Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #641
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Anybody worried about the recent studies that found arsenic in wine? Will this change your drinking habits?
No, it's an over hype!!!

It won't change my wine drinking at all!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #642
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
"sideways" did a lot for me. It made epic older merlot's from the early 90's and older very affordable. Plenty of excellent older merlot floating around for great prices...

I just was outbid on some '92 duckhorn merlot mag's for like $50 each. I think my bid was around $45... Kind of pissed i did not chase them, but it's not like i need any more wine...
ttttrrrruuuuth!!!!
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:59 AM   #643
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Anybody worried about the recent studies that found arsenic in wine? Will this change your drinking habits?
Arsenic is organic, as is copper which is also used a lot. Don't buy 2 Buck Chuck and the like.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #644
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Drinking a home made Lodi Ranch Cab Sav and Broadbent Rainwater Madiera (first time ever drinking Madiera)
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #645
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Drinking a home made Lodi Ranch Cab Sav and Broadbent Rainwater Madiera (first time ever drinking Madiera)
I truly hope you enjoy the Madeira. Leacock's Rainwater Madeira is my go to, with respect to Madeira.

If you enjoy it, I recommend that you try Blandy's Malmsey 5yo Madeira, very rich and flavorful. Also, for a special treat, try Sandeman Fine Rich Madeira. It's exceptional.

If you try them, I'd love to hear what you think of them.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:32 AM   #646
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

With Madeira, I would suggest a 10 year minimum. Rainwater and 5 year just don't cut it for me... I'd rather drink Sherry at that price point.

I really like Broadbent's Colheita Madeira or 10 year. Their 10 year is the best value in Madeira as a whole IMO. D'Oliveira's 10 year is a close 2nd place.

If you had to drink a 5 year, Broadbent's probably your best bet. I haven't been a fan Blandy's "bread and butter" Madeira's and don't like the 500 ML bottles.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #647
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
With Madeira, I would suggest a 10 year minimum. Rainwater and 5 year just don't cut it for me... I'd rather drink Sherry at that price point.

I really like Broadbent's Colheita Madeira or 10 year. Their 10 year is the best value in Madeira as a whole IMO. D'Oliveira's 10 year is a close 2nd place.

If you had to drink a 5 year, Broadbent's probably your best bet. I haven't been a fan Blandy's "bread and butter" Madeira's and don't like the 500 ML bottles.
Thanks for your opinions. We all have them and they are very subjective. What one likes, others may not. That is why tastings are what it takes, to truly find out what one likes.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #648
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Thanks for your opinions. We all have them and they are very subjective. What one likes, others may not. That is why tastings are what it takes, to truly find out what one likes.
Rainwater and 5 Year are bottom of the barrel of Madeira; regardless of the producer. I do not believe Sandeman is selling anything beyond the most basic variety.

The other Madeira that is worth of mention without being too expensive is the Rare Wine Company Historic series. They range from dry to sweet. I think there is like 5-6 different ones. They are produced by Barbeito, which I think is one of the better vintage producers. I like their dry to medium editions the best.

If you want to spend a little more without being crazy... 1977 D'Oliveira Terrantez Madeira at around $150 or 1968 Vintage are two excellent ones.

As a whole, Madeira has climbed in price similar to what 1er Cru Bordeaux has and may be out of sight in the near future. 19th century bottles for like $200 are long gone...
Old 04-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #649
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Rainwater and 5 Year are bottom of the barrel of Madeira; regardless of the producer. I do not believe Sandeman is selling anything beyond the most basic variety.

The other Madeira that is worth of mention without being too expensive is the Rare Wine Company Historic series. They range from dry to sweet. I think there is like 5-6 different ones. They are produced by Barbeito, which I think is one of the better vintage producers. I like their dry to medium editions the best.

If you want to spend a little more without being crazy... 1977 D'Oliveira Terrantez Madeira at around $150 or 1968 Vintage are two excellent ones.

As a whole, Madeira has climbed in price similar to what 1er Cru Bordeaux has and may be out of sight in the near future. 19th century bottles for like $200 are long gone...
Again, I thank you for your thoughts. Obviously your taste and wallet are far above my range. I am quite happy with 5yo and 10yo Malmsey and the Rainwater. Personally, I will not spend over $30/$35 for any bottle of Wine.
However, it's a whole different story, when it comes to Bourbons, Scotches, etc. But then again, that's just me!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #650
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #651
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Again, I thank you for your thoughts. Obviously your taste and wallet are far above my range. I am quite happy with 5yo and 10yo Malmsey and the Rainwater. Personally, I will not spend over $30/$35 for any bottle of Wine.
However, it's a whole different story, when it comes to Bourbons, Scotches, etc. But then again, that's just me!
You should be able to find 10 year Madeira for $30ish. I was buying D'Oliveira's 10 year for $25. Broadbent 10 for under $40 is a good buy.

What kind of Scotch could one buy under $35 that is worth talking about? There's no spirit that can compete with depth & length of flavors of a great Madeira, but they are just different animals.

I am gifted a lot of nice spirits, but hardly ever drink them. My girlfriend is more into them than I. Recently I added a little Arbeg Supernova to our bottle of JW Black and boy it did it transform the Black to another level. I hardly added any. I was told the Black use to use more of it like 40 years ago... Thought I'd try to recreate that blend...
Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #652
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
You should be able to find 10 year Madeira for $30ish. I was buying D'Oliveira's 10 year for $25. Broadbent 10 for under $40 is a good buy.

What kind of Scotch could one buy under $35 that is worth talking about? There's no spirit that can compete with depth & length of flavors of a great Madeira, but they are just different animals.

I am gifted a lot of nice spirits, but hardly ever drink them. My girlfriend is more into them than I. Recently I added a little Arbeg Supernova to our bottle of JW Black and boy it did it transform the Black to another level. I hardly added any. I was told the Black use to use more of it like 40 years ago... Thought I'd try to recreate that blend...
The only Scotch that's in the $35 range, worthy of mention, is JW Black. It's my go to Scotch. Nothing else I can think of.

That's interesting about adding Arberg to the JW Black. Do you think that the heavy peat is what makes the change to another level?

Do you think adding a small percentage, maybe an 80% Black to a 20% Talisker would work? I don't have any Arberg.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #653
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Went to Total Wine tonight got- Warres 2001 LBV (unfiltered), Greek Cellars Mavrodaphne, and Sandeman Fine Rich Madiera

Moses- Thank you for your input as always when I'm more financially set I will def be trying some of your suggestions at TW I saw Broadbent Colheita Madiera but was not in my budget I bet much so enjoyed the Madiera I had the other night, are other there other Madieras (dryer kinds?) that have a little more body to them? It is a nice change of pace from Porto and yet similar I will be adding Madieras to routine!

John- also thanks for your input as well your the reason I got the Sandeman Fine Rich!

Last edited by Gabe215; 04-03-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #654
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
The only Scotch that's in the $35 range, worthy of mention, is JW Black. It's my go to Scotch. Nothing else I can think of.

That's interesting about adding Arberg to the JW Black. Do you think that the heavy peat is what makes the change to another level?

Do you think adding a small percentage, maybe an 80% Black to a 20% Talisker would work? I don't have any Arberg.
Start with 5% Ardbeg or Lagavulin (any heavy peet Scotch) and see how that goes. Maybe 10% max. Not much is needed at all really. I served the "improved" Black blind to someone and they knew right away in a good way something was different.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #655
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Went to Total Wine tonight got- Warres 2001 LBV (unfiltered), Greek Cellars Mavrodaphne, and Sandeman Fine Rich Madiera

Moses- Thank you for your input as always when I'm more financially set I will def be trying some of your suggestions at TW I saw Broadbent Colheita Madiera but was not in my budget I bet much so enjoyed the Madiera I had the other night, are other there other Madieras (dryer kinds?) that have a little more body to them? It is a nice change of pace from Porto and yet similar I will be adding Madieras to routine!

John- also thanks for your input as well your the reason I got the Sandeman Fine Rich!
My favorite styles of Madeira Verdelho, Terrantez (everyone loves that one), and Bual. Sercial is nice (drier version). Verdelho is a good balance if you like them on the sweeter side. Malmsey is the sweetest. Since the Madeira doesn't go bad once open, consider the purchase more like a Scotch. You can buy one fancier bottle and then move on to the 5-10 year after. Always end the night with Madeira. If you start with Madeira and then go Port; the acidity in the Madeira will overwhelm the flavors you get the Port.

I like to line up a night's tasting in order of acidity (weak to strong).
Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #656
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #657
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

That looks to be the Madeira in your glass, no?
Old 04-15-2015, 03:13 AM   #658
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Si Senior
Old 05-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #659
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I don't drink a lot of wines, but this is one of my favorites. Paired so well with my steak dinner. Good thing I'm headed back to Argentina next month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.1 KB, 308 views)
Old 05-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #660
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I don't drink a lot of wines, but this is one of my favorites. Paired so well with my steak dinner. Good thing I'm headed back to Argentina next month.
Haven't that wine, but Catena is one of the most famous producers from the region. I'd imagine it was indeed pretty good.

Do you bring any wine back from Argentina? I have a travel wine suit case I use for such purposes. Can hold 12 bottles.