Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
4theLoveofCedar
Burn and Turn

Trading: (0)
4theLoveofCedar is on a distinguished road
Default Smaller ring gauges = less flavor complexity?

I've discovered that I prefer smaller ring gauge cigars. My ideal size is the classic corona and I have been enjoying some lanceros recently. They just seem to burn more evenly and have a better feel in the hand. I've started buying smaller ring gauge versions of cigars that I like, and it's too soon to draw any firm conclusions, but it seems so far that cutting the RG might also cut a little bit of the complexity from the flavor profile, perhaps because the blenders can't use as many varieties of filler leaves in the smaller RGs? I don't know if there is anything to this, and I still prefer smaller RGs regardless, but just curious what others' experiences are. To be sure, there are coronas and smaller RGs that are insanely full bodied, like the Ilusione MK Corona, one of my personal favorites. But I'm just wondering if, on average, smaller RGs might be ever so slightly less complex than the larger RGs. Has anyone tried a favorite blend in a corona or smaller RG and the same blend in a robusto or larger RG? Do you notice a slightly less complex profile in the smaller RG? It might just be the particular blends I've tried (Padron 2000 v. Londres, Oliva V Torpedo v. Lancero).
4theLoveofCedar is offline   Reply With Quote