Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #61
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's a reasonable amount of cigars to have on hand?

I wish I could afford hundreds of cigars, however I am still getting started.
I have only been buying 5rs and singles to get a feel for what I prefer.
I currently only own about 20, very depressing.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #62
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
All of them.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #63
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I wish I could afford hundreds of cigars, however I am still getting started.
I have only been buying 5rs and singles to get a feel for what I prefer.
I currently only own about 20, very depressing.
Not at all--everybody here was where you are, at some point. It sounds like you are being very pragmatic about it. No sense spending money you don't have on cigars you won't like.

Enjoy the ride!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #64
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Anyone who has more than 500 is just a show off
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #65
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Depends on:
How much you smoke
What you like to smoke
The economics of smoking what you like

Lets say you like fresh cigars. Don't really care about sales and such and just pay the going rate when you need them. You also like a rotation of 8 different cigars and smoke 2 a day. Assuming you have 25 count boxes that means 200 cigars. Add in a couple week order cycle and a 3 month "stabilization period" and you get ..... Figure you start with 2 boxes of each and order a new one when you run out of the first.... so 400 in this example.

But.... what if you like cigars that are aged more? It becomes complicated if you are aging them yourself. If you pay the price to buy vintage, assuming they are available (bad assumption) then you don't need any more than in the first example.

Reality is in some form or another many of us purchase cigars with the intent to age them for future smoking pleasure. How long? Dunno, but lets take the 8 cigar rotation out to a 10 year aging cycle and see what happens.

You buy 720 cigars a year for 10 years = 7200 cigars
Then you can start smoking them as 10 year old cigars for the next 10 years. Of course you needed to be smoking along the way as well, so at the beginning of this cycle you need to buy the same 720 cigars a year for "consumption = 7200 cigars. So for the initial 10 year period you buy 14,400 cigars. You consume them fresh for the first 10 years and then smoke the 10 year aged for the next. Of course if you are planning on continuing the cycle... you need to keep buying.

This is all a personal choice that we arrive at by our own logic and preferences. Mine seems to yield around 25,000 as a good number to have on hand.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #66
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Not at all--everybody here was where you are, at some point. It sounds like you are being very pragmatic about it. No sense spending money you don't have on cigars you won't like.

Enjoy the ride!
Thanks, something deep inside me just wants to swim in a bathtub full of cigars though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Depends on:
How much you smoke
What you like to smoke

Lets say you like fresh cigars. Don't really care about sales and such and just pay the going rate when you need them. You also like a rotation of 8 different cigars and smoke 2 a day. Assuming you have 25 count boxes that means 200 cigars. Add in a couple week order cycle and a 3 month "stabilization period" and you get ..... Figure you start with 2 boxes of each and order a new one when you run out of the first.... so 400 in this example.

But.... what if you like cigars that are aged more? It becomes complicated if you are aging them yourself. If you pay the price to buy vintage, assuming they are available (bad assumption) then you don't need any more than in the first example.

Reality is in some form or another many of us purchase cigars with the intent to age them for future smoking pleasure. How long? Dunno, but lets take the 8 cigar rotation out to a 10 year aging cycle and see what happens.

Then you can start smoking them as 10 year old cigars for the next 10 years. Of course you needed to be smoking along the way as well, so at the beginning of this cycle you need to buy the same 720 cigars a year for "consumption = 7200 cigars. So for the initial 10 year period you buy 14,400 cigars. You consume them fresh for the first 10 years and then smoke the 10 year aged for the next. Of course if you are planning on continuing the cycle... you need to keep buying.

This is all a personal choice that we arrive at by our own logic and preferences. Mine seems to yield around 25,000 as a good number to have on hand.
I can't beleive I read your whole post, haha. 25,000
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #67
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

i like to have enough to survive the rapture, zombie apocalypse, and the next time the pirates win the world series
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #68
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Depends on:
How much you smoke
What you like to smoke

i think the answer is 17...but i was never good with word problems
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #69
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

This was fun enough to recycle it a bit.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #70
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Fun thread...

I do think it's reasonable to allow and expect long term storage. I don't have the stash that some BOTLs do have, but I have purchased some boxes for long term storage knowing I will have some nicely aged cigars down the road. Even though they're not my current rotation, they are cigars I smoke regularly and have extra boxes to ensure I have some aged ones down the road.

So with that said, I think 1,500 - 2,000 is a good reasonable number...
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #71
Kneo
The Second One

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (3)
Kneo will become famous soon enough

Man, I feel out of place. Currently I only have about 15 in my vino, but I have another 15 coming from a cigar monster order. Need to save some more pennies to get caught up I guess.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #72
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

You know, I've never counted how many i have in stock currently. I've always done my purchasing based on room. If I have room in my cabinets, I buy more, if I'm stuffed so full that I can't fit another stick, I try to give to the troops, give to friends, and make a few sales here and there. If I had to guess, I'd say I have 600-700 cigars in stock. to me, that feels about right.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #73
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm putting a couple hundred more smokes this week just to create a major storage issue. I'll have to reassess what I think reasonable is.