Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road
Default English Blend Lovers

Among its advocates it's been described as leathery, smokey, campfire like. Some would say its complexity knows no bounds. While its detractors say that it reminds them of kitty urine.

We're talking about English Blends here. What I would like to know is which one is your favorite English blends, and secondly what would you consider the definitive English blend and why of course.

My favorite English blend would have to be Maltese Falcon. It's got everything that I like in an English, the Virginia's, the Latakia, dusty orientals. But I think the thing I love the most about it is the unique velvet-like feel you get while smoking this blend.

For the "definitive" English blend, I had to think long and hard about this. I've had quite a few English blends, but nothing to the point of exhaustiveness. From my limited scope of experience, I would have to say Penzance. When you open the tin, you are immediately greeted with the fusion of Virginia and Latakia. Everything that you read about Englishes, how you can discern each tobacco in the blend is there. Unfortunately it's just not for me or else it would be my favorite.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: English Blend Lovers

Squadron Leader. I don't think there is a more consistent blend out there. And it's been around since the First World War. I've been smoking it for years, it's always good any time of the day, and as an added bonus it has an awesome tin. Not just my favorite English, my favorite blend. If you haven't tried this one yet, find some but quick.

If Penzance didn't float your boat, try Margate. I like it just as much if not better, similar profile (I find it has a little less oomph) but ribbon cut. Good stuff
Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Demented

My introduction to English mixtures was by way of a locally crafted tobacco, the tobacconist didn’t have a name for this blend other than full English. It was the only English mixture I smoked for more than twenty years, would still be smoking it today, but the tobacconist passed on and the shop closed.

After trying a dozen or so tinned English blends (nothing came close to that old Full English), I settled in with GLP Westminster and have been smoking that for a couple - three years now. Smoked Maltese Falcon on and off for a while, it’s a good blend but doesn’t do it for me. And yes, I only smoke one blend. With tobacco (and coffee), once I’ve found something I like, I stick with it. No point wasting money trying everything under sun, only to end up tossing it on the compost pile if you don’t like it.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Wow... so many blends I like. SG Squadron Leader and Dunhill Mixture 965 are two of the defining blends to me in spite of themselves (one floral and the other quite mild).

However, like Demented, I have one blend I'd rely on if it was always available - Smokers haven 20th Anniversary Imported. That stuff is the stuff.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
mugwump
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
mugwump is on a distinguished road

I would nominate Dunhill's My Mixture 965 as a touchstone English blend with GL Pease's Westminster being the contemporary heir apparent. That being said, my most smoked English/Balkan is Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme as it has a robust flavor and is dirt cheap to boot.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
My introduction to English mixtures was by way of a locally crafted tobacco, the tobacconist didn’t have a name for this blend other than full English. It was the only English mixture I smoked for more than twenty years, would still be smoking it today, but the tobacconist passed on and the shop closed.
And you always have that little thought in the back of your head wondering "just where did the recipe for that English mixture go to anyways?"
Old 09-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

squadron leader, Maltese falcon, 965, and finally, if you can find it and don't mind spending the money ravens wing
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
squadron leader, Maltese falcon, 965, and finally, if you can find it and don't mind spending the money ravens wing
I just checked eBoy and saw that someone is trying to unload a 2oz unopened can at $100
Old 09-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
I just checked eBoy and saw that someone is trying to unload a 2oz unopened can at $100
Really? Boy, if they get that i'm sitting on a small gold mine here
Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Maltese Falcon
Chelsea Morning
Balkan Sasieni ( only because of the price, I treat this English like a Yard-Gar )
Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Gawith & Hoggarth Mixture #12 - for a dfinitive English mixture - smooth, sweet, and tastly.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Eli18

Cornell and Diehl DaVinci. It is 75% latakia and a very smooth smoke no bite or bitter taste. I Actually had a compliment on its room note.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
Martel

I would say the definitive English was Sobranie 759... I miss that stuff. I think Pease Westminster and Esoterica's Margate are great current blends representative of the breed.

Cheers,
G
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Thammy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tyler
Bolivar
Thammy is on a distinguished road

My current favorite is a local tobacconist's "Pirate's Passion" blend. Heavy latakia flavor with no sweetness and smooth smoking, a little spicy. I do like the Frog Morton tins as well.
Thammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
sobranie10
Living the Dream

First Name: ron
Partagas
sobranie10 has disabled reputation

My first choice Sobranie759 Ballanced very rich so good!
My second choice Plum pudding young but has character!
sobranie10 is offline   Reply With Quote