Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Darrell

Default The Balvenie 12 Doublewood

As my quest into the realm of single malt scotch continues I decided to pick up something I've yet to have prior to this review, The Balvenie 12 yr old Doublewood. This scotch is said to spend half of it's life in oak barrels and the rest in a sherry barrel, which makes it different from any other Single Malt, I've seen -- they tend to just live in oak barrels prior to bottling.

I grabbed my bottle of spring water, filled 1/3 of my old fashioned glass swished it around and tossed it, leaving just a few drops to allow the scotch to "open up" with the water that remained. I poured a couple of fingers of it and let it sit for about 3 minutes before I took a drink.

Before I took the first drink, rich oak smell with a tad sweetness hit my nose. I figured at this point, I was in for a treat. I took a first sip and a strange stiffness his my tongue, similar to other scotches I had, but not bitter or overpowering. The finish was long and smooth with this, giving you an almost fruit type after taste on the finish, I presume that comes from the sherry barrels, but having never had sherry -- I can only speculate. One thing I noticed particularly that I like about this as it appears to dry the palate quickly upon swallowing leaving that fruit type ambiance in my mouth, a wonderful finish IMO.

This is a tasty scotch that will without question become a staple in my collection, especially given it's bargain price tag of $32. I get the feeling this would have complemented a fine Cuban Cigar, as far as NC's go -- I'm not sure, maybe something a little lighter like a La Aroma De Cuba or an Ashton Cabinet. Nothing too strong. The Balvenie 12 yo Doublewood. Give it a try folks, I was not disappointed.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Balvenie 12 Doublewood

I enjoy an occasional Single Malt, but am by no means and afficianado. I looke for bargain SMs.

Having said this, the Balvenie 12 is one of my favorites.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Sounds tasty! I am learning to appreciate single malt scotches... will have to try this one for sure.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Sounds tasty! I am learning to appreciate single malt scotches... will have to try this one for sure.
Goes well with an Anejo or an Oliva V.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

This is my go-to Scotch. It always seems to hit the spot and seems to pair well with almost all my cigars. Glad you found a single malt you liked
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
This is my go-to Scotch. It always seems to hit the spot and seems to pair well with almost all my cigars. Glad you found a single malt you liked
I've found quite a few I like, just some are super pricey. I was hoping to find something for less than $60. I did with Balvenie 12.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

have enjoyed the balv 12 often, is a good scotch, most single malts are aged in either oak (majority) or sherry, a few like the Balvenie or some others are double or triple aged in different barrels which imparts a different taste....

this is a good one....
Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
This scotch is said to spend half of it's life in oak barrels and the rest in a sherry barrel, which makes it different from any other Single Malt, I've seen -- they tend to just live in oak barrels prior to bottling.
Doublewood is a nice easy going whisky which I find tends to pair nicely with maduro's as the demerra sugar and spice from the sherry maturation seems to complement the maduro earth and dark chocolates. However it's important to note that the whisky is aged entirely in oak, as it must be by law. Sherry hogsheads are constructed of European White Oak, so it's not like Doublewood is introducing another wood to the whisky.

Sherry hogsheads were the primary barrel back in the 19th century when that was the drink of choice of the upper class and the spirit was shipped from Spain in the barrel and bottled on the English docks making the barrel a waste product. Now sherry consumption has dropped and it's bottled at the distillery so the sherry distillers can reuse their casks making them more expensive to buy and use in scotch maturation. As a result sherry casks are much less common and Macallan is the only distillery to still use exclusively sherry casks for most of their line, the Fine Oak range being the exception. Aberlour's a'bunadh is another amazing sherry monster.

Now almost all scotch is aged in ex-bourbon barrels as those barrels are always a waste product since bourbon must be aged in new wood by law. In fact, many scotch distillery's have agreements with the large bourbon distillery's by which the scotch distillery's wood master selects the casked used for a specific bourbon so that they will get the flavours they want in their scotch after the bourbon is drained.

Jack Daniel's and Glenmorangie are prime example of this kind of partnership. The wood master for Glenmorangie selected the wood from the Ozzarks to be made into casks for the a part of the Jack Daniels production and specifie
ds the wood origin, construction and char level used. After the bourbon was drained Glenmorangie refilled them and a couple decades later Glenmorangie Artisan Cask emerged.

"Finished" whisky's such as Doublewood are quite popular right now, and have been for a couple years, as it's an easy way for a new distillery manager to put his mark on a product that typically takes at least 10 years to reach market. The other typical finishes are port and various french wines, Bruichladdich and Glenmorangie are the distillery's that offer the largest number of "finished" whisky's. If you can find a maderia finish, Glenmorangie used to offer one and Benriach still does", it's also a very nice touch.

Glenfiddich's 21yr is a rum finish, used to be called the Havana Reserva as it was Cuban rum casks used but that prohibited it's sale in the US so they changed the cask to a "caribbean rum". Their 15yr uses the solera tun method from brandy makers to marry 3 separate sets of wood maturation; bourbon, sherry and new oak. Also a very nice whisky along the same vein as the Doublewood.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #9
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Doublewood is a good one from Balvenie. If you like this one, I think you'll also like the Glenfiddich 15. Check it out.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

I'm new to SM, but this one has received good reviews. I haven't had the chance to try some yet, but hopefully soon.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
ashmaster

I've recently started to enjoy SM and this is one I truly enjoy.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Doublewood is a nice easy going whisky which I find tends to pair nicely with maduro's as the demerra sugar and spice from the sherry maturation seems to complement the maduro earth and dark chocolates. However it's important to note that the whisky is aged entirely in oak, as it must be by law. Sherry hogsheads are constructed of European White Oak, so it's not like Doublewood is introducing another wood to the whisky.

Sherry hogsheads were the primary barrel back in the 19th century when that was the drink of choice of the upper class and the spirit was shipped from Spain in the barrel and bottled on the English docks making the barrel a waste product. Now sherry consumption has dropped and it's bottled at the distillery so the sherry distillers can reuse their casks making them more expensive to buy and use in scotch maturation. As a result sherry casks are much less common and Macallan is the only distillery to still use exclusively sherry casks for most of their line, the Fine Oak range being the exception. Aberlour's a'bunadh is another amazing sherry monster.

Now almost all scotch is aged in ex-bourbon barrels as those barrels are always a waste product since bourbon must be aged in new wood by law. In fact, many scotch distillery's have agreements with the large bourbon distillery's by which the scotch distillery's wood master selects the casked used for a specific bourbon so that they will get the flavours they want in their scotch after the bourbon is drained.

Jack Daniel's and Glenmorangie are prime example of this kind of partnership. The wood master for Glenmorangie selected the wood from the Ozzarks to be made into casks for the a part of the Jack Daniels production and specifie
ds the wood origin, construction and char level used. After the bourbon was drained Glenmorangie refilled them and a couple decades later Glenmorangie Artisan Cask emerged.

"Finished" whisky's such as Doublewood are quite popular right now, and have been for a couple years, as it's an easy way for a new distillery manager to put his mark on a product that typically takes at least 10 years to reach market. The other typical finishes are port and various french wines, Bruichladdich and Glenmorangie are the distillery's that offer the largest number of "finished" whisky's. If you can find a maderia finish, Glenmorangie used to offer one and Benriach still does", it's also a very nice touch.

Glenfiddich's 21yr is a rum finish, used to be called the Havana Reserva as it was Cuban rum casks used but that prohibited it's sale in the US so they changed the cask to a "caribbean rum". Their 15yr uses the solera tun method from brandy makers to marry 3 separate sets of wood maturation; bourbon, sherry and new oak. Also a very nice whisky along the same vein as the Doublewood.
Thank you for educating me!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

This will be the next one I buy , maybe even this weekend!!!!
boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #14
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

It's a great Scotch Whisky Darrell, glad you enjoyed it. Try their other ones as well. I love the 21 yr but I'm not a big fan of the price.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
DougBushBC

I went to a nice Scotch/Cigar tasting event recently, and this particular scotch was paired with a San Cristobal cigar. The smoke was not my favorite (it was good, don't get me wrong) but the smokiness of the ballenvie and the sweetness of it added a lot to any spicy cigar I could grab.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
Lensjockie

Generally I do not prefer scotch, but the doublewood is by far a much mellower experience, and doesn't kill the wallet. One of my lontime friends also enjoys Johnny Walker Swing. A little hard to find but a less expensive alternative.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #17
SkinsFanLarry

Balvenie Doublewood is the very first SM I tried and I fell in love with it, I have tried many others and will always go back to my Balvenie Doublewood.

Your technique is perfect, never ever drink a SM with ice cubes!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #18
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

Anyone have any experience with their 12 yr signiture scotch, no oak, all sherry I believe.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote