying, your buying a piece of history from an important time during the history of mankind.
I totally agree, the cigars could be bought for a museum or for a gift for a soldier who was in WWII. Or maybe a Jewish company is going to buy them and have a Nazi Cigar Burning (destroy) night. For someone who is really big in to history i think it would be cool to find something like this. Do i agree with what he did, no i do not. But it is still a piece of history. Would you look down on the concentration camp in Europe that is now a museum? History is History if you don't like it turn on the O Channel.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoGenetic View Post
These are Germans we're talking about after all....
Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1903A1 View Post
These are Germans we're talking about after all....
Exactly. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

There's a lot of historical significance to these cigars and the valuation sounds reasonable.

I once drank some 1930's Riesling that had the 3rd Reich eagle on the label; a bit discomforting, but a nice bottle of wine.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Are sold for 1300 pounds.

http://www.goldingyoung.com/Lot/?sal...t=13&id=356504

looks like only 13 actual personal sticks.
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I thought a member here had cigars of similar significance. Coulda swore I saw a bomb thread where one was gifted to somebody. Can't for the life of me remember who though.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
exactly. Was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?
Hell no!