Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Japanese Glazed chicken

This is a DELICIOUS chicken recipe I tried out last night. Came from a Japanese foreign exchange student, who called her mother in Japan for the recipe. Got it off the internet somewhere while googling options for a potluck item to bring to a dinner tomorrow night. Had to give it a test run before bringing it to a crowd. My family's response was overwhelmingly positive. The 2 and 5 year old boys were licking their fingers clean after every bite. Normally the 5 year old is a picky eater.

Anyways, I tweaked the recipe slightly, and it came out amazing. Next time I may add another clove of garlic to get more of that flavor through, but this was spectacular. Maybe even toast some sesame seeds and sprinkle on after removing from the pan.

Enjoy!

8 chicken drumsticks (though I used 1.5 pounds wing pieces)

2.5T Sugar
1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar (normal grocery store variety, not the REAL balsamic)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1 large clove garlic, crushed, but left whole
1 jalapeno - split and seeds removed
1T Sriracha

Combine all ingredients except chicken in a large saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, turn broiler to high. Arrange chicken wings on broiler pan, brush with canola oil, and place on center oven rack. I did not use a timer, just kept an eye on them. Once the skin crisps up, flip, and crisp the opposite side.

Once the skin is to your liking, remove, and add the wings to the sauce. Turn up heat, and reduce the sauce to a sticky glaze. Turn wings frequently to avoid burning.

Once sauce is reduced, remove wings and place on serving platter. Spoon any remaining glaze over the chicken, or my favorite, spoon it over rice/rice noodles.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Japanese Glazed chicken

Sounds great ....I'd eat it.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Turn up heat, and reduce the sauce to a sticky glaze. Turn wings frequently to avoid burning.
About how long would you say this took?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

The whole process, from putting the ingredients in the saucepan until the complete meal was done, took maybe 30 minutes. Seems like it takes a while to start reducing to that state, but when it starts, it happens rather quickly. Probably about 10 minutes after I turned the heat back up.