Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
QUAZY50
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Alex
Trading: (0)
QUAZY50 is on a distinguished road
Default Coolidor Question

I have a cooler, I have a minimal amount of cigars at the moment(need to get more after coolidor is finished), and I want to make a coolidor. A friend of mine lined his with spanish cedar and gave me a bunch of spare strips and chunks he didnt use. My question is, after I clean and let it sit in the sun and such to get rid of the plastic smell, is it worth lining with the cedar? or should I just get some old boxes from my local shop and use those? Cardboard or wood boxes? Both?

I then want to get some beads (even though I tried them in my deskto humi and for some reason couldn't get it to work right so ended up using bovida packs).

So thats my question. Just curious on the thoughts of the cedar.
QUAZY50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Coolidor Question

The cedar is not a requirement. It acts as a buffer for moisture and has a pleasant smell (which can get into your cigars). There are many people who use cedar and many who don't. It's your choice.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

If you have them, use them. It's all personal preference. I use Cedar in my as the walls and the shelving.

J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Toss the cedar in the bottom of your cooler (no need to line it) get some Heartfelt beads (I suggest 65%),some distilled water, a good adjustable hygrometer and you're good to go. Go with wood boxes over cardboard. Just my
Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
QUAZY50
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0eybb View Post
If you have them, use them. It's all personal preference. I use Cedar in my as the walls and the shelving.

That is nice.. I wish I could do it like that but all I have is literally odd chunks haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
Toss the cedar in the bottom of your cooler (no need to line it) get some Heartfelt beads (I suggest 65%),some distilled water, a good adjustable hygrometer and you're good to go. Go with wood boxes over cardboard. Just my

That was my other thought. Just toss em in there. Thanks, right now I am useing 72% Bovida packs. I don't know why I use that RH but its what I have always done.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
XTRazzer is on a distinguished road

Try to get unfinished wooden boxes for storage. Ideally something that doesn't have a strong residual odor. But a few days in a large sealed bag with a cup of baking soda next to the box can remove odors.

Boxes aren't the only option. I've also seen various plastic baskets used for singles storage.

Cedar pieces or sheets can be attached to the lid of the coolidor with double stick tape. I used 3M molding tape since it was in the shop. As already stated the cedar isn't a necessity, but I got some sheets and blocks for free.

The blocks are set that way on the lid because there was a small gap where the lid hinges. Nothing that I worry about but the blocks do seem to help humidity stability.

The white racks are cupboard organizers. The large one covers the entire bottom with more cedar sheets and a few blocks below it.

Don't mind the sponge thing as this is an old pic from when I first put the coolidor together.

Name:  IMG_0792a.JPG
Views: 799
Size:  78.7 KB
(click to enlarge)
XTRazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
You can also use Shialal's beads; they are very effective in a coolidor. No matter whose beads you get, you definately need a good, adjustable hygrometer.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
QUAZY50
Still Watching My Back

I have an adjustable hygro I got from Heartfelt a while back. I hope to get this rolling this weekend. Do I need to "season" the cedar, like when you season a humidor?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
itzfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
You can also use Shialal's beads; they are very effective in a coolidor. No matter whose beads you get, you definately need a good, adjustable hygrometer.
I don't have any experience with the heartfelt beads but my Shialal beads work like a charm. very easy to chance the RH% that they're set to and best of all they come from a friendly BOTL that ships quickly.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Question...anyone prefer Igloo or Coleman coolers? Standard cooler vs marine?

I think I want to keep it under 80 qts so I can throw it in a closet. How many boxes can you get in a ~50 qt cooler or ~70 qt cooler roughly? I saw a link in one of the other threads about a coleman coller for $35 shipped, but didn't know if I should spend a few more bucks for a better one (or is it even necessary).

Last edited by jmsremax; 08-26-2010 at 09:31 AM.
jmsremax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Figures I would make a typo (Shialal instead of Shilala -- apologies to Scott!)... Just call me fumble-fingers

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
Yardgnome

I have 1 1/2 lbs of beads in my ~100qt coolidor, I just have all my singles in old boxes and what ever boxes I buy get tossed in. No lining and i've been pretty bad the last year or so I've just never got around to replacing the battery in my hygro, but before that it died it was rock solid at 65% for 3 years and I need to add water to the beads every 3-4 months everything still smokes great so i'm willing to bet its still at 65%
Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
Coleman, Igloo, and Rubbermaid all make good coolers.

In my post above is a Rubbermaid 48qt. Without knowing what size of boxes, I would take a guess that up to 12 is possible. The nice part about the Rubbermaid is it has a pin-hinge design versus a plastic strap. Granted there's no harm to a coolidor if the lid straps break just an annoyance.

Igloo Marine coolers work good if you're going to stand it upright and add shelves. These have molded in grooves that allow for easy shelves (as shown in J0eybb's post).

The Coleman Extreme and the Coleman with radio are thick walled coolers (more insulation). Not really something that is needed for a coolidor but won't cause any harm. A benefit to the design of these coolers is having good areas to install weatherstrip material because of how the lid fits with the bottom.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
They are all good; I prefer the Coleman Extreme coolers because the lids have a good seal.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
They are all good; I prefer the Coleman Extreme coolers because the lids have a good seal.

My only concern is no straps to keep it shut.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Figures I would make a typo (Shialal instead of Shilala -- apologies to Scott!)... Just call me fumble-fingers
Quote:
I agree with Fumble-Fingers ...if you go Coleman, make it the Extreme.

Quote:
I have a Marine Igloo (obviously you know that Jon ), and the seal on that is good enough where you wouldn't even need the straps. If you decided to go with the Extreme, you would be fine. The main decision maker for me was that I could pick up a 150qt Marine Igloo at Sam's for $68.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
The main decision maker for me was that I could pick up a 150qt Marine Igloo at Sam's for $68.
Which is now $64.88

I might go for the Coleman extreme......half the price on the cooler, the size is probably the biggest I could get into my closet, and the money saved will get me more beads.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
If it was my post, I meant the plastic straps some companies use for hinges on the lid. Some coolers use an actual hinge and others use a piece of plastic that is cut to flex (sometimes breaks). Regardless of brand, the cooler shouldn't need any sort of latch or strap opposite the hinges to keep the lid shut tight.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRazzer View Post
If it was my post, I meant the plastic straps some companies use for hinges on the lid. Some coolers use an actual hinge and others use a piece of plastic that is cut to flex (sometimes breaks). Regardless of brand, the cooler shouldn't need any sort of latch or strap opposite the hinges to keep the lid shut tight.
The deterioration of the plastic hinges could be an issue if the cooler was sitting out in the sun and cold -- exposed to the elements -- for an exteneded period. Somehow I don't think that is an issue with a coolidor

I picked my 120 quart up at Walmart for around $50 a few months back. Actually, I got two

Old 08-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #20
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
I picked my 120 quart up at Walmart for around $50 a few months back. Actually, I got two

Just order the Coleman extreme 70 qt cooler from Walmart yesterday....$36 shipped