Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 12-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default A shining example of poor customer service!

So I ordered three digits worth of pipe tobacco from Boswell's since I liked their aros I was gifted and wanted to try a whole bunch more. They have no on-line, so I sent a check on the 23rd. I included five bucks for shipping, to make the total an even $100.

Today comes the box with a note saying that shipping was $11, so they simply did not send one of the tobaccos I selected.

Pretty sad when a fairly big order is placed, and the vendor is so cheap. I am tempted to say something, and to NEVER order from them again! Perhaps I am being unfair, but I sure think this is a poor way to treat a potential good customer! (But maybe they get a lot of big orders and my $100 was a wee drop in the bucket for them!)
Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

First Name: Barry
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
bscottskangum will become famous soon enoughbscottskangum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A shining example of poor customer service!

Did they keep the difference between what they shipped and what you paid??? Or did it end up even?

Also curious if they said upfront what the shipping costs would be and then it ended up being something different.

Last edited by bscottskangum; 12-01-2010 at 06:44 PM.
bscottskangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Why not simply call you and ask for the difference before shorting you on the order? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to decide which part of your order was the $6 difference.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Darrell

What kind of company does that?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottskangum View Post
Did they keep the difference between what they shipped and what you paid???

Also curious if they said upfront what the shipping costs would be and then it ended up being something different.

That was the first thing I thought of.. Or didn't they give you a final price? Or why wouldn't they call you to tell you the order is more expensive?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
hotreds

Bolivar

Technically I guess they "gave" me $1. I ordered two ounces of stuff, coming up to $5 per flavor. So, they removed one flavor worth five bucks, and wrote off one buck in shipping.

Needless to say, many places give you free shipping on all or larger orders. There is nothing mentioned about how much shipping is charged- I reckon with your cc number they tell you a shipping charge will be added.

I also guess that they figured calling me would also reduce their profit margin.

Anyway, displeased with their business practices!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

I've never had an occasion to order from Boswell's, but it does sound like a poor way to do business.

On the other hand, I'd like to commend Jack at Sterling Tobacco for great customer service! I ordered some Klomplen Kloggen from them last week. I received the package today and Jack just included an invoice for the products and shipping. It's the old way to do business, but since Jack doesn't accept credit cards, he deals by check or money order. Sterling Tobacco

Charlie
Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

Montecristo
bscottskangum will become famous soon enoughbscottskangum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I also guess that they figured calling me would also reduce their profit margin.

Anyway, displeased with their business practices!
Communication is a key to quality customer service
Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottskangum View Post
Communication is a key to quality customer service
Exactly.

Plus with social networking being huge they could potentially lose a lot of business because of this or a future problem.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #10
Martel

Wow, I am surprised to hear this. I've dealt with the Boswells many times and never would have thought they would do business this way. I agree, this is a pretty crappy way to handle things. A phone call would have been nice...

Cheers,
G
Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 AM   #11
ABNMP619

Hugh, I think you should call them and express your dissatisfaction with them. Then I would be a snot about it and tell them that you have tons of friends in the smoking world and one thread on your favorite site would cause this business to lose a lot of money. See what kind of reaction you get out of them then. Maybe I am just too harsh though.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

A vendor should always call the customer if something different than what's ordered is shipped, cannot ship, not enough money or whatever.

For all they could've known, he may've doubled the order with other stuff... Every time you talk to a customer is an opportunity to sell.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Hugh, what tobacco did you order & what did they short?

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
hotreds

Bolivar

I basically ordered 2 oz of most of their aros. They shorted me the raspberry cream, which I guess is as good as any to short. I am surprised as well, they seem to have been around for many years, and I doubt a note saying that I owe them six bucks on my next order would put them out of business. Right now I don't know IF the WILL get a new order!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNMP619 View Post
Hugh, I think you should call them and express your dissatisfaction with them. Then I would be a snot about it and tell them that you have tons of friends in the smoking world and one thread on your favorite site would cause this business to lose a lot of money. See what kind of reaction you get out of them then. Maybe I am just too harsh though.
I agree. One of these days, these vendors will realize the power of message boards.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #16
ABNMP619

BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT! Sorry, just getting ahead of myself here.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Hugh, have you called to talk to them about your dissatisfaction?

I am all for informing others about poor service, poor customer relations, price gouging, etc..., all in the name of protecting friends. But if a company had a good reason, or if there was a miscommunication, or something else that happened, especially when a company normally has a stellar reputation, I am all about going the extra distance before dropping that hammer.

Matthew 18 seems to come to mind.

I'd especially like to hear what they have to say as to what happened. It might just be a new person packaging stuff who just didn't know policy or think things through.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #18
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I have always thought that just never returning to do business is the best revenge.
Oftentimes we over-use this "power of online forums" phenomenon to the point where
we make ourselves out to be titans of fairness and justice. They know they did some-
thing their way instead of the cutomers way. They don't realize that they lost a cus-
tomer yet, and it's likely they never will. There are so many other places to deal with
that too much fuss over this is a waste of time, IMO. Hugh and I know of something
that happened to me recently, totally unrelated, where I thought I was unfairly
treated. Instead of me just cutting the person off, I tried to find 'justice' and it left
a lot of bad tastes all around. They may never feel the pinch of being cut off by me,
but I WILL KNOW. And that's the best justice. From what it sounds like, there was no
measurable harm done, and you were not ripped off in the classic sense. Just move to
the next vendor on the list, lol.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #19
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I'm sorry to rain on the hate parade here, but Boswell's spell out their shipping costs right on their website:

http://www.boswellpipes.com/shipping.html

Having said that, yes, they should have called you.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #20
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
I'm sorry to rain on the hate parade here, but Boswell's spell out their shipping costs right on their website:

http://www.boswellpipes.com/shipping.html

Having said that, yes, they should have called you.
Just because there is a page that says "shipping" doesn't mean that the page actually says anything about the situation here...it doesn't even have a rate for shipping, the only thing it says is that you will be charged a 6% tax for shipping in PA. Nothing on there about how much to send for shipping or what they will do if they don't receive enough to cover the shipping.

Don't think that page pertains to anything that happened with Hugh