Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
amsgpwarrior
amsgpwarrior

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
amsgpwarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Viaje Platino Lancero

Viaje Platino Lancero

Origin : Nicaragua
Format : Lancero
Size : 7.5 x 38
Wrapper : Nicaraguan Corojo ‘99
Filler : Nicaraguan
Binder : Nicaraguan
Hand-Made
Price : $9.50 each

See this review with pics @ http://www.cigarinspector.com

Hype cigars?!! I got them in droves. I always have to find out whether they are worth it or not. Lately Viaje is as hot as any company out there, and its owner, Andre Farkas, keeps stoking the fire. Mostly notorious for their small batch, super hard to find, limited edition smokes, Viaje put out several mass produced lines to satisfy their eager customers (Oro, Platino, 50/50 Black, 50/50 Red, and to some extent Satori).

From forum talks and word of mouth, people have been telling me I needed to try the Platino Lancero. It seemed to be a consensus favorite among Platino line smokers. So here goes…

Appearance : ★★★★½
A beautiful but yet slightly spotted Corojo ’99 wrapper covers this cigar. Not a single flawed seem in the tobacco, and has very minor veins. It is very rare to see a lancer without a significant vein or loose seem, but this one appears to be everything one could want in a lancero at first sight. Not much aroma to the outer leaf when sniffed, and when squeezed along its length, there is a slight give to it but doesn’t feel spongy or have any soft spots.

Construction : ★★★★½
This is a category where Viaje always shines. After circumcising the head of the cigar, the dry puff is easy with a flawless draw. Thin to medium thickness smoke is emitted and increased in thickness as I progressed through the stogie. About halfway through, it went out, but it was more my fault than anything. If one doesn’t keep lightly puffing frequently on a lancer, they tend to go out pretty easily. The half star deduction came from the cigar burning too hot with 3 to 4 inches left and I can assure that this wasn’t my fault. Was not able to nub this one without burning my lips.

Flavor : ★★★½☆
After sparking the foot, the cigar brought immediate peppery spiciness and black coffee flavors and then smoothed out into some delicious leather notes. Oak is noticed on the retrohale. Body tended to lie in the mild to medium realm. Its evolution took it down the line to thin woodsy, cedary, and herbal nuances. At this point unfortunately, I started to get bored a bit. The boredom lasted through much of 2nd third (I just wasn’t being wowed with the mild flavors and thin smoke). The last part of the cigar really saved itself. The smoke thickened up quite a bit and espresso bean, floral, and cedar flavors became heightened.

Value : ★★★☆☆
Picked up mine for around $9.50 at a local B&M in Austin, TX. I don’t think this cigar is overpriced, especially for a premium stick, but I don’t think I would spend the dough again for the experience. There are a number of really great lanceros at this price point, and I believe Viaje could have really separated themselves from the pack by going a little lower on their MSRP.

Overall Rating : ★★★½☆
This was a hard cigar to review. I can’t say I really liked it or loved it. It had properties I liked and it had properties I didn’t like. It was pretty complex, but it burned hot and was kinda boring through the heart of the cigar. If you’re a lancero fan and smoke lots of them, then I would recommend this for your rotation. Otherwise, I can name two or three that would edge out this one if it came down to picking one for a newbie. Personally, I prefer the My Father Lancero, Illusione HL Maduro, or the Mi Dominicana from Jose Seijas.
amsgpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
maverickdrinker
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: art
Trading: (15)
Cohiba
maverickdrinker will become famous soon enoughmaverickdrinker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Viaje Platino Lancero

thanks for the review. Been eyeing this stick for a while and was curious about it.
maverickdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Thanks for the review...are they out yet? Can they be purchased online, if so, where?
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
amsgpwarrior
amsgpwarrior

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
amsgpwarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodQue View Post
Thanks for the review...are they out yet? Can they be purchased online, if so, where?
They have been out for some time. All the regular production lines at the moment are back ordered until September I think. So if you can't find them locally you will need to look online at retailers.
amsgpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodQue View Post
Contact Mark (NorcalMark) he has them at his shop still Tower Pipes and Cigars.

Nice review btw.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote