Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #581
Steelergar

Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Come on, should he stand toe 2 toe and play you punch me and I'll punch you. That's Wandy's game, not Franklins. Stick and move, hit the angles.

This should be a great fight. Vitor is looking pretty good and back on his game.
thats cool if thats how he wants to approach it. But than the UFC needs to get with the times and update how they score a fight and get off this boxing 10pt scoring system. More emphasis needs to be made on making a fight and how it finishes. and less on if they take someone down but can't do anything. I see too many times in the UFC where guys dance around the final 2 minutes or lay on top of and hold people people like Rich did because they think there winning by points.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #582
Steelergar

Sengoku 9 starts in an hour, there is a live brodcast on Just in TV at 3:00am. Their having the featherweight grand prix finals. Marlon Sandro is a heavy favorite, is 14 -0 and trains at Nova Uniao with Thales Leites and Xande Riberio. Blagoi Ivanov (the guy that beat Fedor) is making his mma debut against Fujita. Also a guy I have alot of respect for and a true samauri Misaki is fighting the character Nakamura.
Enjoy, it airs on HD net on Fri @ 10:00pm.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #583
Steelergar

Stayed up to watch Sengoku 9 last night. I think that was the longest match I ever watched, it was over 5 hours. Some of the highlight were American Dan Hornbuckle had a great performance against Akihiro Gono who returned to Japan after some decision loses in the UFC. Hornbuckle finished him on a brutal head kick knockout and Gono could not move for over 5 minutes. I thought he was dead until I saw him breathing a minute or 2 after the KO, he had to leave on a stretcher. Misaki had a good performance against Nakamura. To finish he landed a flying knee the got Nakamura in a guilitine. I felt kind of bad for Nakamura he left the ring immediately with a towel over his head and you could here him crying loudly. Blagoi Ivanov had a not so impresive mma debut and won by split decision against Fujita. His punches while strong but were wild windmill puches that people in barfights use and he was exhausted after the 1st round and his ground game is suspect. He is tall and a southpaw which is what might have

Last edited by Steelergar; 08-02-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #584
Steelergar

thrown Fedor off. For the featherweight tournament the 2 best fighters did not make it to the finals. Hatsu Hioki had a impresive performance showcasing his great ground game, transitions and submission attempts. But Kanehara wouldn't give up and it went to the judges where Hioki won by decision. Hioki sufered from a concussion after the fight and Kanehara went to the finals for him. The Sandro vs Omigawa fight ended in a draw but the judges chose Omigawa to go to the finals. Sandro's team didn't care for the decision and hoisted Sandro up on their shoulders declaring him the victor. One of the judges even gave Sandro a one point advantage in the scoring. Omigawa went with a busted up left eye from Sandro went on to lose to Kanehara in the finals.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #585
Steelergar

Fedor signs multifight deal with strikeforce.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #586
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

“”I’m in Abu Dhabi right now and my reaction is Fedor is a [expletive] joke. [He] turns down a huge deal and the opportunity to face the best in the world to fight nobodies, for no money. Fedor is a [expletive]!”

Classic. Love Dana or hate Dana, he speaks his mind. I gotta say, I agree with him. You got Brett Rogers who while doing well, really hasn't been tested. You have Werdum who couldn't cut it in the UFC and you have Overeem who is constantly injured and has bailed on multiple fights in the past year or so. Strikeforce just wrote half their company over to M-1 hoping that Fedor will take them to the next level. I'm not drinking the Kool Aid. I picture Diaz leaving and coming back to the UFC and possibly Shields and Lawler following suit in the near future....
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #587
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
“”I’m in Abu Dhabi right now and my reaction is Fedor is a [expletive] joke. [He] turns down a huge deal and the opportunity to face the best in the world to fight nobodies, for no money. Fedor is a [expletive]!”

Classic. Love Dana or hate Dana, he speaks his mind. I gotta say, I agree with him. You got Brett Rogers who while doing well, really hasn't been tested. You have Werdum who couldn't cut it in the UFC and you have Overeem who is constantly injured and has bailed on multiple fights in the past year or so. Strikeforce just wrote half their company over to M-1 hoping that Fedor will take them to the next level. I'm not drinking the Kool Aid. I picture Diaz leaving and coming back to the UFC and possibly Shields and Lawler following suit in the near future....

The whole thing is so bizarre and senseless..
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #588
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Fedor isn't the best HW in the world. He used to be, but isn't now. For those who say he has nothing to prove, the only constant is change, and Fedor of the past may not be the same Fedor as today, and unless he fights in the octagan vs some incredible HW's in the ufc, he isn't the best imo.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #589
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if this move by Fedor is proof that he is scared, but someone in his camp is. They clearly wanted control over their fighter and the ability to put him in matchups that best suit him. Someone knew that the heavyweight division in UFC isn't something that he could conquer. M-1 wanted some sort of controling stake in UFC and it sounds like Dana wanted just a fight contract. Maybe eventually he will realize that M-1 is holding him back or that he isn't as good as everyone says he is. Time will tell if this move will even save Strikeforce.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #590
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

I have no reason to doubt Fedor as the best. He simply is. No one can match his stats. That being said, the less and less he fights, and if he starts fighting really irrelevant opponents...THEN we can make the argument that he can't be the best. GSP and Anderson Silva are already threatening to take his crown, in my opinion.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #591
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
I have no reason to doubt Fedor as the best. He simply is. No one can match his stats. That being said, the less and less he fights, and if he starts fighting really irrelevant opponents...THEN we can make the argument that he can't be the best. GSP and Anderson Silva are already threatening to take his crown, in my opinion.
Fedor used to be the best. Not now.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #592
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
Fedor signs multifight deal with strikeforce.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE FEDOR-STRIKEFORCE DEAL; UFC COMMENTS (UPDATED)
Monday, August 03, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com

Joost Raimond, Chief Operating Officer for M-1 Global, said the deal to sign Fedor Emelianenko to Strikeforce was completed Monday morning, just before a press release was sent to media outlets. Details of the agreement were finalized in recent days.

Emelianenko, the top-ranked heavyweight fighter in the world, will make his debut for the San Jose, Calif., based promotion sometime in the fall, his first time fighting inside a cage. Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz told MMAWeekly.com that Emelianenko is contracted for three fights.

The news came as an abrupt about-face to earlier reports that Emelianenko and his team were in the process of fielding offers from multiple promotions, including a lucrative proposal from the UFC, which clamored for the Russian’s services last week.

UFC president Dana White had just landed in the United Arab Emirates for the 2009 Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling Championships when he heard the news.

"Fedor is a ****ing joke, he turns down a huge deal and the opportunity to face the best in the world to fight nobodies for no money!" White commented to MMAWeekly.com via email through a UFC representative.

"I feel sorry for the real fight fans. I wanted to make the deal, but it takes two and it is VERY obvious Fedor doesn't want to fight the best, and doesn't give a **** about the fans," added the brash UFC executive.

Raimond said Strikeforce met M-1 Global’s chief demand to co-promote events which Emelianenko fought on.

“It was a good opportunity,” said Raimond. “(The co-promotion) is a substantial part. The whole set-up for the deal is to have co-promotion partners, and of course, Fedor is an important part of that construction. But the co-promotion deal is of great importance.”

Raimond declined to say whether the financial side of Emelianenko’s deal with Strikeforce was comparable or better to other offers.

“All the assumptions flying around about the offer are assumptions made by various people, and are quite unsubstantiated,” he said. “The financials behind his deal are based on a large number of factors, which include the co-promotion and co-branding activities, and Fedor is a part of that total deal.”

When asked whether Emelianenko would fight on CBS this fall, Raimond said, “It would seem that way, yes.”

However, he amended his statement shortly after.

“The timing for that cannot be confirmed,” he continued. “But of course, because of the broadcasting deals Strikeforce has, these things all become very possible.”

Kelly Kahl, Senior Executive Vice President for CBS Primetime TV, said he “wouldn’t rule out” a Strikeforce show on CBS late this year. He said his network had no direct hand in the Emelianenko deal, but stood to gain from it with options the network held to broadcast Strikeforce events.

“This was, quite frankly, a straight Strikeforce deal,” he said. “I don’t believe anything was represented on the part of CBS. Strikeforce and, I would assume, Showtime, get all the credit.”

In the press release issued Monday morning, Strikeforce stated Emelianenko’s first fight would be broadcast on Showtime. Afromowitz said a press conference announcing details on the new relationship was forthcoming.

Raimond said the new deal included plans to co-promote shows with Strikeforce overseas in Europe, where M-1 has conducted most of its shows. He said other M-1 fighters were Strikeforce bound as well, but did not name any names.

“We have a much more international view on the entire business, and Strikeforce is very U.S. domestic oriented, and we have always been much more internationally minded.”

Emelianenko, who returned to Russia Wednesday following a press conference in Anaheim, Calif., said he was happy to have a home again.

“I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level,” he said.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 AM   #593
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level,” he said.
White was right, Fedor _IS_ a retard.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #594
Steelergar

I for one don't agree with Dana White. He is unprofessional, imature and a liar. Also the rumor about the 5 fights for 30 million offer was false . It was more like 3 fights for less than 2 million each. I am probably in the minority but I think the Strikeforce M1 deal is a good thing for MMA. Because Strikeforce is cool with copromotion they can sign any fighter in the world that is not signed to the UFC. I also think Overeem is in his prime right know and a good challenge for Fedor. He completly dominated a fight with Cro Crop last year before a accidental low blow ruled it a no contest. No offense but Tough guys like Carwin and Lesnar grow on trees.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #595
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
No offense but Tough guys like Carwin and Lesnar grow on trees.
Hope there's none of those trees in my neighborhood.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #596
coastietech

Sweet!! MMA fans... If anybody in my local area wants to watch UFC 101 shoot me a PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #597
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I for one don't agree with Dana White. He is unprofessional, imature and a liar. Also the rumor about the 5 fights for 30 million offer was false . It was more like 3 fights for less than 2 million each. I am probably in the minority but I think the Strikeforce M1 deal is a good thing for MMA. Because Strikeforce is cool with copromotion they can sign any fighter in the world that is not signed to the UFC. I also think Overeem is in his prime right know and a good challenge for Fedor. He completly dominated a fight with Cro Crop last year before a accidental low blow ruled it a no contest. No offense but Tough guys like Carwin and Lesnar grow on trees.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #598
Steelergar

Strikeforce and DREAM are working on an alliance.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #599
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ofcourse the 30 million was a rumor. Dana and M-1 both confirmed that all their talks were behind closed doors and the person who leaked that rumor had no knowledge of the situation. The M-1/Strikeforce merger is great for M-1 and Fedor, now they have a controlling stake in a second rate forum. It appears UFC and Dana were not willing to allow a promotion come in with one fighter and take some kind of controling stake of the #1 promotion in America.

You really think guys like Lesnar grow on trees? That guy is a damn freak. College wrestler, entertainment wrestler, NFL, and now the dominant heavyweight in MMA. Find another guy who tips the scales at well over 265 with a physique like that and a resume like that

Quote:
Strikeforce and DREAM are working on an alliance.
Great, now they have a place for all the guys who can't cut it in UFC to go.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #600
Steelergar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Ofcourse the 30 million was a rumor. Dana and M-1 both confirmed that all their talks were behind closed doors and the person who leaked that rumor had no knowledge of the situation. The M-1/Strikeforce merger is great for M-1 and Fedor, now they have a controlling stake in a second rate forum. It appears UFC and Dana were not willing to allow a promotion come in with one fighter and take some kind of controling stake of the #1 promotion in America.

You really think guys like Lesnar grow on trees? That guy is a damn freak. College wrestler, entertainment wrestler, NFL, and now the dominant heavyweight in MMA. Find another guy who tips the scales at well over 265 with a physique like that and a resume like that

Great, now they have a place for all the guys who can't cut it in UFC to go.
your right Brock does have an impressive resume, look at all the guys he has beaten. Anybody who doesn't fight in the UFC just plain sucks.