Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
GTCanuk
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Paul (AKA Darrel)
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
GTCanuk is on a distinguished road
Default Work issue

Does any body else have to be on-call 24/7 for a week or 2 at at time. If so do you get any additional compensation for being on-call after working a normal 8 hour day?
Posted via Mobile Device
GTCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Work issue

My co-worker is on call 24/7 without rotation (it used to be rotation but he just volunteered for full time on call). Basically, when not at work (the 8 hours a day) he gets like...a couple bucks an hour for being on call, and if anything comes up, normal pay for when he's working on an issue. So it ends up being a few hundred more a paycheck for being on call.

Having said that, my friend is on call for a week every 5th week, and he doesn't get compensation for it seeing as he's salary and it's just considered part of his job.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Pistol

I'm on call 24/7 unless I'm on vacation man. No additional comp, but it's part of the job.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I know our facilities guys do, but that was part of their contract. I've been on call this whole month but don't get any extra compensation for it.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

I was on a rotation a few years back, doing maintenance on the major airlines. Had a pager every third week, had to work my normal 8 hour shift then for every call out I went on I got 2 hour overtime no matter if it took 5 mins, then a 65 dollor call out fee every time I had to come out to the airport from home. and 25$ a day on the weekends for just having the pager. That sounds like a lot now that I write it all out, but it sucked!! I was at the airport or driving to or from the airport all the time.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
leasingthisspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCanuk View Post
Does any body else have to be on-call 24/7 for a week or 2 at at time. If so do you get any additional compensation for being on-call after working a normal 8 hour day?
Posted via Mobile Device
First question: Yep
Second question: Nope
Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
I'm on call 24/7 unless I'm on vacation man. No additional comp, but it's part of the job.
Kind of like me. I am not technically "on call" but I get alot of calls to fix problems or other work related stupiditynesses. I get no extra comp for it. So if I answer my phone its my own perogitive.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Except, I'm still on-call even on vacations. Darn blackberrys

Last edited by ade06; 06-03-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Editing is fun.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Yes. I get paid a stipend for being available and bill overtime if called. The stipend is ridiculously low, $2/hr, but it is an extra $256 per week for doing basically nothing. The biggest impacts being on-call has on my life are that I can't drink, obviously, when as I need to be able to work if required and I need to be within an hour or so drive of my data centre. I'm typically on-call 2 weeks per month and can count on 1 hand the number of times I've been paged so far this year, it's not really a huge imposition.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

But if I get a 2am call it counts as an hour of my time whether it takes 30 seconds or 59 minutes to resolve so my boss will expect me in at 10 instead of 9. My boss is cool like that, not an official policy.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
First question: Yep
Second question: Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
Except, I'm still on-call even on vacations. Darn blackberrys

Actually "darn smart phones, laptops, VPN, ad infinitum..."

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
nozero

Lightbulb Re: Work issue

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/ho...screenER80.asp

- FLSA Hours Worked Advisor

On-Call Time
An employee who is required to remain on his or her employer’s premises or so close thereto that he or she cannot use the time effectively for his or her own purposes is working while on-call.

Whether hours spent on-call is hours worked is a question of fact to be decided on a case-by-case basis. All on-call time is not hours worked.

On-call situations vary. Some employees are required to remain on the employer's premises or at a location controlled by the employer. One example is a hospital employee who must stay at the hospital in an on-call room. While on-call, the employee is able to sleep, eat, watch television, read a book, etc. but is not allowed to leave the hospital. Other employees are able to leave their employer's premises, but are required to stay within so many minutes or so many miles of the facility and be accessible by telephone or by pager. An example of this type of employee is an apartment maintenance worker who has to carry a pager while on call and must remain within a specified number of miles of the apartment complex.

Is your employee required to remain on your premises while he or she is on-call?

Yes

No

There's a continue button on the web page.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/ho...screenER80.asp

- FLSA Hours Worked Advisor

On-Call Time
An employee who is required to remain on his or her employer’s premises or so close thereto that he or she cannot use the time effectively for his or her own purposes is working while on-call.

Whether hours spent on-call is hours worked is a question of fact to be decided on a case-by-case basis. All on-call time is not hours worked.

On-call situations vary. Some employees are required to remain on the employer's premises or at a location controlled by the employer. One example is a hospital employee who must stay at the hospital in an on-call room. While on-call, the employee is able to sleep, eat, watch television, read a book, etc. but is not allowed to leave the hospital. Other employees are able to leave their employer's premises, but are required to stay within so many minutes or so many miles of the facility and be accessible by telephone or by pager. An example of this type of employee is an apartment maintenance worker who has to carry a pager while on call and must remain within a specified number of miles of the apartment complex.

Is your employee required to remain on your premises while he or she is on-call?

Yes

No

There's a continue button on the web page.
The OP's Canadian so US Federal Labour Laws don't apply.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
Cigary

If you are salary you are technically on call without benefit of additional pay...unless you negotiate that ahead of time with your employer. Each state is different in terms of overtime and things of that nature if you are an hourly employee. Check with your Union Contract or State law as far as what constitutes over time and how it is paid. I use to be on both sides of this being a Union Negotiator and a Plant Manager and things can be circumvented by the use of verbage in a contract.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Twice along the way I was approached with the "take this beeper, you're on call" thing.
I asked how they could possibly afford my overtime each time. I got a "you're not getting paid" line. To that, I replied, "Then expect my performance to be as such."
In the first instance, I was never on call very often. Mostly because I didn't answer the calls.
In the second instance, they got an answering machine.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
+1. If it breaks and they can't work around it, I go in, or at least try to talk them through a fix if out of town. Doesn't happen as often as it used to except with new employees (I try to keep backup equipment going good), but still does occasionally. The owner makes it worth my time at year's end, though. I have had to burn some vacation time in the past, but not often. Once got called in literally 10 minutes after pulling the camper in the driveway after coming back from Yellowstone, and spent several hours fixing a mess. It DID get me out of unpacking .

Oh, and once I was called at 1 in the morning by a new guy. Seems he was trying to defrost our breakroom fridge, and started chipping out ice in the little freezer and hit the freon line. He was a little flustered that I wasn't coming in to see about it, but he survived .
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote