Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #3281
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

I don't know. As far as I know it's the gen 3 too. Edit: The $398 is only the 9mm and 40 but I think you still get a discount on the 45. not sure of price on the 45
Old 11-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #3282
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
Yea nothing like a 42 once, $800 -$1200 dollar .45 that only holds 7+1 ?? Don't take me the wrong way 1911's are of my favorite design.....

A G21 sf a can be had for $535 and holds 14 rds.
A 42 oz gun that I can hold a pattern half the size of any Glock I've ever shot, guns are all about how the shooter feels with it.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #3283
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

I don't need a 1 Moa gun. I just need it to be minute of bad guy
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #3284
Robulous78

Quote:
Rob most of all the so called "features" you say that the Glocks are missing is what makes them the 1st choice of regular pistol shooters and military / police.
All glock models contain only 34 parts, 4 of which are in the magizine alone, all that other fluff: chamber indicators, de-cockers, back strap safety's is what attracts first and second time pistol buyer it doesn't not improve the safety or performance one bit, how many times have you heard of someone accidentally discharging a firearm say " I tought the safety was on" or " I didn't know it was loaded".if the shooter always assumes the pistol is hot that's the best safety of all rather then put your faith in a safety or chamber indicator! Also missing all the useless fluff improves reliability and keeps cost down look at the Beretta M9 (92 FS) it had 70 parts! I have worked part time for a gunsmith for 10 years, all the "features" are the items that fail.

Also Glock mags new can be had for $23/$24, i know a place right now that has PD trade in mags for the G23 for $9 ea!! You can also get Korean surpluses mags for $10-$12.
I understand your arguments completely... My first choice is a S&W .357 stub that has none of those features/parts...

My recommendation was for a FIRST firearm... Obviously Mac with his service is looking for something different but my suggestion was meant for someone unfamiliar with firearms... So some of those features undoubtedly make the gun better for new users...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #3285
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Tony, that Sig 1911 is sexy

Mac, shoot a few guns and get a feel for what you and Kellie feel comfy with, a 9mm is plenty of stopping power plus it's 17 rounds, 10mm's are great, .40's are great and .45's are awesome. If I was going .45 I would get a 1911, the Glock .45 is gonna be HUGE in Kellie's hand. Anyways I have been carrying a 9mm for 15 years and I have seen what they can do, really no wrong choice. But a 12 gauge is the best for home defense

Name:  m&p.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  2.9 KB

Name:  glock.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  2.9 KB

Name:  guns.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  3.0 KB

Name:  colt6920.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  2.4 KB

Name:  colt.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  2.8 KB

Last edited by Remo; 11-14-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #3286
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Thanks mike

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #3287
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlS4 View Post
Beretta 92FS then, pretty much same as the new military standard.
I have, and love, my M&P 9c. Sweet shooting gun and I'm very accurate with it. However, I bought my son a Beretta 92FS and it is one of the nicest guns I've ever shot. I love it. Very low recoil and easy to operate; it is a heavier gun, but I don't think too much so. I'd definitely try one of these out, especially if I wasn't trying to get one for conceal carry. Steve
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #3288
dijit
Have My Own Room

Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Tony, that Sig 1911 is sexy

Mac, shoot a few guns and get a feel for what you and Kellie feel comfy with, a 9mm is plenty of stopping power plus it's 17 rounds, 10mm's are great, .40's are great and .45's are awesome. If I was going .45 I would get a 1911, the Glock .45 is gonna be HUGE in Kellie's hand. Anyways I have been carrying a 9mm for 15 years and I have seen what they can do, really no wrong choice. But a 12 gauge is the best for home defense
When looking for a low recoil round with great knockdown power try the .357sig. I dont have all my fingers on my shooting hand and this round saved me from going back down to 9mm or even 380.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #3289
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

So... the only thing that this gun can kill is paper targets, but I'm really getting into competition shooting. This is my Steyr-Mannlicher one-shot air pistol

I shoot this gun at a reduced target 10 meters away, one-handed. The "7 ring" is about 2 and 3/8 inches in diameter and the "10 ring" is only 1/2 inch in diameter. In this pic, I was one point shy of a perfect 50
Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #3290
dijit
Have My Own Room

dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Hi Mac good choice I have the G21 sf & G30, with 14 rounds can't beat the 21
Keep in mind ergonomics too. Many times when it comes to home defense you cant see the sights and the "perp" is too close to worry about sights. Natural point of aim is something to consider. Glocks are great reliable weapons but even very experienced shooters can make an error. I have seen two slam fires from Glocks both older models either Gen I or II the later models I have not heard of these issues.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #3291
dijit
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR1205 View Post
So... the only thing that this gun can kill is paper targets, but I'm really getting into competition shooting. This is my Steyr-Mannlicher one-shot air pistol

I shoot this gun at a reduced target 10 meters away, one-handed. The "7 ring" is about 2 and 3/8 inches in diameter and the "10 ring" is only 1/2 inch in diameter. In this pic, I was one point shy of a perfect 50
Very nice! I am trying to find my son one of these. He shoots 4H competition air and .22 rifle.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #3292
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
Very nice! I am trying to find my son one of these. He shoots 4H competition air and .22 rifle.
I am new to it this year, but I am loving it and picking it up fast. My goal is to qualify as at least sharpshooter, if not expert, in pistol and rifle come December. But good for your son, I wish I could have started when I was younger!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #3293
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Glad this thread is taking off again! That's what I am looking for; getting everyone's opinions on guns for noobs. I have always hunted and I am comfortable with shotguns and rifles, but haven't had much experience with hand guns.

The wife and I are moving to the country and I'm looking into picking up the first hand gun. I have been looking at a few different ones at gun shows in the area, but I am leaning to the Sig Sauer Pro series SP2022 in the 40 S&W or 9mm. Not sure which to go with. The 9mm will be cheaper at the range, but the 40 will stop someone a little better.

Also looked at Glocks G23, and even though it was nice, I didn't care for the position my hand was in. I didn't shoot it though, so that may change.

Any input is appreciated, but I just like reading about what others are saying in the posts. Thanks guys
Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #3294
dijit
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR1205 View Post
I am new to it this year, but I am loving it and picking it up fast. My goal is to qualify as at least sharpshooter, if not expert, in pistol and rifle come December. But good for your son, I wish I could have started when I was younger!
My son got his first BB gun at 8 yrs old right after seeing "A Christmas Story" and yes it was a genuine red rider 200 shot repeating action BB rifle. lol He was and has been ever since the best shot in the neighborhood, but better than that all the local parents have gotten involved in firearm safety with their kids. He will be 11 this year and gets his airgun at Christmas and will get his first .22 next year. I believe in teach them to respect firearms and to be safe with them is the best deterrent to slow gun crime.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #3295
dijit
Have My Own Room

Cole, I am glad I found this thread and am enjoying the input and opinions I have read. I have fired the sig pro in 40 and 357 sig great weapon in either caliber. I would highly recommend going to a range that has the ability to let you test fire weapons you are thinking of buying. See what feels good, see which ones you can point downrange and hit the target without looking down the sights, and see which ones your hand or your wife's hand fits best. There are so many different sizes and shapes that its almost like being turned loose in a candy store!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #3296
PearlS4
Entering the fray

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
PearlS4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
I have, and love, my M&P 9c. Sweet shooting gun and I'm very accurate with it. However, I bought my son a Beretta 92FS and it is one of the nicest guns I've ever shot. I love it. Very low recoil and easy to operate; it is a heavier gun, but I don't think too much so. I'd definitely try one of these out, especially if I wasn't trying to get one for conceal carry. Steve
True for being heavier, and not ideal for concealed, it gets some poor reviews because of these facts. That's what I like about it though, a nice and big large frame semi-auto. I'm a bigger guy, 6'-5", and the large frame pistols like the 92 fit me perfectly, for some reason all the compacts drive me nuts!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #3297
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

What are some takes on the Kimber ultras for concealed carry. I've seen some complaints about slides locking up mid mag.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #3298
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilon View Post
What are some takes on the Kimber ultras for concealed carry. I've seen some complaints about slides locking up mid mag.
Don't anybody hate on me for this, just my take...well, it's not just MY take:

When the 1911 design gets shrunk down smaller than say Commander size, the odds of having problems increase. And sometimes those issues are very tough to sort out and fix. Having said that, Kimber (and others) have been making the 3" guns for quite a spell now, and there's been a pretty good learning curve.

My general rule about the subcompact 1911s is that if you have one that works properly all the time, don't go trading it off. Might not be so fortunate next time.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #3299
dijit
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilon View Post
The only issue I'm familiar with regards to the slide locking up is when feeding larger JHP 200gr plus stick with FMJ or JHP under 200gr and you should be fine. If you experience some sticking with these this can be fixed by polishing the ramp a little.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #3300
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Don't anybody hate on me for this, just my take...well, it's not just MY take:

When the 1911 design gets shrunk down smaller than say Commander size, the odds of having problems increase. And sometimes those issues are very tough to sort out and fix. Having said that, Kimber (and others) have been making the 3" guns for quite a spell now, and there's been a pretty good learning curve.

My general rule about the subcompact 1911s is that if you have one that works properly all the time, don't go trading it off. Might not be so fortunate next time.
Your entitled to your thoughts as are the rest of us, No need to preface IMO.

I am curious about your sources of info on the smaller .45's though, As I have had one on the "gotta have someday" list for a while and I will not have a unreliable gun for a CCW.
Closed Thread