Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #1621
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Games thread!

To me D3 looked like Diablo + WoW + Torchlight. I played the first Torchlight and didn't like it. To me it was VERY redundant and boring.

What's the verdict on D3, is it too cartoony or WoW-Like? Or is it still pretty dark? Why did they remove the Paladin
Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #1622
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Yeah reinstalled Torchlight to give it a second play through. I have to say my assessment was correct. ~10 hours of quests and such then just a never ending dungeon. Not much story to this game at all. Boring quests too, usually killing something or finding an item.

Diablo 2, for me, was better than Torchlight.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #1623
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

I don't see D3 as cartoony. I think Diablo 3 stayed true to the Diablo name - it feels similar to Diablo 2.

My Demon Hunter is up to 43 now and is in Act 3 Nightmare. I also started up a couple of hardcore characters - a level 10 Monk and a level 9 Wizard. I'm gonna try to level them about the same pace along with one of my friends.

My complaints so far are really, really minimal. I wish the auction house had an in-game version. I still wish I could use WASD to move (I understand that it would break from the Diablo history...but still).

...that's pretty much it. It is a game that feels solid. It is obvious that they took their time and did it right. Everything has been tested over and over again. I'm at about 20-30 hours put into it so far I think...not anywhere close to tired of it. I keep hoping that I'll find a reason to go home early and play some more

I've played about half of that time 100% solo and half of that time with a group of friends. Fun both ways - although I prefer having a couple of friends on Ventrilo. The most fun was when we all made it to nightmare and raced through Act I in different games. Lamenting the decision of whether or not to take a break to go pee, hearing my friend scream that she is so bad at reading minimaps, and calling out fake updates about where I was to throw them off was just too much fun
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #1624
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Really? That was my biggest complaint, it looked like they differed from the usual Diablo form. Do you get attributes to choose? I heard they auto-leveled that and you could only pick the skills/talents. Also I've heard there is no cow level
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #1625
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint View Post
I tell ya... It's nice. I like it and I don't regret buying it.

But... I'm having a hard time figuring out why it's better than Torchlight.
My thoughts exactly. I think I actually prefer Torchlight to it and am really looking forward to the second game.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #1626
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
My thoughts exactly. I think I actually prefer Torchlight to it and am really looking forward to the second game.
I'll agree with the redundant complaint about Torchlight. But the game mechanics are just better. The whole pet thing is a scream and there's all kinds of enchanting/adorning stuff to keep you busy.

When I leveled in D3 and saw the skills screen I was overcome with massive "...really? that's it? THAT'S my customization option?" They really fell down hard on that. Unless something's coming that i haven't seen yet... something huge.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #1627
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

You pick skills / talents + runes for each skill / talent.

The biggest let down is that you can only pick from ~4 skills per key...unless you turn on "elective mode". Then you can put any of the ~24 skills on any key you please. (Don't ask me why this isn't on by default. I guess it is to keep the noobs from making the game unplayable or something?)

You have 24 skills plus about 6-7 runes per skill (I'm having to estimate because I'm at work). This leaves for ~144 - 168 possible combinations.

I've been reading quite a bit online (specifically on Reddit) about Diablo 3 an the complaints behind it. I'm seeing a lot of people say they feel the game is solid overall - but it just doesn't feel like a Diablo game to them. So maybe I'm completely wrong. But at least in terms of control scheme and such it feels like a Diablo game to me. Past about level 10 (the first hour or so) I haven't felt restricted on my skills in the least.

OH! There's also 3 passive skill slots. You pick from ~10-15 passive skills to go in any of those 3 slots. There's plenty of various combinations you can run. There only seems to be one required skill per class - it is the skill that removes any movement speed effects and what not. It is pretty much required starting about Act III in Nightmare (or at least for me it is).

And yes, you're correct - there is no cow level. There is still a secret level in some form that I haven't researched because I don't want to spoil the surprise - but it isn't a cow level.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #1628
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
You pick skills / talents + runes for each skill / talent.

The biggest let down is that you can only pick from ~4 skills per key...unless you turn on "elective mode". Then you can put any of the ~24 skills on any key you please. (Don't ask me why this isn't on by default. I guess it is to keep the noobs from making the game unplayable or something?)

You have 24 skills plus about 6-7 runes per skill (I'm having to estimate because I'm at work). This leaves for ~144 - 168 possible combinations.

I've been reading quite a bit online (specifically on Reddit) about Diablo 3 an the complaints behind it. I'm seeing a lot of people say they feel the game is solid overall - but it just doesn't feel like a Diablo game to them. So maybe I'm completely wrong. But at least in terms of control scheme and such it feels like a Diablo game to me. Past about level 10 (the first hour or so) I haven't felt restricted on my skills in the least.

OH! There's also 3 passive skill slots. You pick from ~10-15 passive skills to go in any of those 3 slots. There's plenty of various combinations you can run. There only seems to be one required skill per class - it is the skill that removes any movement speed effects and what not. It is pretty much required starting about Act III in Nightmare (or at least for me it is).

And yes, you're correct - there is no cow level. There is still a secret level in some form that I haven't researched because I don't want to spoil the surprise - but it isn't a cow level.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll give it some more effort. It's just not pulling me in at all. I can't get enthusiastic about it, which is odd. Maybe Demon Hunter's not for me.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #1629
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
I'll give it some more effort. It's just not pulling me in at all. I can't get enthusiastic about it, which is odd. Maybe Demon Hunter's not for me.
I'm loving it. I actually got up an hour early today to play before I came in to work
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #1630
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
I'm loving it. I actually got up an hour early today to play before I came in to work
Posted via Mobile Device
I started a zerk last night after getting only to L15 or so with the Demon Hunter. I really want to like it more than I do.

Now Warlock is soaking up time like almost nothing I've ever played. I'm still no good at it but I'm making progress.

I just wish someone would license a digital download edition of C&C Generals (with zero hour as well.) I'd never ever leave my computer. But the load times on those discs is crazy.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #1631
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Anyone played the Torchlight II beta? Seems much better than the first one, yet still not sold on it being a complete game.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #1632
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Anyone played the Torchlight II beta? Seems much better than the first one, yet still not sold on it being a complete game.
Wish I had. Didn't know it was out there. As much as I enjoyed 1, I'm not going to submit a counter argument to most of the complaints about it.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #1633
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Up to level 59 in Diablo 3 now on my Demon Hunter. 60 is the cap but I still have an entire difficulty to go, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #1634
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Can't say much about the story but the gameplay for Max Payne 3 is

Bullet time is back, and it rules
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #1635
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
Up to level 59 in Diablo 3 now on my Demon Hunter. 60 is the cap but I still have an entire difficulty to go, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Played a few levels last night. I'm starting to forget it's there. I fear it's going to go the route of Kingdoms of Amablablabla.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #1636
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
Played a few levels last night. I'm starting to forget it's there. I fear it's going to go the route of Kingdoms of Amablablabla.
Kingdoms of Amalur's creating company (38 studios) actually shut its doors back on the 24th of May. Sad times

Anyway - I got 60 on D3 last night. Gonna try to start up on Sniper Elite V2 again. I've been tunnel visioned on D3 since its release >.>
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #1637
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
Kingdoms of Amalur's creating company (38 studios) actually shut its doors back on the 24th of May. Sad times

Anyway - I got 60 on D3 last night. Gonna try to start up on Sniper Elite V2 again. I've been tunnel visioned on D3 since its release >.>
Posted via Mobile Device
I dunno. I don't like to see any of these places close their doors but the game was just not any good. It was polished and entirely vapid.

For the last 4-5 weeks I've actually been, erm... focusing on. well.

EQ2.

ZOMGZITSSOGOOD!!!!1!!1!!11!!ELEVENTY!!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #1638
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Can't say much about the story but the gameplay for Max Payne 3 is

Bullet time is back, and it rules
Finished it. A decent story, it led where you thought it would...it had to. The game-play was fun though. I feel like there is more to the game that I missed, admittedly I played it through for the story and rushed it. I'll spend a bit more time and see how things play out next time.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #1639
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
I dunno. I don't like to see any of these places close their doors but the game was just not any good. It was polished and entirely vapid.

For the last 4-5 weeks I've actually been, erm... focusing on. well.

EQ2.

ZOMGZITSSOGOOD!!!!1!!1!!11!!ELEVENTY!!
It looks like EQ2 will let your webcam watch your face to determine what facial expression your character should hold

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #1640
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

I... I might ACTUALLY be that nerdy.

God help me.